Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Programming multiple depths with a key cutter

Doug Funny

11 minutes ago, Doug Funny said:

How do I program a key cutter so that the depths stay within the limits of my feature?

JP is right no real clean way.

Another tool to keep it as clean as possible (minimum number of OPs), rough depth passes will be calculated as a max. value and may vary. Finish depth passes are fixed at the entered value which makes controlling the top of the cut easier.

nickebe10, The finish pass method you described worked fine for me when I set to # of finish cuts to 1 in the past but, this time I need to make multiple cuts and the numbers aren't coming out correctly. I seem to be getting some kind of accumulated error some where. Not sure where...

Doug

I just figured out what I was doing wrong. I wasn't subtracting the width of my cutter from the total width I was trying to cut.  Once I did that, the numbers came out correct.

Thanks all,

Doug

"sometimes it's hard to see the forest with all these damn trees in the way"

5 hours ago, JParis said:

Multiple OPs...

There's not a real easy way to set a width and let the toolpath figure it out...you can get there with doc & limiting "Top of Stock"...but it's just faster doing multiple ops

I use depth cuts -> rough depth cut = 1000. finish depth cut = slot height - tool height 

Unless you are using 5 axis toolpaths there is not reason to use multiple ops. 

18 hours ago, baby byte said:

I use depth cuts -> rough depth cut = 1000. finish depth cut = slot height - tool height  

Unless you are using 5 axis toolpaths there is not reason to use multiple ops. 

That would work until someone clicks on the tool and resets the depth of cut values.

4 minutes ago, mwc815 said:

That would work until someone clicks on the tool and resets the depth of cut values.

I define my depth cuts in the operation not the tool..

It can work as a single OP if your tolerances are not tight...as you can get it close

The reason I do them as separate toolpaths is I generally need to control the width of the slot with a tolerance and to allow for plating build-up...

I also prefer to rough the centerline of the slot as the 1st cut as well, then move up & down...

I slotting toolpath that allowed the entry of the top and bottom locations, as well as the width of the saw and DOC, something akin to the grooving toolpath inlathe would be a very nice addition

• Like 2