Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hasp update going away? Post support off maintenance?

AGreen5

3 hours ago, gcode said:

This could work great for my employer, but for myself, I need something I can stick in my pocket and take with me

Perhaps checking the license out to a USB stick, driving to a customer, then loaning their PC my license so I could

work???

No it doesn't work like that G. The borrowing utility uses the CMeter Network license and checks it out from the server or licensing computer and writes it to the local CMeter utility on the Mcam client computer. The Mcam client computer then uses the license as if it were a single use local software key. Currently a user can check the license out for a maximum of 10 days.

40 minutes ago, CJep said:

No it doesn't work like that G. The borrowing utility uses the CMeter Network license and checks it out from the server or licensing computer and writes it to the local CMeter utility on the Mcam client computer. The Mcam client computer then uses the license as if it were a single use local software key. Currently a user can check the license out for a maximum of 10 days.

I believe this will be improved functionality for companies that have network licenses and VPN's

and a huge loss of functionality for independents  and small firms running USB hasps.

The loss of "stick a hasp in your pocket and go" portability is going to be very inconvenient for a lot of people 

3 minutes ago, gcode said:

I believe this will be improved functionality for companies that have network licenses and VPN's

and a huge loss of functionality for independents  and small firms running USB hasps.

The loss of stick a hasp in your pocket and go portability is going to be very inconvenient for a lot of people 

I guess it all depends what side of the coin you call,..

Been running software codes for over a year now, still have a hardware key for running legacy Mcam
No lost or broken keys, it's installed on my Mcam computer 

I have had the same key for +12yr and never broken it, we a had an AE @ another reseller that broke multiple keys in 6 months

1 minute ago, CJep said:

I guess it all depends what side of the coin you call,..

Been running software codes for over a year now, still have a hardware key for running legacy Mcam
No lost or broken keys, it's installed on my Mcam computer 

I have had the same key for +12yr and never broken it, we a had an AE @ another reseller that broke multiple keys in 6 months

I bought Mastercam in 1998 and they issued me a white parallel port hasp

At some point I had to exchange it for a purple USB hasp

I never had any trouble with either of them.

I have heard that a hasp will self terminate if you change the date/time on a PC with a hasp installed

Obviously, I've never tried that

4 minutes ago, gcode said:

I have heard that a hasp will self terminate if you change the date/time on a PC with a hasp installed

It doesn't self-terminate BUT it will not run..

You need to fix the time on the computer and a code from the home office to restore it. Just setting the clock back won't get it done

2 minutes ago, gcode said:

It won't self terminate but it will throw an interesting error that will require a call to dept that works behind a heavy armored door, weird thing is we know folks work in that room but we never see em go in and never see em leave 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, gcode said:

well it wont explode or anything, but yes it will disable the hasp if you plug it into a pc with a way wrong date and time or if the pcs date and time is set back, i dont know specifically how far it can be off, i assume there is a tolerance of some kind, but yes if you do this you must then contact your reseller and they have to issue a special code to correct the problem. I believe its an anti piracy mechanism of some kind or something like that so i don't recommend that anyone do this with a usb style mastercam license. I have had it happen to me once when i plugged my sim into another pc that had a way wrong date. 

33 minutes ago, JoshC said:

I have had it happen to me once when i plugged my sim into another pc that had a way wrong date. 

yes... that's how I know about it

first day on a new job .. they told me to move to a different computer

I did.. and the hasp wouldn't work. Glen from CCC was nice enough to drive out and set things right

once all the dust settled I discovered the machine's date was a year off

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, gcode said:

Pfft, young'un. My first Mastercam license was a green Activator/M parallel port Hasp, running on DOS 6.0 :)

Hasps, USB Dongles... I've run a ton of different CAD/CAM applications over the past few years, and the only one that uses a dongle is MC. Some applications I use have been running license files/servers for over twenty years, Dongles are old technology, especially with the license borrowing functionality available.

Plus, not having a USB dongle frees up a port so you can plug in your USB cup warmer, desk fan, or foam rocket launcher :)

1 hour ago, CJep said:

We've had ours 4 years.  It's never been a problem for us.  Good to know on the date and time thing.  I recently switched to a new computer.  I changed the Windows time one hour today because it has been off since the windows install.