Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Part and work holding program combined in one NC file.

Peter Scott

Pete...so you want???

G54 Jaw Prog

M00

G55 Component Side 1

M00

G56 Component Side 2

???

So you can run the Jaw prog first, then go straight into the part prog?

I hate subs because where the Fanuc control splits them out, operators usually forget to save them back to the network.

What you can do...is edit a parameter in the control and turn them into internal subs - sort of like Haas M97. So the subs will be stored within the main (1x) program.

Parameter 6005 bIt 0 (SQC) to 1

Then your prog format is:-

Main Program
 O1001
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 M98 Q1000
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 M98 Q2000
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 M98 Q3000
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 M30
 (SUB PROGRAMS START HERE)
 N1000 --------
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 M99
 N2000 --------
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 M99
 N3000 --------
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 M99
 %

In the above program, Sub Programs commencing with the sequence numbers N1000, N2000, and N3000 are called by the M98 call combined with a "Q" address relating to the sequence number of the required Sub Program.

So your NC program file name for your part will be O1001 (for example) and your whole prog is saved as one (including the subs).
You load the prog as one into the control.
You run it and may tweak the feed or speed or whatever.
You can then output the prog (O1001) and it will NOT split the subs out of the file.
It will keep them integral, to just the one (o1001) prog.

:cheers:

• Like 1
On 7/24/2020 at 4:06 PM, Leon82 said:

If they use a memory card they can drag and drop all the files into it. If they start to question it or complain tell them to figure it out themselves

We had a guy who would ask three or four different people questions about a job.And he would never ask the person who programmed it either. And would take parts of the advice and mix it all together and still not get it right.

Leon82 I kind of get the feeling that's what they do here.  Everyone does things differently.  We definitely need some written process for transferring programs, multiples or not.  

On 7/25/2020 at 4:11 AM, Newbeeee™ said:

What you can do...is edit a parameter in the control and turn them into internal subs - sort of like Haas M97. So the subs will be stored within the main (1x) program.

Parameter 6005 bIt 0 (SQC) to 1

Then your prog format is:-

Main Program
 O1001
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 M98 Q1000
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 M98 Q2000
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 M98 Q3000
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 M30
 (SUB PROGRAMS START HERE)
 N1000 --------
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 M99
 N2000 --------
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 M99
 N3000 --------
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 -------------
 M99
 %

In the above program, Sub Programs commencing with the sequence numbers N1000, N2000, and N3000 are called by the M98 call combined with a "Q" address relating to the sequence number of the required Sub Program.

So your NC program file name for your part will be O1001 (for example) and your whole prog is saved as one (including the subs).
You load the prog as one into the control.
You run it and may tweak the feed or speed or whatever.
You can then output the prog (O1001) and it will NOT split the subs out of the file.
It will keep them integral, to just the one (o1001) prog.

Newbeeee,

What control is this for?  This is very close to what is desired from what has been described to me.  I'm not sure if the same parameter exists in all the machines we have here in the shop.  We generally have Fanuc controls though for almost everything.  I know you're in the UK and guessing around 8 PM in the evening there now so won't expect a reply until tomorrow.  Thanks for the input.        

Pete - 16/18/21 series onwards. So also Oi and 30/31 series too.

The ONLY thing I don't know...as I never tested....if you have existing progs and change the parameter to implement this "internal sub" way of working, is whether an older style split-sub program will still run okay. So if you try this, please feedback out of interest.

...and it's 9pm in Spain. But heh, #NeverOffDuty :lol:

• Like 1
On 7/24/2020 at 1:55 PM, Peter Scott said:

Hi Thad.

Yes I did used to live in Massachusetts and worked for a Mastercam reseller there known then as Services Four Automation.  That brings back memories.  SFA has since been sold to Cimquest and Steve Biehl who hired me at SFA is working for them now.  From the start of 2013 until mid April of this year I had been using Edgecam at another company in Massachusetts but wanted to move to Louisiana for a couple of years now.  I'm glad I made the move.  Even though Coronavirus made it more challenging than it should've been, my wife and I are much happier down here.  It's also good to be back using Mastercam after so many years.  Cheers!

Steve is a good guy. He did our updates a few times and gave me the 2018 post documentation.