Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

So not a Guru

4 minutes ago, BILL HUNTER said:

You may be right about the machine. But this is a brand new Fanuc controlled machine. The only problems it has are with the multiaxis operations. 3+2 works great. Who is being an aas? I am merely notifying of a grievance. Is this your typical approach to people having a difficult time with the software, name calling? Really? My God, what has this world come to? Please avoid reading my posts if you need to refer to such childish tactics in order to prove your manhood. I have heard an "awful" lot about this website. I guess the rumors are true.

You are correct I have been called the meanest person on here many time so take it with a grain of salt.

34 minutes ago, BILL HUNTER said:

When you say "backplot" do you mean verify? Or do you mean the actual backplot? I do have a 5axis machine setup. I generally use both.

We would swarf the 5axis walls. Both verify and sim showed us good results. Got to the machine and it rips right through the walls. This was a purchased post. We tried 2 other posts with the same result. End result was we had to break up the swarf into smaller sections to avoid destroying the part. Think of a twisted oval race track. We could not do a complete rotation. Had to break it into sections.

What kind of machine... is this being caused by rotational axis limitations?

If it is you post should be screaming at you and letting you know it needs to retract and unwind .

are you using the Mastercam's legacy toolpaths or the ModuleWorks advanced 5X paths.

can you attach a simplified sample file of the issue.

neither backplot nor verify can tell you if a toolpath exceeds your machines travel limits

properly set up machine sim will

Just now, gcode said:

What kind of machine... is this being caused by rotational axis limitations?

If it is you post should be screaming at you and letting you know it needs to retract and unwind .

are you using the Mastercam's legacy toolpaths or the ModuleWorks advanced 5X paths.

can you attach a simplified sample file of the issue.

neither backplot nor verify can tell you if a toolpath exceeds your machines travel limits

properly set up machine sim will

I am not sure if these are moduleworks toolpaths. How would I know the difference? I am not allowed to do fileshare. I would have to design and program my own part to do that. Everyone is afraid of everything these days.

20 minutes ago, BILL HUNTER said:

I am not allowed to do fileshare.

Me neither.. it's a real pia

if you want to make a simple non ITAR  sample file and attach it to a post here, I'll be happy to look at it.

From your description of your problem I believe your machine is running out of axial travel.. and your post

is not handling that properly.

What kind of machine is it... and where did you get your post.

Bill

I've attached a simple X20 file and its gcode, posted for our JOBS 5X gantry mill with a Postability post.

Both toolpaths look fine in backplot

However, when posted the first toolpath can do the entire cut without retracting

the second toolpath cannot. It runs out of C axis travel and must unwind

You would not want to run this toolpath as it would leave a mark at the retract point

If your post did not retract, it would wreck the part and the machine.

These toolpaths are identical expect for one setting in Mics Integers

The Start Solution setting is forcing  +A in toolpath 1 which yields a C- and give the C axis

enough travel to do the entire toolpath 

C axis unwind.zip

• Like 4
2 hours ago, BILL HUNTER said:

if you need to refer to such childish tactics in order to prove your manhood

Sez the new kid, who comes in with his panties in a wad. Dismissing the 1st attempt to help him as a sales pitch, then accusing the helper of loving to take offense at everything. Then decides to insult the whole forum, that he just joined, as awful.

As Mr Shakespeare said, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Speaking for no one but myself, You are welcome to add some joy to my day by saying goodbye.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, So not a Guru said:

Then decides to insult the whole forum, that he just joined, as awful.

This forum is what you make of it.

You come in with attitude, you're going to get attitude right back

If you want help, it's here.

There is a gentleman who just posted a thank you post in Off Topic.

He wandered in here as a machine operator 13 years ago. Today he manages a programming department

and credits the help he received here for his success.

That is pretty much my story as well. 

If you come here bad mouthing Mastercam you will rile people up

Many of us have made Mastercam our life's work, and make a damn fine living with it.

From Bills description of the problems he's having I don't think he's having Mastercam problems

I think his issues are lack of training, improper programming methods  and possibly post issues.

There are people here who are willing to help.... for free.

But be warned, It's an  awful place

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
31 minutes ago, gcode said:

This forum is what you make of it.

You come in with attitude, you're going to get attitude right back

If you want help, it's here.

