Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

post processor to earlier version?

14 hours ago, skategio23 said:

Hi everyone, first time poster here.

I obtained a post processor, but it is for mastercam 2020, and we currently have mastercam 2018 with no means to update as of now.

Is there any way to change the post to allow it to run on mastercam 2018 version?

Thank you

Yes, this is possible, since both 2018 and 2020 versions of Mastercam use the XML "Post Text" option.

Have you reached out to your Reseller for help with this?

I can tell you how to fix the issue (roll-back the Post version), but I'd have to know you are a legitimate (legal) software user first...

• Like 1

I'm not sure the OP is legitimate...

That said, I'm not sure keeping this a "secret" is really necessary, since there are some structural issues which make a "clean break" between the Mastercam X Series, and the 20xx series of the software.

To roll-back the Post Processor, you need to edit the 'Post Version' line at the top.

This line has variables which tell MP.DLL information about the construction of the Post itself.

You'll see several different Alpha Addresses, with the same "digits" that follow.

For example, in Mastercam 2020, I believe that version number is "22.0" so there will be several different letters (alpha Addresses), where the number matches. (M, V, Etc.)

You need to modify the integer value, to roll-back the Post version. Change all three of the values from "22" to "20". 

That should be all you need to do. Please note: there could be errors if the Post Developer has used Parameters or Variables that are "new" to Mastercam 2019 or 2020. If that is the case (rare), then you'll have to comment out the "new" variables, and modify the logic where they are used (to remove the references to those new variables).

Be sure to make (several) backup copies of your Post before attempting to modify it.

To test:

You can use 2018, with any MD/CD/PST loaded. Select all the Ops, and press the G1 button. 

When the Post Dialog box appears, press CTRL + ALT + SHIFT simultaneously, then press the Letter P on the keyboard. (While continuing to hold down the other 3 buttons.) This enables the Select Post button. From there, browse to your edited Post and you'll be able to run it for a test.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Fully licenced user here who is out of maintenance. I am looking to do the same thing here. Why? 2020 is running slow on my computer. 2019 is not.

I have updated to post as per your instructions above. How do I update the machine file to use on an earlier version?

37 minutes ago, G1CNC said:

Fully licenced user here who is out of maintenance. I am looking to do the same thing here. Why? 2020 is running slow on my computer. 2019 is not.

I have updated to post as per your instructions above. How do I update the machine file to use on an earlier version?

That I don't think you can do. I would grab a generic one close to what you are using and save a copy of it to the name you are using for the Post. I would then modify the components that need changing and go from there.

1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

That I don't think you can do. I would grab a generic one close to what you are using and save a copy of it to the name you are using for the Post. I would then modify the components that need changing and go from there.

Ron is correct on this. You cannot modify the MD or CD to go "back a version". The same is true if your Post Processor is binned (encrypted). Only unbinned Posts can have the version rolled back.

You will need to build new Machine Definition and Control Definition files in 2019, and link your 2020 Post (rolled bac manually, and put in the Shared Mastercam 2020 mill\posts folder).

The Control Definition File Settings (and Defaults) can influence the Post. The MD really does not interact with most Posts. The settings in the MD can configure Coolant Settings (in the Operations), and will control things like Max programmed Spindle Speed and Feedrate, but those settings are at the Op level, not in the Post.

All of my advice directly applies to unbinned 3X and 4X Posts, the Generic Fanuc versions from CNC Software. I would not do this with any 3rd Party Post that you paid for. If it is a purchased Post, your Reseller should be able to provide the correct Post version. Some 3rd Party Post Developers, do tie their Posts to the Machine Definition, so beware of that...

On 8/21/2020 at 2:33 AM, G1CNC said:

It's probably a better idea if I try and find out why 2020 is running so slow on my computer.

Have you installed the updates?  I don't recall if it was update 1 or 2, but IIRC it made a big difference on the NCI generation time.  Therefore posting took much less time once it was fixed.

What other slowness issues are you having?