Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

FACING A SPHERE

4VRGJ03

55 minutes ago, M4573RMZD said:

.but then we start talking about the savings in machining time as a high feed mill will have a higher machining time as compared to an end mill.

Not necessarily ,with an endmill you can cut at full depth at a high federate with a small stepover, you can check it out in the simulator.

58 minutes ago, M4573RMZD said:

c. I have 200 pieces to cut. I could use and endmill but how long will the endmill last as compared to the inserts on a High Feed Mill

With the correct feed and speed you won't have any trouble cutting your 200 parts without killing your tool,

where as the inserts might not last very long.

3/8 endmill is actually a good size.

Here is an example of a facing operation with an endmill 

Awesome answer and wish you had made those known from the very beginning. I used OPti-rough on 30 year old machines with no issues. Turn up the arm tolerance to max and the tolerance up to .01 or something great that your stock to leave by 50%. Now compare the code between them., With a High feed cutter I will normally run 60% of the diameter of the cutter. Seem I run people off from this board so I will be stepping back and taking a break from the board. You're in good hands.

3 hours ago, Tinger said:

Just curious, why only 512 megabyte. Mine is a 2 gigabyte card and it seems to be working fine?

The book says under 2 GB but we had problems with them. They would stop halfway thru reading into the matsuura vplus we have. Maybe would have been ok with drip feeding but we bought the transcend industrial cards.

On 5/14/2020 at 9:35 PM, megabyte said:

Not necessarily ,with an endmill you can cut at full depth at a high federate with a small stepover, you can check it out in the simulator.

With the correct feed and speed you won't have any trouble cutting your 200 parts without killing your tool,

where as the inserts might not last very long.

3/8 endmill is actually a good size.

Here is an example of a facing operation with an endmill 

That little nub in the middle is giving me fits lately in 718 Inconel.  I'm having to do some crazy stuff to keep from losing end mills.

1 hour ago, jlw™ said:

That little nub in the middle is giving me fits lately in 718 Inconel.  I'm having to do some crazy stuff to keep from losing end mills.

Yeah, I was thinking about that when I watched the movie, you would  probably want to leave a piece in the middle and zigzag it off with larger stepovers, you would drill a hole in the middle, but it's probably a bad Idea.

Probably just Peel Mill the Last square inch

2 hours ago, megabyte said:

Yeah, I was thinking about that when I watched the movie, you would  probably want to leave a piece in the middle and zigzag it off with larger stepovers, you would drill a hole in the middle, but it's probably a bad Idea.

Probably just Peel Mill the Last square inch

So, I've never had this problem before in any other material.  Not even 13-8 and 17-7 (that I've done a lot of).  I'm roughing a lot of 718 with 1/2, 3/4 and 1in end mills as of late.  So, my first effort was drilling a hole.  That was leaving a little sliver of thin material that was wrapping around the end mill.  My next and currently working method was to leave a stud or boss in the middle that was an approximate shape of the area geo.  Then go back and take a feedmill to ramp/plunge it off.  So far it's working but I'll try anything.