Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lets see what you got! (deburr toolpaths)

Jespertech

Seeing as how I love a good round of "look what I can do" and do not have access to many other programmers at my company. I figured this would be the best place for such a thing.

I know this is probably child's play to most but I'm interested in discovering as many options (Rube Goldberg approaches are welcome) to accomplishing this task.

I'm currently programming for the lathe department so the available machines are Haas ST-20y and DS-30Y. I know, I know, here comes the lathe guy (for now).. I used 3D contour and did a little trial+error with the "stock to leave" until it was just right. I'm using a 3/16 lollipop mill for this part and doing the top and bottom of a cross hole.

If you have any tips or more efficient options for doing an operation like this I would love to learn more.. you know what they say, Knowledge is power  👍

3D DEBURR.mcam

On 6/5/2020 at 11:17 AM, Jespertech said:

Seeing as how I love a good round of "look what I can do" and do not have access to many other programmers at my company. I figured this would be the best place for such a thing.

I know this is probably child's play to most but I'm interested in discovering as many options (Rube Goldberg approaches are welcome) to accomplishing this task.

I'm currently programming for the lathe department so the available machines are Haas ST-20y and DS-30Y. I know, I know, here comes the lathe guy (for now).. I used 3D contour and did a little trial+error with the "stock to leave" until it was just right. I'm using a 3/16 lollipop mill for this part and doing the top and bottom of a cross hole.

If you have any tips or more efficient options for doing an operation like this I would love to learn more.. you know what they say, Knowledge is power  👍

3D DEBURR.mcam

What modules of Mastercam do you have? Make a solid chamfer on the edges. Then use the Parallel 5 Axis Toolpath. Convert to 3 axis to tool axis direction and use the tool plane to drive it if not in top view. Then change the cutting method to number of cuts and pick 1. Pick the Chamfer surfaces on the solid top and bottom. Need to grab the edges on the top and bottom and make sure you set your linking correctly. Now you have driven the up and lower chamfers with the lollipop tool and done. I did it in one operation no figuring or fighting just clean motion and toolpath. I suspect this is what the 3D deburr toolpath was worked out from.

Screen shot

I did it in 2021 here is the file.

3D Deburr

• Like 3

I have access to lathe, mill and multiAxis so this is doable for me. Thank you for the file. This is exactly the type of response I was hoping for. I’m so used to 2D chamfer toolpaths that I stopped adding the chamfers to my Solids because it was easier to toolpath off the sharp edge.