Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MCAM 202 Issue with mask on Arc

dwilson357

Hello,

In the past iterations of MCAM I typically would import a solid Autodesk Inventor model and move all solids to level 1.

On level 2 i would do a Surface from solids operation.

Then level 3 would be a Wire from Surfaces operation.

When doing a large face with many holes I would typically copy the surface for the face and copy it to a new level, curve on all edges, then mask on Arc the holes it made.

Once In a blue moon I would get a hole that wasn't round and wouldn't mask, but generally this worked great.

We just switch to 2020 from 2018, and I cannot select the holes in the manner anymore!

The curve on all edges isn't making hole but rather splines it seems. As such mask on arc won't select them.

Any suggestions on what  I can do?

Thanks,

Dave

curvealledges.png

Edited by dwilson357

If you were to check the face of the solid, I'm betting you would be out of flat by a very small amount...

Try using Create Curve slice about .0005" deep you should get arcs....

You can also try using project...and then Wireframe >> Refit Spline >> Simplify Spline

A few different ways to skin this cat

3 hours ago, dwilson357 said:

Hello,

In the past iterations of MCAM I typically would import a solid Autodesk Inventor model and move all solids to level 1.

On level 2 i would do a Surface from solids operation.

Then level 3 would be a Wire from Surfaces operation.

When doing a large face with many holes I would typically copy the surface for the face and copy it to a new level, curve on all edges, then mask on Arc the holes it made.

Once In a blue moon I would get a hole that wasn't round and wouldn't mask, but generally this worked great.

We just switch to 2020 from 2018, and I cannot select the holes in the manner anymore!

The curve on all edges isn't making hole but rather splines it seems. As such mask on arc won't select them.

Any suggestions on what  I can do?

Thanks,

Dave

curvealledges.png

You could also try model prep -> optomize

1 hour ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

Any reason you can't select directly from the solid?

Ctrl+click to select matching diameters or Ctrl+shift+click to select matching diameters on the same vector/plane quickly.

That selection method is driven by the same engine that drives Hole Axis that gcode references above.

I have found in the past when using mask on arc, If you use the solid or surfaces of the whole assembly, often times you wills elect the bottom of the hole as well.

This is one of those things where its just how I have done for the past 10 or so years and have never really needed to change my process.

The solution I used today was to use the create curve all edges on the solid and select the face I wanted.

Thanks for the help, I will take some time and try out each of the ways you guys are suggesting.

Dave 

• Like 1