Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

maitanance fee

Sebalj1125

Good Day

I have been using Master Cam for 25 years. originally purchased it from Ed House (In house Solutions).

In 2017 i left the industry so I did not see a point of paying a maintenance fee for something I did not use.

Recently I was asked to help out at a local shop couple of days a week. So I inquired with In House Solutions about activating a maitanance

They turned around a want to charge me for previous years  that I did not have maintenance.

When i inquired why they told me that its a CNC Software rule.

Is this true or has anyone had this experiance

Thanks

• Sad 1

Yes that is true. Same goes for just about any software now a days.

My Video editing software has maintenance. I don't pay it I can pay for it again in 5 years not really different. the difference is the cost of the software. Go get Fusion or any other ransom Autodesk product and don't pay their monthly ransom and then you loose everything if you don't pay it.

• Like 2

If you let your maintenance lapse for more than 3 years or so, it becomes cheaper to buy a new seat

than renew maintenance.

This is true for almost all CAD/CAM software.

I used to be able to let my SolidWorks seat slide for a couple of years

Eventually they would call and I'd cry broke and they'd let me renew without paying for the missed  years

or the renewal penalties. They stopped doing that about 3 years ago.

Now it is (annual maintenance fee/12) x the number of months you've been off maintenance + plus a bad dog fee.

Occasionally, usually a few months from a new version release Mastercam will

do a "get back on maintenance" special offer.

I do not know how good they are as I've never needed to take advantage of the offer.

I have always paid my maintenance no matter how bad it hurts, cause I know if I miss a year I will never catch up

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Sebalj1125 said:

That,s nuts   Who the hell will be able to afford this

It's certainly not a new policy. It was started the the Sunset program began....10'ish years ago...

People who make money utilizing the software do it as a way to maintain their investment in the product.

This year I let the home seat lapse that I use....for the amount of work I do it was going to cost me a significant portion of that...I'll keep running 2020 as long as I can, it currently does everything I need....if the time comes I need something newer, well, I'll likely consider something else though I don't know what at this point.

33 minutes ago, Sebalj1125 said:

That,s nuts   Who the hell will be able to afford this

Serious Professionals.

Part-timers and hobbyists have been switching over to Fusion 360.

Fusion 360 is great for 3-Axis and very limited 4X/5X programming. It is also "free" to any company with under $100K in yearly revenue.

That said, you've still got access to arguably the most stable version of Mastercam, since Version 9. That would be Mastercam X9.

2 minutes ago, JParis said:

It's certainly not a new policy. It was started the the Sunset program began....10'ish years ago...

People who make money utilizing the software do it as a way to maintain their investment in the product.

This year I let the home seat lapse that I use....for the amount of work I do it was going to cost me a significant portion of that...I'll keep running 2020 as long as I can, it currently does everything I need....if the time comes I need something newer, well, I'll likely consider something else though I don't know what at this point.

Yeah, agreed that it isn't new. Most companies keep it up to date. Semi-understandable to want to get the full amount given the years of use minus maintenance. However, if I started at a company with MC, and they were out of maintenance but ready to renew and received a quote for it wanting us to pay for previous years, I would vote to forego the software and switch entirely. Not because of the policy, but because I'm both more familiar with other softwares and also believe their customer service and quality is better and more polished. The few things I would miss from MC are things I can live without for the features I would gain elsewhere. But, to each their own, other softwares do the same thing and I'm sure they gain people the same way. 

1 hour ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

That said, you've still got access to arguably the most stable version of Mastercam, since Version 9. That would be Mastercam X9.

Mastercam 2021 isn't stable?

1 hour ago, jwvt88 said:

quality is better and more polished

you haven't seen polished till you experience Dassault turning your money into their money when maintenance comes due. :rolleyes:

it's enough to make a billionaire weep

22 minutes ago, byte said:

Mastercam 2021 isn't stable?

I've found it to be extremely stable  but..

different people use software for different parts/different machines and different tool paths

and may have a completely different experience.

7 minutes ago, gcode said:

you haven't seen polished till you experience Dassault turning your money into their money when maintenance comes due. :rolleyes:

it's enough to make a billionaire weep

I've found it to be extremely stable  but..

different people use software for different parts/different machines and different tool paths

and may have a completely different experience.

It's my first day using it, I am finding it extremely stable as well, many bugs resolved from the last version.

One thing to not discount is having full access to the Mastercam Web site.  There are useful tool and holder libraries, and tutorials and sample files that can help you understand some of the new toolpath's and their settings. The forum has quite a few CNC software employees on everyday and can help with any bugs that may pop up and get them logged in to hopefully get them corrected.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, ostie01 said:
hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

It is also "free" to any company with under $100K in yearly revenue.

Unity game engine is doing the same thing under 100k unreal engine as well under 1 million i believe.

2 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Why you can't even think about using it for ITAR work. 

Have you ever tried the software?

Even if you could you wouldn't want too.

Mastercam Ftw, all i ever used, all I'll ever need. So long as they treat me right over at the Haus.

35 minutes ago, byte said:

Have you ever tried the software?

Even if you could you wouldn't want too.

Mastercam Ftw, all i ever used, all I'll ever need. So long as they treat me right over at the Haus.

