Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Threadmilling Metric Threads

AMCNitro

14 minutes ago, AMCNitro said:

How do I calculate pitch for metric threads?  Is there a formula?

Thank!

A few people answered this question here, i think GCode showed the forumula

14 minutes ago, AMCNitro said:

Thank!

And i think what you meant to say is how do you calculate Threads Per inch from a metric pitch. 

alternatively you can just do what i show in the image below and not even have to do any math

image.png

wait a minute, after another read over this question once again it seems as you are not even tapping and are just threadmilling. The pitch of a metric tap is the second number listed. 

M6x1 = 6mm dia, 1mm pitch

M12x1.25 = 12mm dia, 1.25mm pitch

here is a link to a starrett drill tap chart as well https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=0a%2f6m%2bdD&id=D14B3A227CDDCED04134CA19FBA33DB5FD090AD6&thid=OIP.0a_6m-dD_ff9x8lB3toQAQHaLj&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ubbcentral.com%2fstore%2fitem%2fimg-large%2fstarrett-25x39-tap-drill-machinist-wall-chart-poster-decimal-metric-pocket-card_173267621829.jpg&exph=1600&expw=1025&q=starrett+drill+tap+chart+metric&simid=608023165434135280&ck=831D720D03620C0C9445B4C27CADB69D&selectedIndex=0&qft=+filterui%3aimagesize-wallpaper&ajaxhist=0

on a side note heres a handy trick, the pre-drill size  or minor diameter for a metric thread is the pitch minus the major diameter, so lets say your tapping a M6x1, you would predrill to 5mm, or if you were doing a M12x1.25, you would predrill to 10.75mm for an standard 75% thread. if you look at that chart i sent in the link above you can see you simply take the second number or pitch minus the major diameter and that gives you minor diameter of the metric hole AKA the predrill size. just a handy tip for these metric threads.

13 hours ago, JoshC said:

wait a minute, after another read over this question once again it seems as you are not even tapping and are just threadmilling. The pitch of a metric tap is the second number listed. 

M6x1 = 6mm dia, 1mm pitch

M12x1.25 = 12mm dia, 1.25mm pitch

here is a link to a starrett drill tap chart as well https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=0a%2f6m%2bdD&id=D14B3A227CDDCED04134CA19FBA33DB5FD090AD6&thid=OIP.0a_6m-dD_ff9x8lB3toQAQHaLj&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ubbcentral.com%2fstore%2fitem%2fimg-large%2fstarrett-25x39-tap-drill-machinist-wall-chart-poster-decimal-metric-pocket-card_173267621829.jpg&exph=1600&expw=1025&q=starrett+drill+tap+chart+metric&simid=608023165434135280&ck=831D720D03620C0C9445B4C27CADB69D&selectedIndex=0&qft=+filterui%3aimagesize-wallpaper&ajaxhist=0

on a side note heres a handy trick, the pre-drill size  or minor diameter for a metric thread is the pitch minus the major diameter, so lets say your tapping a M6x1, you would predrill to 5mm, or if you were doing a M12x1.25, you would predrill to 10.75mm for an standard 75% thread. if you look at that chart i sent in the link above you can see you simply take the second number or pitch minus the major diameter and that gives you minor diameter of the metric hole AKA the predrill size. just a handy tip for these metric threads.

It's about the same for inch thread minor diameter also, the drills in the charts are within a few thousanths

17 hours ago, JoshC said:

A few people answered this question here, i think GCode showed the forumula

And i think what you meant to say is how do you calculate Threads Per inch from a metric pitch. 

alternatively you can just do what i show in the image below and not even have to do any math

image.png

That's lathe. Thread milling is generally mill.

17 hours ago, AMCNitro said:

Thank!

M8 x 1 pitch is 1/25.4

In the TPI dialogue box i'll type for example with an M5 x 0.8 tap...

1/(.8/25.4) and hit enter. It'll calculate it for you and it should now have the converted threads per inch. Just make sure you use the parenthesis. Double check to make sure you did it right until you build confidence in the method. 

20 hours ago, zachlancy said:

1/(.8/25.4) and hit enter. It'll calculate it for you and it should now have the converted threads per inch. Just make sure you use the parenthesis. Double check to make sure you did it right until you build confidence in the method. 

Ill try that, thanks!  I did find a webpage with all the conversions already done.

Thanks to everyone that helped.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, zachlancy said:

or type .8mm and let Mastecam do the work

Just now, zachlancy said:

But .8 is not TPI...

And if you tick the metric box you have to define all the other parts of the tool in metric.

i think he was just mentioning that your formula of this 1/(.8/25.4) to convert a metric pitch into threads per inch can be simplified with this formula 1/.8mm

since .8mm in mastercam is the same as .8/25.4 

9 minutes ago, JoshC said:

i think he was just mentioning that your formula of this 1/(.8/25.4) to convert a metric pitch into threads per inch can be simplified with this formula 1/.8mm

since .8mm in mastercam is the same as .8/25.4 

Fair point didn't know thats what he meant.

You still need to use parenthesis around the .8mm though. At least in MC2020

So 1/(.8mm)

There were very extensive thread data charts at Maryland Metrics website but now it seems it has gone under and the material is gone. However some very good soul has put all the charts into one pdf file which seems to be available here https://pdfslide.net/download/link/maryland-metrics-thread-data-charts (includes M and MF charts)