Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mx330 problems

Jasonhsr

What problems.

Our 520 PC4 had a problem with the pallet in machine sensor but we seem to have got it ironed out.

Our 3:30 is not a pallet but we did have to change the c-axis cable because it detected high resistance. But that was under warranty. Also it seems the clamping is lagging but our machine has pneumatics it's not a hydraulic machine

13 hours ago, Jasonhsr said:

I have been running a matsuura mx330 pc 10 with a 90 atc for the last year and a half. Numerous problems.  Anyone else in the same boat?

are you using a post specific to the machine? Typically getting a post from a post company like Postability or Inhouse solutions or your local reseller should get you a nice post that is specific to the machine and on top of that if you got the post through any one of those companies they will likely fully support the post for edits if it is not working properly. I would email whomever you purchased the post through and let them know what is not working properly and they likely will address the issues and send you back a correction. 

what may be a proven post for one machine could need edits to be used with the same machine at another facility depending on the controller and parameters in the controller and how the machine is specifically setup, some brands of machines like HAAS for example remain pretty consistent across the board as far as what posts can be used and how the controller handles information but other brands of machines can have less consistency from the way one machine is setup to the next. 

and if you don't have a specific post for the machine, i would reach out to the reseller or one of those post companies i recommended above and they will be able to assist with quoting a machine specific post and like i said earlier if its a purchased post then it typically is fully supported by the post developer so if you have not reached out to them i would suggest doing so and they will likely be able to make the edits to get the post dialed in for your specific machine. 

if there are some minor problems with the post some of us here may be able to help also, so if you can describe some of the problems you are experiencing we may be able to offer some ideas and suggestions. 

i hope this helps

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

We have 2 MX330's w/ 20K spindles in a robotic cell. Runs 24/7. Machine #1 has over 25,000 running hours on it. Machine #2 is around 18,000 hours.

We did have issues with Machine #1 blowing out the internal air lines on the 4th/5th axis table. We wound up replacing all of them & have not had an issue since. Machine #2 never had that problem, guessing Matsuura changed the hose material sometime between the 2 mfg dates.

Other than other general maintenance stuff (thru spindle coolant union, etc) They have been way solid. With a combined time of 43,000 hours if there was an issue we would of found it.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took me so long to respond. The issues we've had are as follows...

3rd spindle since the machine was installed. (2 blown spindles)

Spindle growth / shrinkage of .003". (turned off the coolant chiller and problem resolved)

Major surface finish issues. (Matsuura is aware and created "M138" code to slow atc speed and stop augers)

Spindle knock when reversing during tapping cycle. (standard "G84")

Matsuura MX-330 PC-10 

90 ATC

LNS 500 psi TSC

LNS Coolant chiller

Renishaw tool breakage

Renishaw spindle probe

I have been running and programming cnc machinery since 2001. I have  run many Matsuura's in my time. All horizontals. (300 , 405 & 630) My current shop has 2 other Mazak 5 axis that sit right next to the Matsuura. Also very familiar with Makino 4th and 5th axis machines. never seen these particular issues on any similar machinery. I would never expect this out of a HAAS, let alone a Matsuura, so this is very strange to us. Thanks.

Leon82,

We are aware of this and incorporated this program into our startup routine several months ago when they released it. We run warmup programs on all of our machines prior to running on a daily basis. On a side note, we do have the 15k high torque spindle. everyone that I've talked to has the 20k spindle. Not that it should make a difference, I've just not witnessed a Matsuura losing a spindle, let alone 2, in less than a year.

9 hours ago, Jasonhsr said:

Leon82,

We are aware of this and incorporated this program into our startup routine several months ago when they released it. We run warmup programs on all of our machines prior to running on a daily basis. On a side note, we do have the 15k high torque spindle. everyone that I've talked to has the 20k spindle. Not that it should make a difference, I've just not witnessed a Matsuura losing a spindle, let alone 2, in less than a year.

I was very curious about this post do to my own problems with matsuura.  I have gone through 4 spindles within 4 years on our hplus300. This is a 15k greased spindle. I have also had others message me and tell me they are also having spindles fail on them through Instagram. Since recently I made a post about matsuura spindles failing from light duty work. Last spindle I even changed nearly all my programs to run 10k max and still lost a spindle in a year.

Medaq,

We programmed for the 1st year or so running a machine definition give to us from Matsuura, then posting and simulation through Camplete. Both spindles went out on this setup. Earlier this year we went through Cimquest and received a post through Postability and have been using since. I know that every shop has specific changes that they want for the output from their post but it seems like these guys work from the ground up every time. We are still working on post issues while trying to utilize the machine throughput. We are a jobshop so everyday new part, new fire to put out. We also have the 15k (high torque) spindle. I haven't heard any of the 20k guys say this. Thanks for you input. 

