J Coulston

Loading heavy aluminum billets HMC

Hello all,

Looking for ideas on lifting and loading 200lb billets on HMC tombstone.  Unfortunately I can not get our forklift to the machine location.  My first thought is gantry or jib crane maybe a manipulator.  I saw a really cool loading station on a FMS system that would lay the tombstone horizontal for loading but that is out of the question.  Any other ideas or best practice on how you are loading/unloading.

Thanks

John

A- Frame cranes

these are relatively inexpensive, certainly much cheaper than the potential damage/injuries you may incur trying to southern engineer it.

49 minutes ago, gcode said:

trying to southern engineer it.

Hey now!  

I resemble that remark😄

They do make some nice hyd lift carts that are somewhat cantilevered.  What I use on a VMC works well, although maybe not enough reach on a Horz

11 minutes ago, Rstewart said:

Hey now!  

I resemble that remark😄

years ago I watched two stoners loading a 400 pound 4130 log into a big Okuma slant bed

They were so intent on watching the log which was chained to the left fork that they failed to notice 

the right fork punch a hole through  the screen of the control.

The boss had purchased a high quality engine jack for the job which worked well, but it was

"too much trouble".

We have over a dozen cranes at my current shop ranging from 50 ton down to 1 ton so I take stuff like that for granted now,

but I have seen many accidents over the years from improperly lifting heavy loads

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, gcode said:

A- Frame cranes

these are relatively inexpensive, certainly much cheaper than the potential damage/injuries you may incur trying to southern engineer it.

+1000

3 hours ago, gcode said:

two stoners

And how do you know they were connoisseur of the devils lettuce?

Weee they wearing cheech and chong tshirts?

😂😂

25 minutes ago, megabyte said:

+1000

And how do you know they were connoisseur of the devils lettuce?

Weee they wearing cheech and chong tshirts?

😂😂

because they were dogsh!t stupid and couldn't string a coherent sentence together to save their lives,

• Haha 1

I had to load a 19" dia 21 inch long slug if aluminum into our mx 850.  There is enough room on the part we used a cordless drill and stuck two eye bolts 180° apart And chained and hoisted it in