Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Master Cam slow down

TERRYH

49 minutes ago, JParis said:

A lot of what I do, I end up with files that are in the 4-500 meg range....on these systems I spec'd we do well with them. There are days where around lunch time things get a bit wonky, that's when I and tell  my guys, to save the file, shut down Mastercam and restart it...sometimes you just need to flush out the system.

Yeah, that's a pretty typical range for me, too, but when I do a lower dash inner trim receiver casting I often hit a gig or more, but on a good year I only do 5-10 of those...

1 minute ago, sharles said:

I do a lower dash inner trim receiver casting I often hit a gig or more, but on a good year I only do 5-10 of those...

Sight unseen, I can only speculate here but I would be looking for ways to trim that initial solid down in size....defeature things that were unimportant, finding and deleting any extraneous solids or surface fragments that might be coming in on import....if it has threaded holes that I don't need to process, I would remove them....hell, I'd trim out sections of the model completely that I didn't have to touch.....I would simplify it as much as I could prior to any tool path creating to help keep that file size down.

I view it as time spent upfront saves me time on the backend trying to wrestle and manage large files.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JParis said:

Sight unseen, I can only speculate here but I would be looking for ways to trim that initial solid down in size....defeature things that were unimportant, finding and deleting any extraneous solids or surface fragments that might be coming in on import....if it has threaded holes that I don't need to process, I would remove them....hell, I'd trim out sections of the model completely that I didn't have to touch.....I would simplify it as much as I could prior to any tool path creating to help keep that file size down.

I view it as time spent upfront saves me time on the backend trying to wrestle and manage large files.

yeah, that's why I always do it in surfaces and move EVERYTHING except the actual shape of the nest and the patches to fill all the cutouts and slitters to other levels until I need them. I typically spend an entire 8 hour shift just doing geometry creation to prep it for toolpathing. They are the most complicated things I do, and I enjoy them for that reason, but as I get older I'm struggling to hold all the information in my head like I used to do, and so I chop it up into a lot smaller steps than I did in the past.

3 minutes ago, jpatry said:

One of our engineers loves to model the threads in every threaded hole

The system resources that a thread uses is amazing....you can dig back on this forum and my general answer when someone wants to generate a thread, "so they can show it" my typical answer is don't...others and myself over the years have shown people how to do it but no one really suggests to do it...

Would be better if that engineer used the lighter weight version that only produces and hole but in the CAD shows a thread.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, JParis said:

The system resources that a thread uses is amazing....you can dig back on this forum and my general answer when someone wants to generate a thread, "so they can show it" my typical answer is don't...others and myself over the years have shown people how to do it but no one really suggests to do it...

Would be better if that engineer used the lighter weight version that only produces and hole but in the CAD shows a thread.

Yeah, I prefer the the thread just modeled as a hole at the major diameter of the thread, even modeled at drill size is tolerable, but also annoying.

1 hour ago, jpatry said:

Yeah, I prefer the the thread just modeled as a hole at the major diameter of the thread, even modeled at drill size is tolerable, but also annoying.

Here's how I model my tapped holes. Makes it easy to get any/all necessary dims from it. 

image.png.7990a5b8a1e5db301f9bc3e40a595a7f.png

32 minutes ago, Jake L said:

Sounds like the type of guy to model .010 edge breaks across the whole part too 🤣

They do that here. ^^^^ Drives me nuts.

They also bring in edge curves on every damned solid they import. And LEAVE them there!!! :realmad:

We're talking assemblies with hundreds of components propagated around tombstones and other rotary axes. 

Gee, can't imagine why my file is so slow. It should be able to handle 100,000 entities, right? RIGHT!?!?!?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Jobnt said:

Here's how I model my tapped holes. Makes it easy to get any/all necessary dims from it. 

this doesn't make sense to me,.. what is all this extra room beneath your tapped section of the hole??? most the parts that come my way have a .200 hole depth with .200 thread depth 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
42 minutes ago, Kyle F said:

this doesn't make sense to me,.. what is all this extra room beneath your tapped section of the hole??? most the parts that come my way have a .200 hole depth with .200 thread depth 😆

Haven't we all been handed drawings with blind threads spec'd deeper than the predrill?

• Like 1