Yes I signed my daughter up at a Vocational school when she was 16 to give a try. It was part of our home school education. One of the advantages of home schooling you can help expose them to different possibilities in life. She modeled a bunch of stuff and I helped her learn the software. I used AutoCAD for close to 20 years and it was my pencil CAD tool for CNC programming when I got started programming 3D parts about 30 years ago. I would use Layers and all kind of tools in AutoCAD. Why Drawing and modeling in Mastercam is so easy for me since I carried a lot of the things I used in AutoCAD over to Mastercam. I haven't touched AutoCAD in over a decade, but still have my AutoCAD 11-14 certificates of training that I got from Community College 1991-96. When I used it before Windows 95 we had a Command Pad with all the commands on it. You had your keyboard and the Command Pad. Then that went to shortcut keys. I used to have all the 10 commands down for Endpoint, Circle, Line Tangent, and other functions, but I don't remember them all anymore.  

4 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

used AutoCAD for close to 20 years and it was my pencil CAD tool for CNC programming when I got started programming 3D parts about 30 years ago. 

I know a guy who programmed like that, its alright, kinda like mastercam.

6 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

haven't touched AutoCAD in over a decade, but still have my AutoCAD 11-14 certificates of training that I got from Community College 1991-96.

Thats a long time ago Ron!

Fusion seemed different from the old school one, but I didnt use either a lot.

6 minutes ago, byte said:

I know a guy who programmed like that, its alright, kinda like mastercam.

Thats a long time ago Ron!

Fusion seemed different from the old school one, but I didnt use either a lot.

Fusion is much different and they offer a lot of things I wish I had when I first got into the trade. I was solid modeling in AutoCAD around 94.

I got into Mastercam on a mistake. I was programming a 3D nozzle for dispensing Chemicals for Paper Plants. It was a weldment we made that was 8 pieces. They would last about 2 weeks and need to be replaced. They had been made that way for 80 years. I was asked could I make it out of one piece of 316 SS. I open my big mouth and said sure thing. I spent 3 weeks writing all the code and making all the toolpaths. I got it made and realized I didn't covert my 2D to 3D correctly and it was no good and had to start over. I told the owner I had enough either get me a CAM program or I was going to find another job. I brought in 3 CAM companies. Gibbs CAM was my #1 choice since I had used it before making Manifolds for Railroad Air Brakes. I had Surfcam and Mastercam coming in. Gibbs came in and couldn't make the part without a CAD Model and you would need to get a Solid Modeling software. CADkey was best choice at time. It would have been $60k for the CAM and CAD. Surfcam came it and the person couldn't even do the simple things I was doing by hand. I was making Rolldies and other complex shapes with macros and other methods on a 4 Axis. I had given up and ate my words to quit and started over making the new program since I had committed to giving the customer what they needed.

In walks Jim Gamble the Florida Mastercam dealer. I show him around the shop trying to run him off since I already felt like he was not going to be able to help. He was knowledgeable and was interested in what I was doing so I was ready to listen to his sales pitch. He said I am not going to give you a demo. I looked at him and asked why he wasted my time since he was not going to give me a demo. It was Friday Afternoon about 3pm. He said I am going to model this part your doing and I am going to give you a program to machine this part. Your late and in a pinch and this needs to be done. I was blown away and he sat there with me till 7pm after we made the first part. That was Version V8 and V9 was coming out and he had a Beta Version of it. We got Mastercam on a lease and then 9-11 happened and we lost 50% of our business overnight. I had to make a choice keep my job and allow 6 people I had trained and hired to loose their jobs or go find a different job. I was the shop foreman and could have played it safe, but I went and got a job at a Company making Composites that had a 5 Axis Router on Contract for my old salary. I got more done in 4 hours than others had got done in 3 months. I got the Generic 5 axis post and tweaked it will I had a perfectly working 5 Axis post for the machine. Then Christmas comes around and they want to make me a permeant offer.  It was $24k a year less than I had been making. Christmas eve with a new home and 1-1/2 year old. I told them I would take it, but would only work 4 days a week I needed the other day to make up the pay. I had done side work for years before that, but that launched me into Contract programming officially. The next year we came out to California. I might have ended up where I am, but had I not got involved with Mastercam I am sure the story would be a lot different. 

• Like 8
6 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

In walks Jim Gamble the Florida Mastercam dealer. I show him around the shop trying to run him off since I already felt like he was not going to be able to help. He was knowledgeable and was interested in what I was doing so I was ready to listen to his sales pitch. He said I am not going to give you a demo. I looked at him and asked why he wasted my time since he was not going to give me a demo. It was Friday Afternoon about 3pm. He said I am going to model this part your doing and I am going to give you a program to machine this part. Your late and in a pinch and this needs to be done

That's customer service. Sounds like a stand up guy.

15 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

It was Friday Afternoon about 3pm. He said I am going to model this part your doing and I am going to give you a program to machine this part. Your late and in a pinch and this needs to be done. I was blown away and he sat there with me till 7pm after we made the first part. 

How cool is that!

Awesome. What a fantastic attitude :cheers:

Pfffft...Laddo beat me to it - youth type faster than old hands... :D

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

How cool is that!

Awesome. What a fantastic attitude :cheers:

Pfffft...Laddo beat me to it - youth type faster than old hands... :D

Nah, Im on my smartphone most of the time, it gives me an unfair advantage!