Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Probing cycle is not writing to macros

On 6/17/2020 at 2:52 PM, Tinger said:

Hi all,

I'm using a probing cycle that I've used before with no problems, but now the cycle is not writing to a macro. The macro just stays DATA EMPTY. Is it possible that I flipped a switch somewhere that doesn't allow probing cycles to write to the macros? Machine is a doosan dnm5700 with fanuc controls. If I haven't provided enough info, let me know. Also, #139 is a volatile macro, so I set #500 equal to #139 immediately.

Code;

N100
(2MM DIA PROBE)
(PROBE PART & ROTATE G54 OFFSET)
G0G20G17G40G49G80G90G53Z0.
T1M6
G0G54X3.873Y.09
G43H1Z5.0T2
M165 P9832(PROBE ON)
M165 P9810 Z1.35 F100.(SAFE MOVE)
M165 P9843 Y0. D1.3(MEASURE ANGLE TO #139)
#500=#139(SET #500 EQUAL TO #139)
M165 P9833(PROBE OFF)
G0G53Z0.
M01

Your #500 should capture #139. My #100 variables are cleared only at Program End.

I use #144 to find angles. Here's is a subprogram for how I find the angle for castings.

O4021
 (4" LONG PROBE -- FORCED)
IF[#153EQ#0]GOTO1
N0220 G00 G90 X.0001 Y0. B0. G54 P[#900] M19
N0230 G43 H04 Z5.875
N0240 G65 P9810 Z1.375 F200.
N0250 G65 P9814 D2.15 Q.75
N0260 #5301=[[#135+#[[[#4130*20]-20]+14001]]+[0.]]
N0270 #5302=[[#136+#[[[#4130*20]-20]+14002]]+[0.]]
N0280 G65 P9810 Z5.875 F200.
N0290 X12.8581 Y-.83
N0300 G65 P9810 Z.25 F200.
N0310 G65 P9811 Z-.25
N0320 #5303=[[#137+#[[[#4130*20]-20]+14003]]+[0.]]
N0330 G65 P9810 Z5.875 F200.
N0340 X6. Y-4.722
N0350 G65 P9810 Z-.25 F200.
N0360 G65 P9843 Y0. D10. A0.                              (<<<<<<<<<< Do you need the A value)
N0370 G65 P9810 Z5.875 F200.                         
N0380 #997=#144
N0390 Z14.055
N0400 #[[[#4130*20]-20]+14001]=#5301
N0410 #[[[#4130*20]-20]+14002]=#5302
N0420 #[[[#4130*20]-20]+14003]=#5303
N1 M99

• Like 1
On 6/18/2020 at 4:41 AM, PAnderson said:

... since Fanuc cheaps out on memory.

:rofl:

FANUC is a buffet. The machine tool builders (or the builders in conjunction with their Distribution partners) go to FANUC and say what they want. All that said, at the end of the day, the company buying the machine ultimately doesn't make sure the machine is properly optioned. This is not a FANUC problem.

:coffee:

1 hour ago, cncappsjames said:

FANUC is a buffet. The machine tool builders (or the builders in conjunction with their Distribution partners) go to FANUC and say what they want. All that said, at the end of the day, the company buying the machine ultimately doesn't make sure the machine is properly optioned. This is not a FANUC problem.

I beg to differ James, Fanuc is the problem. If you went to a buffet and the largest portion you could get was a tablespoon and anything more cost extra, what would you do. I get Fanuc, since I work for a MTB. 8 Meg max on a 30 series control? 4 Meg max on an Oi? Buffet? Hardly, more like rations. I have been in meetings with Fanuc US and Japan and all they do is shrug.

Paul

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, PAnderson said:

8 Meg max on a 30 series control? 4 Meg max on an Oi? Buffet? Hardly, more like rations. I have been in meetings with Fanuc US and Japan and all they do is shrug.

Paul

Dataservers have plenty of Data Storage. Even the vaunted Siemens has limited CNC Mem. For large program storage you have to run off the HDD. Same as a Dataserver (at least on the 840 Di's I've put my hands on.

