Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating an edge loop on a surface on an imported surface from solidworks

InsigMath

Hello everyone,

I have a father who is using Mastercam x9 and he has a 3d object/surface imported from solidworks. He wants to split the object in half but it is not a regular polyhedron, is there an easy way to split an object or adding an edge loop around an object. We tried the under Surface "Split face" but that did not seem to work. Does he just have to manually add edges around the object or is there an automated way to intelligently create that edge loop. I know next to nothing about Mastercam so I am not even sure if I am articulated the question very well. I do know a little 3d from blender for instance, in that software you can create an edge loop around an object and then split the object in half, is there some sort of equivalent functionality in Mastercam. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

4 minutes ago, InsigMath said:

Hello everyone,

I have a father who is using Mastercam x9 and he has a 3d object/surface imported from solidworks. He wants to split the object in half but it is not a regular polyhedron, is there an easy way to split an object or adding an edge loop around an object. We tried the under Surface "Split face" but that did not seem to work. Does he just have to manually add edges around the object or is there an automated way to intelligently create that edge loop. I know next to nothing about Mastercam so I am not even sure if I am articulated the question very well. I do know a little 3d from blender for instance, in that software you can create an edge loop around an object and then split the object in half, is there some sort of equivalent functionality in Mastercam. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

The function you are looking for called boolean, It is under the model prep menu, it involve overlapping two 3d models and choosing boolean add/remove or common.

48 minutes ago, InsigMath said:

So would you suggest making a plane for instance that splits the piece and doing a boolean operation?

You don't need to make a plane, you could just positing the edge of a large cube overlapping the area you want to remove using the dynamic xform tool.

Make sure the 3d solid primitive is completely overlapping the section you want to remove.