Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surfacing a chamfer

JB7280

Disclaimer: I'm pretty bad with 3D/surfacing toolpaths.  I have a .25mm chamfer, with a +/-.005mm tolerance.  I want to use the same tool I'm doing the face and the bore with, and surface the chamfer, hoping it'll hold it true.  I got a good toolpath with scallop, but there seems to be a lot of wasted cut.  I added a boundary, and it didn't seem to help.  Am i using the right toolpath for this application??

1694768596_Annotation2020-05-21072443.thumb.png.c4d4394ad1f89e73a18f071d6245f725.png

3 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Disclaimer: I'm pretty bad with 3D/surfacing toolpaths.  I have a .25mm chamfer, with a +/-.005mm tolerance.  I want to use the same tool I'm doing the face and the bore with, and surface the chamfer, hoping it'll hold it true.  I got a good toolpath with scallop, but there seems to be a lot of wasted cut.  I added a boundary, and it didn't seem to help.  Am i using the right toolpath for this application??

1694768596_Annotation2020-05-21072443.thumb.png.c4d4394ad1f89e73a18f071d6245f725.png

To make a chamfer?

Under 2d Contour -> Depth Cuts 

If you check the tapered walls box and set the taper angle you can use that to make your chamfer.

You can also choose step down or step up and set your lead in/leadout & depth cuts as usual.

1 minute ago, JParis said:

Could be depth settings, could be filtering settings.....

If you're filtering the path try loosening it a bit....depth settings or check surfaces in that use shouldn't be needed

I actually had to go into the flowline geometry settings, and change the start parameter.

Since you mentioned filtering, would you filter something like this?  When I first started with Mastercam, coworkers kind of said set it "this way" and leave it.  I'm later finding out that some of them aren't my best source for MC information.

Just now, JParis said:

I find on our machines a 66.65/33.35 (2:1 approx) with a .0006" settings works best...

You'll have to tweak to find what your machine like best

I'm thinking this beat up old robo drill is gonna scoff at it, no matter what i give, lol.  Thanks for the help!

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I'm thinking this beat up old robo drill is gonna scoff at it, no matter what i give, lol.  Thanks for the help!

In flowline if you use One Way you will get arcs if your filter is set for it. If you use Spiral you won't get arcs.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, JB7280 said:

Any idea why, with identical settings to your flowline path, mine does this?  (only difference I can see, is I'm using a .25 bull endmill with a .01 rad.1775052265_Annotation2020-05-21080834.png.673be05036cd7eec699f5a1c6fce277b.png

I am sad you didnt go with the 2d contour tapered walls! 

Imo thats the best way to cut a chamfer its super light.

15 hours ago, Rstewart said:

You can easily fix that in the Gap settings....

I adjusted my gap settings and didn't seem to have any luck.

23 hours ago, megabyte said:

I am sad you didnt go with the 2d contour tapered walls! 

Imo thats the best way to cut a chamfer its super light.

I'm going to do it that way as well, just for my experience.

4 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I adjusted my gap settings and didn't seem to have any luck.

I'm going to do it that way as well, just for my experience.

21 hours ago, megabyte said:

Actually in retrospect, since it is a constant shape, surface finish contour wraps surface really well,.

Try this one also if you like, it wont give you gaps. ^