I've put a 32GB CF card on a Dataserver. That was the largest card I have. I'm guessing a 64, or a 128 GB card would work as well. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

Dataservers have plenty of Data Storage. Even the vaunted Siemens has limited CNC Mem. For large program storage you have to run off the HDD. Same as a Dataserver (at least on the 840 Di's I've put my hands on.

I've put a 32GB CF card on a Dataserver. That was the largest card I have. I'm guessing a 64, or a 128 GB card would work as well. 

Yeah James, that's part of the problem with Fanuc and to a lesser degree, MTB's. Seimens and Heidenhain package their controls with all of the doodads someone needs run the machine the way that machine was intended. I worked closely with Heidenhain on our 5 axis machines and they told me there are NO options to purchase above and beyond what HH provides. Seimens is the same way. Fanuc, on the other hand has a list of options a mile long and the biggest issue is when a customer is asked what they want extra. They don't freaking know and why should they? Also, quite a few options require other options that a machine purchaser, or worse yet, a MTB does not even understand. That is why we started bundling options in our machines where the customer does not need to even ask. We just provide it now. The data server for instance, requires 5 different options. Some dealers don't know this. I am looking at the master option list for Fanuc and there are 732 lines, each with a price. Seriously? They can't do better these days?

And I only brought up the memory issue because that is the biggest complaint we get.

3 hours ago, PAnderson said:

Yeah James, that's part of the problem with Fanuc and to a lesser degree, MTB's. .... Fanuc, on the other hand has a list of options a mile long and the biggest issue is when a customer is asked what they want extra. They don't freaking know and why should they? Also, quite a few options require other options that a machine purchaser, or worse yet, a MTB does not even understand. That is why we started bundling options in our machines where the customer does not need to even ask. We just provide it now. The data server for instance, requires 5 different options. Some dealers don't know this. I am looking at the master option list for Fanuc and there are 732 lines, each with a price. Seriously? They can't do better these days?

And I only brought up the memory issue because that is the biggest complaint we get.

We do the same. When Matsuura and Methods divorced for lack of a better term, we are the flagship US dealer (Dealer of the Year since inception of the Award) so we worked closely with Matsuura USA before they even had an Applications Engineering Dept actually, and helped put together packages based on the machine type in conjunction with the type of anticipated work type (for the look ahead options ... VMC, HMC, and 5-Axis, and controls). Like you, we won't even sell a machine without the appropriate option package. Too much damn grief down the road and the machne sale is not even worth that grief. 

Anyway, not sure if you know this but FANUC (at least in the US) has done a little better over the last few years. They have their own option packages as well. FAST Package III R372 for 5-Axis machines (90+% of what I do) for example.

You are right though, the majority of Machine Tool "professionals" in the industry are clueless about what options are needed for the various activites and it creates serious headaches for those of us that do know. :( I've participated in training over the years and one in particular I was pretty shocked at how little the vast majority of Applications Engineers actually know abut the under the hood stuff. Kind of a bummer really, because FANUC is so powerful, but the because of how it's packaged, supported, and sold,  it doesn't always show well. :( 

Thankfully most all of our sales guys ask when there's a question. I'm one of the Senior AE's we have so part of my job is staying up on what's new and what direction we need to move in. Matsuura USA has assembled a good team at their HQ and we give them feedback, and they get us factory information so that helps matters.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

We do the same. When Matsuura and Methods divorced for lack of a better term, we are the flagship US dealer (Dealer of the Year since inception of the Award) so we worked closely with Matsuura USA before they even had an Applications Engineering Dept actually, and helped put together packages based on the machine type in conjunction with the type of anticipated work type (for the look ahead options ... VMC, HMC, and 5-Axis, and controls). Like you, we won't even sell a machine without the appropriate option package. Too much damn grief down the road and the machne sale is not even worth that grief. 

Anyway, not sure if you know this but FANUC (at least in the US) has done a little better over the last few years. They have their own option packages as well. FAST Package III R372 for 5-Axis machines (90+% of what I do) for example.

You are right though, the majority of Machine Tool "professionals" in the industry are clueless about what options are needed for the various activites and it creates serious headaches for those of us that do know. :( I've participated in training over the years and one in particular I was pretty shocked at how little the vast majority of Applications Engineers actually know abut the under the hood stuff. Kind of a bummer really, because FANUC is so powerful, but the because of how it's packaged, supported, and sold,  it doesn't always show well. :( 

Thankfully most all of our sales guys ask when there's a question. I'm one of the Senior AE's we have so part of my job is staying up on what's new and what direction we need to move in. Matsuura USA has assembled a good team at their HQ and we give them feedback, and they get us factory information so that helps matters.

