Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2021 Trimming vs Divide

JParis

Something I have been fooling around with is the new dragging to trim ability in 2021. 

If you happen, like me, to like the way the Trim command in Solidworks functions, you probably going to like this....

I have found that if if you use the Divide command that you can trim your lines by dragging as can be in done Solidworks...

There may finally be no more use for the actual Trim command......need to beat on it some more...

8 minutes ago, JParis said:

Something I have been fooling around with is the new dragging to trim ability in 2021. 

If you happen, like me, to like the way the Trim command in Solidworks functions, you probably going to like this....

I have found that if if you use the Divide command that you can trim your lines by dragging as can be in done Solidworks...

There may finally be no more use for the actual Trim command......need to beat on it some more...

yea that is pretty cool but not new to 2021, it has been working like that at least back to 2017 if i remember correctly but now in 2021 you can drag back over those little Dots to Undo, so now in 2021 its even more similar to the solidworks powertrim because if you make a mistake you dont have to close out and undo you can just drag back over the dot that it leaves behind. 

I agree, there is almost no need to use other trim tools anymore except for extending. Still need the other trim options to extend or anytime an entity needs to get lengthened instead of shortened since divide can only shorten not lengthen like trim can do so you will still need trim for those situations but i agree for almost everything else Dragging the divide command is so much faster and easier.

Just now, JoshC said:

yea that is pretty cool but not new to 2021, it has been working like that at least back to 2017 if i remember correctly

I dunno, it "seems" to me to be a little more robust than it has been over the past few versions

• Like 1

well thats interesting, i decided to look up the whats new on this and found that dragging works with regular trim too, not only the Divide function, its pretty interesting because it gives opposite results of the divide function (like you drag over what you want to keep instead of delete). Pretty cool stuff https://whatsnew.mastercam.com/en-us/Content/Design/Wireframe_Enhancements/Drag_Mode.htm?Highlight=divide

It still would need the ability to extend lines to meet other lines...

well thats interesting, i decided to look up the whats new on this and found that dragging works with regular trim too, not only the Divide function, its pretty interesting because it gives opposite results of the divide function (like you drag over what you want to keep instead of delete). Pretty cool stuff https://whatsnew.mastercam.com/en-us/Content/Design/Wireframe_Enhancements/Drag_Mode.htm?Highlight=divide

Yes it does work dragging works with Trim too

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JParis said:

It still would need the ability to extend lines to meet other lines...

Yes it does work dragging works with Trim too

Now we just need one that add's toolpaths when u drag.. And Well Be ALl SET!

1 minute ago, Leon82 said:

Please tell me in 2021 they brought all the trim options back into trim instead of having to look for four different buttons

5 if you include Modify Length...

Trainers couldn't figure out how to train it apparently 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, JParis said:

5 if you include Modify Length...

Trainers couldn't figure out how to train it apparently 

It would be nice if they had a legacy trim or something, I don't think it would be impossible.

AND LEGACY MENU!!

16 hours ago, Leon82 said:

Yeah I have my own custom toolbar. Basically everything I need to actually program a part

I do as well. No Ribbons just the QAT with every thing the Ribbons had just on the QAT.

14 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

DingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDing

You old GOAT!

:evil:

Nahhhh, Nahhhhh, Nahhhhh🐐🐑