Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe overlap feed rate

Goldorak

I'm calling the Lathe gurus here, 

I want to know if someone find a way to increase overlapping feed rate in lathe's Roughing cycle 

with small passes at high RPM it doesn't makes a big difference but with .750 DOC at 25 RPM it's looooooooonnnnnnnnngggggg 

for now i turn overlapping off and make a semi-finish pass but the tool suffer in vertical walls 

TIA 

Martin 

overlap.jpg

I generally leave .003 to .005, granted my parts are 3" dia and under.

The semi finish for me would to chain  the vertical wall only and  go from  outside to in.

You would probably have to change the tool comp side and mess with the lead in/out to get the right result

2 hours ago, pro grammer said:

Why overlap? Just come back with a semi clean cut of verticals in a -X direction.

That's what i usually do , but in Mazatrol and IGF you can control the overlapping feederate in the system parameter

I have the answer from IHS, Mastercam cannot change it because this movement don't have it's own flag 

An enhancement request has been ask by IHS, hope to have it done in the next 15 years 

Thanks 

13 hours ago, Goldorak said:

That's what i usually do , but in Mazatrol and IGF you can control the overlapping feederate in the system parameter

I have the answer from IHS, Mastercam cannot change it because this movement don't have it's own flag 

An enhancement request has been ask by IHS, hope to have it done in the next 15 years 

Thanks 

Mazatrol rocks. Programming lathes in Mazatrol is much faster than MC. The only drawback is you cannot put any notes in Mazatrol programs.

Just now, pro grammer said:

Mazatrol rocks. Programming lathes in Mazatrol is much faster than MC. The only drawback is you cannot put any notes in Mazatrol programs.

It is definetly cool, I worked at a company that only used Mazak and Mazatrol lathes, smooth running shop never any issues in the program. They have an api in the machine as well that can program gcode as well. They were mostly old machines and computers..

There milling machines are kick a$$ as well!

Just now, content creator said:

It is definetly cool, I worked at a company that only used Mazak and Mazatrol lathes, smooth running shop never any issues in the program. They have an api in the machine as well that can program gcode as well. They were mostly old machines and computers..

Most job shops in Chicago have a standard setup. Mazak lathes and Haas mills. It makes it much easier to find help that way. No wonder Chicago has a grip on every genre of machining.

Just now, pro grammer said:

Haas mills

Good machines, imo the control has too many buttons,

however the controls are easy to find ,just tedious to use every day,

the trouble shooting is good, like when the air cuts out and your toolchanger arm gets stuck it tells you instructions how to fix it.

In fanuc you have to know the procedure before hand.

Okuma > Haas 

I find the Okuma to be more rigid, and they hold up very well over the years, VERY well.

15 minutes ago, content creator said:

Good machines, imo the control has too many buttons,

however the controls are easy to find ,just tedious to use every day,

the trouble shooting is good, like when the air cuts out and your toolchanger arm gets stuck it tells you instructions how to fix it.

In fanuc you have to know the procedure before hand.

Okuma > Haas 

I find the Okuma to be more rigid, and they hold up very well over the years, VERY well.

Okuma does have the best lathes. Their canned cycles are outstanding. Not as quick to program as a Mazak but still very fast with a cimco editor. One day I programmed and setup and ran 9 jobs on a mazak doing header tooling out of various tool steels. I have absolutely no idea why people by fanuc or haas lathes. They are absolute junk. The haas mill controls are great, except for 1 thing. Every new version they change everything around for no reason. The probing cycles are great for beginners. In 5 minutes they (most) have a good idea on how to get it running.