Yeah James, agree 100%. I work for Doosan and I handle most of the 5 axis stuff here in New Jersey. While Doosan has been around a while and not new to 5 axis, it surprises me how much a lot of people don't know, especially sales people. I swear, some of them used to sell cars or houses. Also, with the big push recently for 5 axis and one and done philosophy, we see a lot of new people getting into 5 axis. This is especially hard because the sales pitch is geared toward a piece of cake mentality and it's just like a 3 axis mill. Same with the mill/turn machines. Anybody can do it. And I am not putting anyone down, just a reality. And I relish the teaching experience, especially the guys that should know better.

I'm familiar with the Fanuc Fast packages. We have provided them for a couple of years now, mostly on 5 axis. Fast II on the 3 axis S versions of our machines. My biggest problem right now is explaining the kinematics parameters for 5 axis, TCP and TWP.

Paul

• Like 1
6 hours ago, PAnderson said:

... My biggest problem right now is explaining the kinematics parameters for 5 axis, TCP and TWP.

Paul

You may want to take the 3 Day Understanding the FANUC 4 and 5 Axis Functions FANUC class in Chicago as well as the1 day Understanding the FANUC 4 and 5 Axis Functions - Maintenance Addition that is done on the 4th day. The maintenance Addition goes over parameters, troubleshooting, etc...

I took them last year. I had a pretty healthy handle on them previously but when it came to explanation, they give you some tools to better explain the functions to customers. It was worthwhile for me.

Cars, coat hangers, toothbrushes, CNC Machines... it's all the same right? :blink:

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

You may want to take the 3 Day Understanding the FANUC 4 and 5 Axis Functions FANUC class in Chicago as well as the1 day Understanding the FANUC 4 and 5 Axis Functions - Maintenance Addition that is done on the 4th day. The maintenance Addition goes over parameters, troubleshooting, etc...

I took them last year. I had a pretty healthy handle on them previously but when it came to explanation, they give you some tools to better explain the functions to customers. It was worthwhile for me.

Cars, coat hangers, toothbrushes, CNC Machines... it's all the same right? :blink:

Thanks James, this looks very interesting. I think it would help a lot. Now I know why when I call Fanuc for info like this I get the equivalent of a blank stare. They want me to pay for it, LOL.

Paul

6 minutes ago, PAnderson said:

Thanks James, this looks very interesting. I think it would help a lot. Now I know why when I call Fanuc for info like this I get the equivalent of a blank stare. They want me to pay for it, LOL.

Paul

I rarely call FANUC. If I think it's a parameter I'm missing I will, but at my level, I need to talk to the OEM guy. The odds the guy answering the phone at FANUC can answer my questions is about 10% at best. Fortunately our OEM guy lives in the next city over from our office and we've been friends for the better part of 20 years. So..... #MembershipHasItsPrivileges :P

Builders and dealers get a discount I think.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, cncappsjames said:

I rarely call FANUC. If I think it's a parameter I'm missing I will, but at my level, I need to talk to the OEM guy. The odds the guy answering the phone at FANUC can answer my questions is about 10% at best. Fortunately our OEM guy lives in the next city over from our office and we've been friends for the better part of 20 years. So..... #MembershipHasItsPrivileges :P

Builders and dealers get a discount I think.

I am the OEM guy! Wow, I just realized that, 😱

1 minute ago, PAnderson said:

It's not Frank Nuqui is it? If not, care to share?

It is not and I cannot share. Frank's an east coast guy right? You should have at least a couple guys back there. 

I've been sworn to secrecy under threat of perpetual FANUC phone support. :rofl:

3 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

It is not and I cannot share. Frank's an east coast guy right? You should have at least a couple guys back there. 

I've been sworn to secrecy under threat of perpetual FANUC phone support. :rofl:

I understand. I will ask. I do get pretty good help from the guys in Chicago and occasionally North Carolina.

• Like 1