Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4 Axis Curve Toolpath

rchipper

Hi,

I have been trying to figure out how to get the 4 axis Curve toolpath to respect the walls of the slot I need to cut.

I will be using an Hass Mini Mill with a Haas HA5c rotary 4th axis.

I first used the swarf toolpath and it looks pretty good but there is no option for Compensation. I would like to have control over stock to leave. Only making 2 prototypes for now.   

I am trying the Curve toolpath because I see it offers, Compensation Type. I will be honest, I have very limited experience with Multi axis toolpaths. That is why I am reaching out to those with more knowledge for some guidance.

Could it be that the slot requires a 5 axis toolpath? I do see that some areas on the walls are not planar to the axis for 4 axis toolpaths. But then again why does the Swarf path look so clean?

Anyhow, I have attached a file in hopes that someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

4th Axis_2 7-13-20.mcam

5 axis Curve must be driven correctly to respect the walls. I tried downloading the file, but not working. Swarf is using the walls to define the cut and it works differently. With surface you may need to define enough vectors that align with the walls to get it to respect the walls. Have you tired posting and running the swarf toolpath? Just because it looks clean doesn't make it clean.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, rchipper said:

See there I learned something new. I will give the swarf as try. I that doesn't do it I guess I will be cleaning up the curve lines.

Thank you for your input.

Well these is a chook called roll die that might be what you're really after here. I looked at the parent solid and see your trying to accomplish what is referred to as a roll die shape. What that means is a roller needs to roll around that shape that is fixed to a point. It can spin around a fixed point, but the idea is keeping the of the roller bearing in contact with the surface of contact. John Summers developed this 25-30 years ago I believe to support this type of output where you really needed Y to change to machine the shape on a 4 Axis with the 4 Axis runnign along the X axis. I think swarf will get you there, but if not then might try out the Chook and see. Sorry I don't have any documentation on the toolpath and been a good 15 years since I needed to use it.  

Well these is a chook called roll die

Depending on the version of Mastercam you are using I'm pretty sure there are issues with this chook.  Its been a while since I've used it as well but I don't think it worked in Mastercam2020.  I remember the training/book department said there were issues with it.  I have not tried it in Mastercam2021 yet so I cant say if it works in that version.  

• Thanks 1