Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Loading heavy aluminum billets HMC

Hello all,

Looking for ideas on lifting and loading 200lb billets on HMC tombstone.  Unfortunately I can not get our forklift to the machine location.  My first thought is gantry or jib crane maybe a manipulator.  I saw a really cool loading station on a FMS system that would lay the tombstone horizontal for loading but that is out of the question.  Any other ideas or best practice on how you are loading/unloading.

Thanks

John

11 minutes ago, Rstewart said:

Hey now!  

I resemble that remark😄

years ago I watched two stoners loading a 400 pound 4130 log into a big Okuma slant bed

They were so intent on watching the log which was chained to the left fork that they failed to notice 

the right fork punch a hole through  the screen of the control.

The boss had purchased a high quality engine jack for the job which worked well, but it was

"too much trouble".

We have over a dozen cranes at my current shop ranging from 50 ton down to 1 ton so I take stuff like that for granted now,

but I have seen many accidents over the years from improperly lifting heavy loads

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, gcode said:

A- Frame cranes

these are relatively inexpensive, certainly much cheaper than the potential damage/injuries you may incur trying to southern engineer it.

+1000

3 hours ago, gcode said:

two stoners

And how do you know they were connoisseur of the devils lettuce?

Weee they wearing cheech and chong tshirts?

😂😂

25 minutes ago, megabyte said:

+1000

And how do you know they were connoisseur of the devils lettuce?

Weee they wearing cheech and chong tshirts?

😂😂

because they were dogsh!t stupid and couldn't string a coherent sentence together to save their lives,

• 2 weeks later...

We have a small jib crane beside one of the load stations on our FMS. We load a lot of parts between 300-700lbs this way, it's a lot safer than cherry pickers and forklifts, but either of those methods can work fine as long as you don't have dummies operating the equipment.