Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Verisurf Most Used Free Tools

1 minute ago, Verisurf - Ernie Husted said:

How about the must have tools?
Maybe the top 3 if you don't mind.🛠️

Thanks
Ernie

Is moldplus a verisurf tool?

It seems to be..

I don't have the license for the others so I haven't tried..

Just now, Verisurf - Ernie Husted said:

No different company, but we do work togather. they use our MBD tools for the native CAD translators. 

Okay, that must be why there is Verisurf stuff installed but I can never use it, thanks for explaining!

Just now, Verisurf - Ernie Husted said:

I just seen your post of the Python for Mastercam, that is interesting. thanks

Your welcome, I wanted to offer a scripting interface with mastercam Nethook functions, since there are none except in active reports which isn't the same.. &python is fun..

I will be adding c#, f# and vb.net scripting support in the near future.. :D

12 minutes ago, baby byte said:

Your welcome, I wanted to offer a scripting interface with mastercam Nethook functions, since there are none except in active reports which isn't the same.. &python is fun..

I will be adding c#, f# and vb.net scripting support in the near future.. :D

One of these day's you're going to find a girlfriend and were going to lose another good one to the dark side.  :D 

• Haha 5

Top 3 are Hole Axis since it supports surfaces and wife frame. Screen shot. Fit Curve to Chain.

Others used. Min Bounding Box, Auto Flip Normals and Power Select. Merge CAD files.

WCS tools are not needed as much since WCS process is dynamic.

Planes tools are good for reverse work, but for the free tools not sure how many are using them. I have used trim to multiple planes some over the last few years, but can do it with other Mastercam tools it push came to shove. Most are good for Inspection process, but for programming today Mastercam have inherited most of them into the functions and abilities.

With the 3D PDF now part of 2021 you can do away with it as part of the free tools.

• Like 3

Thanks Ron!

WCS tools are not needed as much since WCS process is dynamic.

I still use these WCS tools, I never had any luck trying to create a WCS with the Mastercam Dynamic tool.  Maybe I need some training.😀

1. Try creating a WCS from 3 points in space that are not on a square coordinate system.
  2. Try creating a WCS from 2 lines in space that do not intersect.
  3. Try creating a WCS from 3 Planes that are not square. 

Many of the 3-2-1 type coordinate systems that you need for inspection datum frames.

Ernie

15 minutes ago, Verisurf - Ernie Husted said:

Thanks Ron!

I still use these WCS tools, I never had any luck trying to create a WCS with the Mastercam Dynamic tool.  Maybe I need some training.😀

1. Try creating a WCS from 3 points in space that are not on a square coordinate system.
  2. Try creating a WCS from 2 lines in space that do not intersect.
  3. Try creating a WCS from 3 Planes that are not square. 

Many of the 3-2-1 type coordinate systems that you need for inspection datum frames.

Ernie

Ernie, that is what I was saying in each of the situations you listed require the tools you have, but majority of the free users don't need these advanced methods for creating a WCS. WCS by normal or Geometry will cover two of the situations you just came up with. The 3 Planes that are not square and needing a WCS to work from is not really going to happen from a programming standpoint for a majority of the Mastercam community.  I have used these tools for close to 20 years and remember how much I fought for them when I worked at Verisurf. 😉 Great what your do the Manufacturing community and it is appreciated, but if you need to trim the fat then the WCS and Plane tools could be two that go away from the free tools and not be misses by a majority of users is my thoughts.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Verisurf - Ernie Husted said:

Which two?
I want to learn something new. 😀

3 random Points can be picked for WCS by Geometry.

2 lines that are non planar can be picked for WCS by Geometry.

Exactly like Verisurf does it no completely different, but again what does it take to support them for the free versions? You're building them anyway for Verisurf so if not a big deal then roll with it. Want to test the waters remove them from the next update or make a limited free tools with just 5-6 options and then a full. See which one gets the most downloads? Problem will be how do you gauge it? How do you know what people want? Bigger question is what will people pay for?

X+ was free for years and now is chargeable reach out to Guther and see how many purchased it. I have used Varco Reports and paid for it for years.

Want to make Verisurf tool a chargeable item? Give it a shot I got no problem paying a little something to use the tools, but I been on the other side of the coin seeing what development takes so I get it. Problem is people for the most part think coding is 2 seconds or work and debugging is is even faster than that. Hugh disconnect from what it takes to make something work and make it work good. Verisurf is a great product, but as I hoped everyone would embrace MBD and be willing to pay for it we can see I was wrong. Machine tool probing is still not getting traction even through everyone claims they want to do it.

• Like 2

Verisurf holeaxis is much more robust than the one under Model Prep (supports surfaces and wireframes and may resolve an axis in places mastercam will not. )

Pierce point is way handy.

Minimum bounding box is great for a quick way to orient a model to fit in the smallest amount of stock, especially handy for stuff that does not require a grain direction. 

Those would be my top 3.

• Like 4