Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Has anybody any ideas how to overcome the 10 buffer limit ?

I have  a camaix post base which is using all the 10 buffers. I have been now trying  to implement a cimco  c-hook which also uses a buffer .  That makes 11 buffers I need , but

ten are available . Any ideas how to overcome this problem ?

Gracjan

Without knowing what your C-Hook does, I have the feeling that you have way more tools to manipulate text/NC file via C-Hook instead of a simple buffer. I've developed a NET-Hook for CIMCO MachSim and it has the option to manipulate everything outside of post, but still injects lines into NC code.

JM2C

Or you can try to figure out which buffer is a string buffer and re-use it for your purposes. Perhaps.

1 hour ago, Zaffin_D said:

Use a stack?

Yeah, stack(s)! Just forgotten, even if I used them :)

AFAIK stack is limited to numbers only (no strings), but still they very useful.

But, to write a stack to a file you need a buffer so it may not work for your application.

No, stack is a standalone stuff and you can define as many as you wish.

I’m not sure why stacks aren’t used more often by post developers.

I did! :) I use stacks to collect tool H/D numbers.

2 hours ago, Peter - NCS Ltd. said:

No, stack is a standalone stuff and you can define as many as you wish.

Correct(ish)  you can have as many stacks as you'd like, but they exist in memory.  If you want to write them to disk you must use the pop function with mode -1

–1 = Write the data record to a buffer that has been previously defined with the fbuf statement. 
In this case, option indicates the number of the buffer where the data will be stored. 
The success/fail code will be stored in value.

Or you could use a different file stream to write the data to disk, but it's not as automatic.

2 hours ago, Peter - NCS Ltd. said:

AFAIK stack is limited to numbers only (no strings), but still they very useful.

You should contact CNC's post department.

30 minutes ago, pullo said:

I was thinking more among lines  of :  can I use a buffer , close it  , redefine it  and use it again... I have not had the need to use buffers before ...

Sort of, here is a Knowledgebase article that shows how to reuse a buffer, but as far as I'm aware you can't redefine it at runtime.  Something can be done for sure, but without more detail it's hard to know what options to present.

13 hours ago, pullo said:

I have  a camaix post base which is using all the 10 buffers. I have been now trying  to implement a cimco  c-hook which also uses a buffer .  That makes 11 buffers I need , but

ten are available . Any ideas how to overcome this problem ?

Gracjan

Are you using all of the 'Alternate Output Streams'? You could potentially re-configure any one of your String Buffers, to 'write to one of the Alternate File Streams', in-lieu of using a Standard Buffer File.

You have the following available:

1. NC
  2. SUB
  3. AUX
  4. EXT
  5. LCC

For example - Most "Mill Base Posts" won't have a need to use the Lathe Canned Cycle Stream, so 'lcc' makes a lot of sense if you are already utilizing the SUB, AUX, and EXT file streams...

• 2 weeks later...

which postblock  posts before  a buffer is defined ?  I  could trick  the  post  to  output  a  file thru' the LCC so it won't have to use the  sbufname10$ ,  but the fle has to be in the 

NC file directory before the buffer is defined.  I tried pwrtt$ and pparameter$ but they are too late in the game....

Gracjan

4 hours ago, pullo said:

which postblock  posts before  a buffer is defined ?  I  could trick  the  post  to  output  a  file thru' the LCC so it won't have to use the  sbufname10$ ,  but the fle has to be in the 

NC file directory before the buffer is defined.  I tried pwrtt$ and pparameter$ but they are too late in the game....

Gracjan

pprep$

Also,

prot$

'prot$' gets called after the Post has initialized the variables, but prior to the call to 'ptlchg_1002$'. (Allows editing of regular variables, and updating of Global Formulas, before the call to 'ptlchg_1002$'. This is only important in 5X Posts, as there is a bunch of stuff which happens in the 'ptlchg_1002$' Post Block...)

• 3 weeks later...