Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Large block of wood

to the large format pro's on the forum

I have a 1000 pound block of MDF to cut on my machine. question is would it be safe to box this in with stops at the bottom and just run.

what i am saying is no downward clamps on the part. let the weight of part keep it down. larges depth of cut will be .300 radial of aprox 1 inch. max.

52 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

to the large format pro's on the forum

I have a 1000 pound block of MDF to cut on my machine. question is would it be safe to box this in with stops at the bottom and just run.

what i am saying is no downward clamps on the part. let the weight of part keep it down. larges depth of cut will be .300 radial of aprox 1 inch. max.

I wouldn't risk it. Take a piece of plywood with a 2" lip all the way around bigger than the base of the MDF and screw from the bottom through the plywood into the MDF. Then clamp down the plywood if you can't put anything downward on the material then at least you have screws from the plywood into the MDF that will give you something to keep it from flying. I might use 1/4 lag bolts if you have room in the MDF to put some 4" long Lag bolts in there. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jlw™ said:

I've done the exact same thing Ron is talking about except we used 2x4s cut in about 4 inch lengths.  I put them every 4 feet or so.

I was thinking as close to the table as possible, but your way allows places for a forklift and strap to get under the block with out any issues. Good suggestion as well.