Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Broaching in mill

Rstewart

I know this has been discussed before, but is the point toolpath my go-to for this operation?

I'm using 2021, haven't installed the update 1 yet.  Luckily I do have spindle orientation on this Haas.  

Just need to step in Y about .002 per pass, feed down, retract in Y-, then Rapid up in Z and repeat.  There's not a standard width broach for this application, so I'd like to be able to step over in X at Each depth cut.

Any pointers?

3D contour for the initial move then transform for the multi-passes you want to accomplish. Multi-pass got enhanced years ago and doesn't allow this to do it, but around X4 I was using Multipass to broach on lathes and Mills. 

If your machine has indexing in the mill spindle you can broach 4 places like I have in the sample. Would need to use a trigger to index and break up into separate operations. I did this on a DMU 80 and we broached 24 holes with 4 places each and when it was all said and done we held a .002 tolerance through al the holes and broaching operations. 

Here is a sample file: Sample File with broaching

27 minutes ago, Rstewart said:

My IT has my POS computer the rest of the day.  I won't get to experiment until tomorrow...

It is just a simple key slot 1.1" deep and .300" wide by .125 deep.  Through hole

My example was a .25w x .125 deep x 1.0 in Z depth I have changed it to what I typed next stepping over in X+ and X-. You can easily use it to rough the center with a 1/4 wide tool then step over in X+ .025 and then X-.025. I would spread the wear evenly across the face of the broach verses doing one side then shifting to do the rest. If you can get a .300 wide broach made that would produce the best part.  

1 hour ago, Rstewart said:

Thanks Ron, I'll look into that to that tomorrow.  I would like to have a .300" broach made, time may not allow.  If I used a .156" it would be like cutting two keys next to each other?  

I would do it the same way with roughing the center then stepping over in both directions. The .012 difference may not seem like a lot, but depending on the material might create a stress point in the material creating a crack down the road. By doing a center pass and then stepping out in both directions you give something for the broach to bite into. Where is .200 wide broach or something where you have at least a 70% overlap then I would say try it in 2 passes, but with a over 90% overlap just something I was taught to never attempt when broaching. I cannot point to anything more than my experience telling me to go about it this way. 

• Like 1