Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surfacing issues

JB7280

I'm trying to get a better finish on this spotface at the request of our customer.  The spindle is tilted 30deg for access reasons.  The toolpath wants to change directions midway across the spotface, which is creating small gouges in the surfaces.  Can I do something to force the toolpath to spiral out?  Or any other better toolpath to try?  I'm attaching a screenshot.  The purple face is the cut surface.  I have all other adjacent surfaces chosen as avoidance geometry.  Currently using an equal scallop toolpath.SF.thumb.png.97fc5ee3f092c363d9befa27ccd95950.png

9 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

I would try the Spiral toolpath.

Spiral had the right idea, but I couldn't get rid of the jagged moves along the outside diameter.1604912956_Annotation2020-07-31133649.thumb.png.5b4e34f1f5dfcb3c39d388b4bab73865.png

5 minutes ago, JoshC said:

could use flowline, may need to Reflow the surface flowline data with mastercams new ReFlow UV tools, nice spiraling flow data with flowline would be really nice. 

Could you tell me a little more about this option?  I'm somewhat familiar with the flowline toolpath, but not the reflow?

Problem is going to be the 30 deg kick. No matter what you do going to be extremely difficult to keep good motion with an irregular surface. What is the max radius you are allowed in the corner? I would add that to my model and then try working from there. Old school it then and draw the spiral and then use project toolpath. 

5 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Problem is going to be the 30 deg kick. No matter what you do going to be extremely difficult to keep good motion with an irregular surface. What is the max radius you are allowed in the corner? I would add that to my model and then try working from there. Old school it then and draw the spiral and then use project toolpath. 

I didn't think about adding the radius to the model.  I'll give that a try.  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, JoshC said:

what no one likes my idea that i had mentioned...

Try it against a wall with the tool kicked at 30 degrees and then we can talk. 

Example

Here is a sample I threw together and with the wall things get difficult for spiral. Blend and other things will do well with the radius. Morph between 2 curves would be my choice if you have the 5 Axis toolpath in Mastercam since it will do a spiral with no problem. I included that sample file. 

7 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Example

Here is a sample I threw together and with the wall things get difficult for spiral. Blend and other things will do well with the radius. Morph between 2 curves would be my choice if you have the 5 Axis toolpath in Mastercam since it will do a spiral with no problem. I included that sample file. 

thats ez, exactly what i showed in my file. give me just 2 minutes to make an example, ill use your file

here you go, 

video https://fastechincorporated-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/g/personal/support_fastechinc_net/ER2lv3kDT_NGv0vpLpK960UBbk80RbclIbEG0kz1LyGKcA?e=8DzDzY

file download: https://fastechincorporated-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/support_fastechinc_net/EVtd3pOBGyNCukwCd-1BZ44Ba31yZDkMGv9zlOoedXMwaQ?e=sRK9no

13 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Example

proved pretty easy actually, that wall or 30 deg angle doesn't scare me any! i recorded a video and provide a sample if we can talk now lol

Try old school blend

your geometry will be a circle and a point in the center ( or a smaller circle representing a hole in the center of the c'bore_

Select the inside geometry first, then the outside. It should give you a very clean toolpath

7 minutes ago, JoshC said:

proved pretty easy actually, that wall or 30 deg angle doesn't scare me any! i recorded a video and provide a sample if we can talk now lol

Use the model on Level 1 and use the check surface of the back wall. I made it very easy on you with the level 2 solid you used. I have no idea of the tool or the radius he is using I was guessing and without all of it just a good example of how we can use Mastercam in many different ways to get the work done. What the forum is about helping users learn and we all learn something as well. 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Use the model on Level 1 and use the check surface of the back wall. I made it very easy on you with the level 2 solid you used. 

fine ill try agian, i didnt dig into levels in your file. Should work, flowline supports check surfaces. give me a minute

yea still works,

231.jpg

but it doesn't even matter anymore, i was just trying to help... many ways to skin a cat, as long as you skin it nicely idc how you do it. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, JoshC said:

fine ill try agian, i didnt dig into levels in your file. Should work, flowline supports check surfaces. give me a minute

Okay I just did it and got a chopped up toolpath. 😉

I knew that was going to be the issue why I cheated and made the model I did on level 2 as a cheat. 

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, JoshC said:

well all i can say is at least my toolpath uses the original geometry and goes all the way out to the edges unlike your morph example

You sure about that might want to look at that again. 🤔 Backplot the morph to the model on level 2 and watch up the edge all the way around and let me know the difference to level 2 model. Good method you showed. I think just a little more going here than meets the eye why I put together the example I did with a level 1 solid as close to what I was seeing as possible and a level 2 solid with my cheat that is not exact to level 1. Not an easy shape to cut exactly like being asked with any option unless you cheat the model is what I am thinking, but without the original model just all speculation. These are good examples to help others think of different ways to approach an issue like this if they ever run into it. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JB7280 said:

My Blend doesn't have a spiral cut style.  One way, other way, zigzag, up, down.

Yes it does. Select a point as you first chain and then the profile chain.

This works well, and because it is a projected path, you can project from any view using the construction plane, regardless of the tool plane (i.e Cplane does not = Tplane)

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, JoshC said:

nvm, im out of this convo, you can help him. dont want to argue over somethign this stupid

Josh I am sorry was not trying to argue and you offer great information and thought I did a good job of saying that. Mastercam is one of these tools that allows us many different ways to get something done. I was just trying to help and sorry if my sense of humor comes across the wrong way I was enjoying your thoughts and suggestions. Have a good weekend. :cheers:

• Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Josh I am sorry was not trying to argue and you offer great information and thought I did a good job of saying that. Mastercam is one of these tools that allows us many different ways to get something done. I was just trying to help and sorry if my sense of humor comes across the wrong way I was enjoying your thoughts and suggestions. Have a good weekend. :cheers:

ok no problem, thanks, you have a great weekend as well. 

• Thanks 1

I will check these methods out Monday morning.  Thanks for the suggestions!

25 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

Yes it does. Select a point as you first chain and then the profile chain.

This works well, and because it is a projected path, you can project from any view using the construction plane, regardless of the tool plane (i.e Cplane does not = Tplane)

Perhaps different versions of MC?  I'm using 2020

blend.png

10 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Perhaps different versions of MC?  I'm using 2020

One way, that's what a spiral is. Using the point as your first chain gives it a starting point. 

The legacy toolpath works too and doesn't have so many options, so might be easier to control.

Right click in Ops Manger to get to the Legacy Surface Toolpaths.

6 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

One way, that's what a spiral is. Using the point as your first chain gives it a starting point. 

The legacy toolpath works too and doesn't have so many options, so might be easier to control.

Right click in Ops Manger to get to the Legacy Surface Toolpaths.

So then, choose my surface for machining geometry, and a point, then the outside profile for boundary chains?

*edit* looks like curves is where the chains need to go.  I got a result I'm going to play with.  Then I'll be trying the other ideas.

52 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Not an easy shape to cut exactly like being asked with any option unless you cheat the model is what I am thinking, but without the original model just all speculation. These are good examples to help others think of different ways to approach an issue like this if they ever run into it. 

I chopped up the model a bit, so you could get a better idea.

Hopefully this works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xafklyby8z8cump/sf sample.mcam?dl=0