Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Forcing arcs into line segments for better accuracy?

On 6/25/2020 at 8:02 AM, 88Matt said:

I have had issues with inspection scanning profiles and giving bad data on small arcs. 

On one part they used a 1/2mm ruby to scan a profile with an .011 inch radius and a .0003 inch all around profile tol and said I was out at in two spots.  Well, the center of the probe tip was whipping a .001 inch arc and which has the same effect as with an endmill.  After chasing my tail for four weeks, they finally switch to a smaller (.2mm) tip, took measured points and voila, wouldn't you know the parts were good all along.

I had an experience one time where inspection was using a ruby that was so small it was picking up the peaks and valleys of the milling operation. I had .0008" profile to hold and it was all over the place. I couldn't figure out WTF was going on. Surface finish was called out as 32. I was around 16. So I go into inspection and watch. I see the inspector had some features to measure where he needed the .5mm ruby. He was using that same ruby to measure the tight profile feature. I asked him to change the ruby for the feature that was going out. He said no. I protested to the Mfg. Manager. Long story short, I lost that battle. I had to get the surface finish down to 8 to get the all the profile points in. On my write up, I explained that inspection, engineering and manufacturing need to get on the same page. By meeting the surface finish call out It would have been impossible to meet the profile requirement with anything less than a 3mm ruby. I created drawings to prove my point. They said I was full of $#!+. :rofl:

Alrighty then....

• Like 1