Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

P20 tips

I've never touched this material before and have a few pcs to machine on my Genos. I've been cutting 4150pht,4142pht,A2,1060 etc.. my entire life so how does P20 compare?

Is it abrasive? Does it work harden?  Run it like A2? 

Any input appreciated, thanks.

Soft, PH/HH (prehard or high hard), or Heat treated?

It's not difficult to machine at all, especially if you are already familiar with machining pre hard 41xx alloys. Compared the 41xx-43xx it is about the same in abrasion, it only work hardens for the most ham fisted machinists.

• Like 2

I will put in a recommendation here for the FS Wizard App. It was built by a guy who is a member of this forum. I think his screen name is Zero-Divide.

This App is very spot on for all recommended speeds and feeds. As you fill out the App data, you can be as conservative or as aggressive as you want. All starting values are nice and conservative. Going with the defaults will be safe on any decent machine.

For example, he lists 2 different P20 steels, under the material search function. (List is constantly being updated!)

It lists both P20 (330 Hb), and DME-3 (P20).

I chose the standard P20.

I entered a .500 diameter, 5 flute, with 1.0 length of cut. Hanging out 1.25 inches. Cutting parameters are 0.06 width of cut, and .875 depth of cut.

The speeds and feeds, stock, with no 'modifiers', gives us:

2215 RPM (roughly 290 SFM)

Feed 35. IPM (0.0032 per tooth)

Those values will cut great, all day long. However, there is performance left in the vast majority of machine tools.

Checking the HSM button (modifier), gives us:

3408 RPM (445 SFM)

54.8 IPM for feed. (Still at .0032 per tooth.)

Adding the 'chip thinning' modifier, gives us:

3408 RPM (445 SFM)

84.43 IPM for feed (0.005 per tooth)

The only modification I might make would be to decrease the radial engagement to .05 or .04 on a .500 diameter tool, if you are using the Chip Thinning modifier. Keeping that radial immersion low, means shorter tooth contact time, which really helps get the heat into the chip, by decreasing the time the tooth spends shearing off a chip.

• Like 2
On 5/8/2020 at 1:08 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

I will put in a recommendation here for the FS Wizard App.

I know the app well, I've been using it for years.

I just wanted to get some input that is different from plain ole numbers.