Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

measuring spindle runout

46 minutes ago, kentucky1303 said:

how do you calculate spindle runout to your configuration, if you have .005 tool runout from a dial indicator do you add .005 or double it and add .01 to the tool diameter?

You stop right there and figure out why you have anything more than .0002 and resolve it. For every .0001 more than .0002 expect to see your tool life drop by 2-10% depending on speeds and feed. At .005 I wouldn't run that tool over a 1000 rpm even if it were a .01 endmill, but then being that small it look like fly cutter running out that much. 

54 minutes ago, kentucky1303 said:

how do you calculate spindle runout to your configuration, if you have .005 tool runout from a dial indicator do you add .005 or double it and add .01 to the tool diameter?

Tell me this is a homework question 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Mark Reuszer said:

The 0.005 was just an example number. I'll clarify the question.

If my tool runout is 0.0001" on a 1/2" ball. Do I call my tool a 0.5001 or a 0.5002? 

people can only answer with the information you provide,

i wouldn't add anything, but balls usually cut a hair undersize anyway

• Like 1

I dunno..I know where you're going just don't think you need to myself...a couple tenths of runout is typically acceptable....get up anywhere near a .001" and it's the holder...throw it away, they are a perishable item

With collet chucks a new nut and/or collet "usually" will address runout issues, if not...trash heap 

JM2C YMMV

• Like 2

I never program for run out. Most endmills are never exactly .500 more like .4998 to .498 in size I will add wear comp to the tight features I need to maintain a tight tolerance. Problem is when you start trying to adopt a bad practice like run out of tools into your programming then you will have a hard time repeating a good process. Program for knowns not unknowns and then you have a controllable process. When you start down the slipper slope of what if, maybe and sort of then you have nothing but chaos. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Mark Reuszer said:

The 0.005 was just an example number. I'll clarify the question.

If my tool runout is 0.0001" on a 1/2" ball. Do I call my tool a 0.5001 or a 0.5002? 

No add it to your stock to leave on wall/drive.

14 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

.005 microns would be .005 / 25.4 = .000196" so yes that would be acceptable run-out. 😉

PSH tell that to my boss :D I have to manually center each endmill to better than 0.0000397" of runout.

In my diamond turning lab we work in metric but the guys in the machine shop one room over work in imperial, it makes for some rather confusing conversations at times. 

Also, the runout can be considered to be increasing the radius of your tool (to some extent), so you would double it if you were adjusting for diameter.

1 hour ago, Mhoppe said:

In my diamond turning lab we work in metric but the guys in the machine shop one room over work in imperial, it makes for some rather confusing conversations at times. 

I remember the 777 - first all 'puter designed airybuzzer.

lazyB designed in inches, and the tail wiring looms were outsourced to (I think) Germany, who made them in metric with a conversion factor of 24.5 :D

Net result was tooooo short!

7 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

I remember the 777 - first all 'puter designed airybuzzer.

lazyB designed in inches, and the tail wiring looms were outsourced to (I think) Germany, who made them in metric with a conversion factor of 24.5 :D

Net result was tooooo short!

The Comanche was in metric but there were a lot of 12.7 and 9.5 mm holes lol

• Like 1