Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What did I do?!?

pro grammer

3 minutes ago, pro grammer said:

All of a sudden I can see wireframe through my solid model in 2020 and it's driving me nuts. Translucency is not on.

is your material set to glass with material shading turned on like what is shown in this video?

Hmm im not sure in that case, i would try CTRL+T a few times to toggle translucency on and off or maybe a graphics card driver update or a restart of the pc may help? Could you share an image of what you are seeing, maybe that will give me a better idea of what is going on there. I assume the problem exists in new files too correct?

14 hours ago, JoshC said:

Hmm im not sure in that case, i would try CTRL+T a few times to toggle translucency on and off or maybe a graphics card driver update or a restart of the pc may help? Could you share an image of what you are seeing, maybe that will give me a better idea of what is going on there. I assume the problem exists in new files too correct?

Just tried it on a different file and it does not happen. It seems that it is just 1 file.

When I zoom in it gets worse. When I zoom out it goes away.

snip.png

I programmed an add-in that calls these 2 functions - >

/**
 * @par Purpose:
 *			This method forces a repaint of the active graphics view by rebuilding the geometry entities
 */
extern DllImpExp void rebuild_graphics();

/**
 * @par Purpose:
 *			This method clears the graphics screen.
 */
extern DllImpExp void clrgscreen();

The functions can be found under the names Clear Graphics & Rebuild Graphics.

Files Available on Github

Mastercam 2020  Version only.

I have seen that before from some bad step files. I call them outlier specks. Unshade the model and see if you still see them if you do they are part of the model itself like corruptions to the model. I have chased them for hours wondering what was going on to then figure out when the model was brought it that created them. I test this by making surfaces of the model on a new level. If the surface model shows them that is my proof of a bad model.

I am working with step files that were translated from Catia. They were translated from Catia because the catia files were pathetically bad. Even though the stp file shows 87 errors it was still better than working the Catia file. I am having to create surfaces because MC cannot make heads or tails of the models. To make it even worse, the customer does not provide actual prints. All of the info is embedded in the Catia file which must be viewed with MBD. Never seen anything like it. Now I know why fighter planes keep dropping out of the sky.

10 minutes ago, pro grammer said:

I am working with step files that were translated from Catia. They were translated from Catia because the catia files were pathetically bad. Even though the stp file shows 87 errors it was still better than working the Catia file. I am having to create surfaces because MC cannot make heads or tails of the models. To make it even worse, the customer does not provide actual prints. All of the info is embedded in the Catia file which must be viewed with MBD. Never seen anything like it. Now I know why fighter planes keep dropping out of the sky.

There is two separate Catia Translators, one offered through MoldPlus https://www.moldplus.com/catia.htm and one offered through Mastercam directly. I dont know which one you are currently using or have purchased or what version of mastercam you are using but I know that Mastercam has improved their CATIA translator in the 2021 release, i would suggest trying this in 2021 with the 2021 catia translator if you are using the one offered through mastercam directly.

29 minutes ago, pro grammer said:

Might have your company look at Spaceclaim. It handles both formats very well and makes very clean files I can bring into Mastercam. The CATIA reader is an addon that cost money, but if you read a lot of these files and keep seeing this might be worth the cost to get it.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, pro grammer said:

Just tried it on a different file and it does not happen. It seems that it is just 1 file.

When I zoom in it gets worse. When I zoom out it goes away.

snip.png

are you sure this step came in as a true solid

It may be a sheet solid

47 minutes ago, gcode said:

It may be a sheet solid

You can test if it's a sheet solid by attempting to use model prep functions like modelprep menu functions

-> optomize 

-> repair small faces

->simplify

along with model prep move/push pull etc.

The first three would be your best bet to fix up your model if it is a true solid.

13 hours ago, gcode said:

It may be a sheet solid

It was working fine for a while, then POOOOFFF!

13 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Might have your company look at Spaceclaim. It handles both formats very well and makes very clean files I can bring into Mastercam. The CATIA reader is an addon that cost money, but if you read a lot of these files and keep seeing this might be worth the cost to get it.

We have the Catia addon. In fact, we have Catia. I'm guessing that the customer may not have the proper setup. From what I am seeing they probably are not very skilled at engineering at all. 

13 hours ago, JoshC said:

There is two separate Catia Translators, one offered through MoldPlus https://www.moldplus.com/catia.htm and one offered through Mastercam directly. I dont know which one you are currently using or have purchased or what version of mastercam you are using but I know that Mastercam has improved their CATIA translator in the 2021 release, i would suggest trying this in 2021 with the 2021 catia translator if you are using the one offered through mastercam directly.

We have the Moldplus addon for 2020. No way in hell I am installing 2021 from what I have heard so far. I have enough problems to deal with.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 1:06 PM, pro grammer said:

All of a sudden I can see wireframe through my solid model in 2020 and it's driving me nuts. Translucency is not on.

Set your material to Glass1 and turn on Shaded Outline

your solid will look exactly like you describe in the original post

Just now, gcode said:

Set your material to Glass1 and turn on Shaded Outline

your solid will look exactly like you describe in the original post

By wireframe I do not mean edges. I mean created lines and arcs. It does not have the same aspects as glass rendering. The model looks and is solid, but lines and arcs can be seen as if there is nothing in front of them.