Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

cutting axle spline 2018

progaseng

I'm able to draw the part no worries in solids and I'm able to do one groove at z0 starting at z0 and y-.75 I drew 31 splines etc...

I did my first tool path by stock to leave on walls of -.05 with multiple depth cuts as material very hard etc... I did this before with

a dividing head buy now I have a haas with a 4th axis I'm not sure how to program this so I can rotate the part and recut etc .

I'm sure many of you have done this any help appreciated thanks . I can do a drill tool path no worries as easy enough to pick

the entities and do an axis substitution and do an unroll with a diameter of 1.5"  . Do I have to pick each spline individually or can I do

a 3d window ?

Thanks for  your time . Ps I've searched online for videos if you know of any pls send me a link thanks.

When I cut B splines, I only draw the geometry for the center-line of the custom cutter.

I create one toolpath operation at an index angle of zero.  Then I transform that toolpath 180 degrees.

These 2 operations will be my first toolpath with a program stop so that I can measure and adjust the offset measured across pins.

Then I will cut the rest of the splines using transform toolpath.

I have cut spines in Inconel Aerospace components using this method.

If you have an odd number of spines, you will have to cut the first spline at zero and then two spines on the opposite side of the shaft so that you can measure across three pins.

The deburr toolpath does a great job of deburring splines.  In the photo below, that is an .008 edge break done with a ball end mill.  Inco 718

image.png.8afdc1f5111c12d38fb959c79bf244d9.png

• Like 3

I got it figured out So I'm doing a contour toolpath and transforming it etc.. with a lead in and out it works ok but here is what I want to change

The lead in and out work fine but I need it to rapid back to start point I'm doing two passes -.025" apart on Y depth it starts at z0 and Y.-.75

The travel is along the X axis .

but it feeds back to start point at same as cutting speed when I try to change the feeds on lead in and out I can but they only do that part

I need a rapid move back in x . I'm using a seco cutter with carbide inserts that was originally designed as a chamfer tool I set the center of tool on z0 with part rotated on a solid around z.75 so a 1.5" solid bar . I ran the program everything is working I did the 360/31 for the deg of rotation etc... I would just like it to rapid back to start point as I would like to make 3 or more passes before part rotates  Ps a custom cutter would be nice but I have done this with this tool long ago and it does work I did it on my old anilam mill . Any suggestions for a custom cutter most splines are a 90 deg total angle . approx .05" deep .

58 minutes ago, progaseng said:

I got it figured out So I'm doing a contour toolpath and transforming it etc.. with a lead in and out it works ok but here is what I want to change

The lead in and out work fine but I need it to rapid back to start point I'm doing two passes -.025" apart on Y depth it starts at z0 and Y.-.75

The travel is along the X axis .

but it feeds back to start point at same as cutting speed when I try to change the feeds on lead in and out I can but they only do that part

I need a rapid move back in x . I'm using a seco cutter with carbide inserts that was originally designed as a chamfer tool I set the center of tool on z0 with part rotated on a solid around z.75 so a 1.5" solid bar . I ran the program everything is working I did the 360/31 for the deg of rotation etc... I would just like it to rapid back to start point as I would like to make 3 or more passes before part rotates  Ps a custom cutter would be nice but I have done this with this tool long ago and it does work I did it on my old anilam mill . Any suggestions for a custom cutter most splines are a 90 deg total angle . approx .05" deep .

If you have depth cuts turned on, it should go up and rapid back to the start point and do another cut. Make sure you dont have the keep tool down option checked, as that well keep it in G1 as it goes to the next cut 

Regarding custom spline cutters:

Sandvik has a series of spline cutters and can make custom inserts.  For the Inconel shaft that I mentioned, we were taking just one pass and the tool life was very good.

Here is a link to a brochure.

https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/sitecollectiondocuments/downloads/global/brochures/en-gb/c-1040-165.pdf

You can contact your local Sandvik Sales rep for more information.

Yes thanks I will try that as right now top of stock is set to .75 and I did have keep tool down checked and my material I want to remove I had to do a stock to leave -.05

Is there any other methods I should try thanks so much for the help .

That is the exact type of tool I'm looking for thanks so much