Leon,

I am aware. I've spent many hours on the phone with the guys from Camplete and they are great people to work with. We found it somewhat cumbersome when assigning multiple work offsets to a job for close true position work. In certian instances we may need a handful of work offsets for multiple parts or particular features. We do warm the machine up and use Matsuura's EZ-5, which is nice and gets the job done 99% of the time when using  TPC (g54.4). The machine position is accurate but sometimes we need to control a particular feature more precisely. I have attached one of our sample workpieces for Camplete and a request of changes. Camplete was able to handle 3 of the 9 changes. Hand editing even a few lines of code after post processing really opens up the window to error in my opinion.

CAMPLETE TOMBSTONE.JPG

3-3-2020 CHANGE REQUEST.doc

I have actually seen the opposite on other machines. I thought that it had to do with the rotary union? Not 100% sure but after the 2nd spindle Matsuura came out and changed a parameter that will alarm the machine if the TSC isn't turned on/off with the spindle stopped. That is why, a year into running the machine with Camplete's post, we requested this to be changed. I was told that Camplete worked hand in hand with Matsuura to develop this post, therefore I never questioned it. Some of the requested changes were strictly for making editing at the control more simple. While I strive to maintain a good source program in Mastercam, sometimes during setup, it is easier to change at the control until setup is complete. Not to mention that the editing (find & replace) feature on the GTech-31i is very slow. I say this because Camplete was posting out a tremendous amount of redundant information, which is safe but an editing nightmare on a control that appears to chug along one at a time.

5 minutes ago, Jasonhsr said:

I have actually seen the opposite on other machines. I thought that it had to do with the rotary union? Not 100% sure but after the 2nd spindle Matsuura came out and changed a parameter that will alarm the machine if the TSC isn't turned on/off with the spindle stopped. That is why, a year into running the machine with Camplete's post, we requested this to be changed. I was told that Camplete worked hand in hand with Matsuura to develop this post, therefore I never questioned it. Some of the requested changes were strictly for making editing at the control more simple. While I strive to maintain a good source program in Mastercam, sometimes during setup, it is easier to change at the control until setup is complete. Not to mention that the editing (find & replace) feature on the GTech-31i is very slow. I say this because Camplete was posting out a tremendous amount of redundant information, which is safe but an editing nightmare on a control that appears to chug along one at a time.

Remember in CAMplete you must set the output for Arcs if you don't they linearize everything. Yes Matsuura and CAMplete do work together to develop their posts and simulations, but to cover every possible method and process for machining there is only so much they can do. That is where feedback to them and asking the questions like you are helps improve your process. 

Years ago I had a Brand Machine that went through 5 Spindles in 7 months that were a direct drive. The company finally came in and replaced it with a belt drive and problems were solved. Matsuura is a good machine, but there is just those odd ones no matter what you do that just will not get on board. Hopefully they can get your issues solved so you can move on to getting real work done.

1 hour ago, JB7280 said:

What's the deal with only (de)activating the TSC with the spindle off?  Matsuura never mentioned that for our machines.

20k and up requires the spindles to be stopped before turning it on and off.

The 12 and 15,000 spindles you could turn it on and off while it's running

On our machines if you hit the TSC button while it's running it doesn't do anything. I like it that way because on our V+ 1000 with 20K spindle some busy body tried to turn it off to look in the door and we lost 12 hours of overnight running because it alarmed out

The force tool change can be tricky depending on some of the settings And how the NC format is written. But I got it to work pretty good The only thing I can't do is get it to make an n number in line with the tool change index.

For close true position work we use the probe and a sub program. We tried to use the TWP but unless the machine is in a lab it's very hard.

For multiple work offsets you have to edit the machine because it defaults to -1 for the cam index for every work offset

As for not outputting the spindle speed on every path you need to utilize the NC format macros.

Our MX-330 was installed and making chips 4/2019. Around 2/2020, after the second spindle was installed, we ran our normal tests while the technician was on site and signed off on the repair. Within a day we resumed a production run on the machine. I went back to programming while the machine was running. Much to my suprise, I went to check on the machine and it was in the alarm state. This was a new alarm to me but was clearly indicated by the control. We called the technician and they confirmed that they made the parameter change and we would need to change the post. We were a little upset that we were not made aware prior to them leaving our facility. Not a big deal but there was definitely a little confusion on our end.

I personally am not advanced enough in Camplete to be able to confidently handle these changes. That is why I was on the phone with Camplete and they were remotely making the changes as i read them off to them. Again, they are very good people to work with but I was told that some of the changes simply could not be made. I know how that goes, anything is possible. I was definitely ok with changing my mindset on how I was programming or processing the job to make Camplete give me the result that I wanted but we just couldn't get there.

@Jasonhsr, any chance you can PM me the machine's parameters?

I've got probably a dozen machines in that exact configuration in my region that are running and functioning as expected so I can compare.

Are you running in inch or metric?

Regarding the spindle, are you running balanced tool assemblies? 

I do recall a time when there was an issue with the balance of the FANUC spindle motor causing spindle failures. But that was a awhile ago and I believe it was corrected. Perhaps not. When our guys replace a spindle, they balance the assembly (spindle, coupling and motor) out of the machine. If it is in the acceptable range then it is installed in the machine and balanced again. If it is out of range I'm not absolutely certain what they do next. Would be a question for Matsuura.