There is a gentleman who just posted a thank you post in Off Topic.

He wandered in here as a machine operator 13 years ago. Today he manages a programming department

and credits the help he received here for his success.

That is pretty much my story as well. 

If you come here bad mouthing Mastercam you will rile people up

Many of us have made Mastercam our life's work, and make a damn fine living with it.

From Bills description of the problems he's having I don't think he's having Mastercam problems

I think his issues are lack of training, improper programming methods  and possibly post issues.

There are people here who are willing to help.... for free.

But be warned, It an  awful place

and I would concur. 

While I have done my share of helping others over the years, I simply cannot deny that I what I gotten from this forum far surpasses all that I have done over those same years.

Many of those people are still here willing to help those who really want the help.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

If I had a dollar for every-time I heard "Looks good in backplot and verify".  Using the software especially the 5AX toolpath is more than just throwing a toolpath on a part.  Getting a 3rd part verification software would be ideal as it would show your issues before you even got to the machine.  Some companies think this is expensive but you crash your machine it would be cheap.

@BILL HUNTER you can see there are several people here willing to help but you gotta give in order to get.  Complaining about something and bashing Mastercam isnt going to get you anywhere on here.  We understand you cant share your specific part can you make up a part that is similar and demonstrates your issues?  If you do I'll bet you, you would get at least 3 different suggestions on ways to program your part and probably a bunch of different ideas to try at the machine.  

What machine are you running?  Some machines run different based on bit settings on the control.  If its a common machine I can check out post library for bit settings to see which ones influence the machine (yes we put that in our posts for common machines).  In our posts we can flip a switch and change the TCP coordinates between table and workpiece.  The output is very different.  If the post is setup for Table coordinates but the bit setting on the machine is setup for workpiece this can result in bad things.  There is probably about 50 switches in our posts so it's possible a combination between bit settings at the machine and settings in the post are not setup 100% properly.  

The post team at In-House contain some of the smartest people I've ever worked with and I'm sure that applies to other resellers and vendors who sell posts as well.  Working with the post developer might be a good starting point. 

I know we've signed NDA's to work with customers and am sure your reseller could do the same thing.  I'm sure you could even have the post developer sign an NDA too.  

• Like 6

2021 is garbage.. Don't even bother with it.. Had one problem after another and now my maintenance is over which by the way is overpriced for the privilege of mastercam releasing fixes for things that should be working in the first place I'm now stuck with it.. Back to x9 for me... 

Did that feel good?  Since you wont elaborate on the issues you were having we cant help you.  Read my posting above there are people here with a ton of experience willing to help.  If you cant give example or post files demonstrating your issues then why even complain.  If you've gone back to X9 my guess is you didn't like the interface which is understandable because it is different.  Let me ask you how long did you try to use the software before going back to X9?  A couple of hours?  

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Chris In-House Solutions said:

Getting a 3rd part verification software would be ideal as it would show your issues before you even got to the machine.

I agree 100%. The cam pacage we are currently looking at to replace Mastercam mill has it's own NC verification package. Not a software that just runs an NCI type verification. Maybe that is something Mastercam would want to incorporate into the future. Most people want an All-In-One package. That way you avoid the hurdles of softwares like Solidworks that have every vendor pointing the finger at every other vendor when thing go awry.

21 hours ago, So not a Guru said:

Sez the new kid, who comes in with his panties in a wad. Dismissing the 1st attempt to help him as a sales pitch, then accusing the helper of loving to take offense at everything. Then decides to insult the whole forum, that he just joined, as awful.

As Mr Shakespeare said, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Speaking for no one but myself, You are welcome to add some joy to my day by saying goodbye.

Well, no. I did not dismiss the first attempt to help me as a sales pitch. I referred to the "what's new" pdf and videos as a sales pitch. And, I do believe I clearly spelled that out in a further post. Perhaps you missed that. Understandable. I skip around a lot in order to bypass the irrelevant posts also.

14 minutes ago, BILL HUNTER said:

I agree 100%. The cam pacage we are currently looking at to replace Mastercam mill has it's own NC verification package.

research carefully

a whole lot of different cam packages use the same 5X toolpath suite you are already unhappy with... and do not implement it as well as Mastercam has

ModuleWorks Partners

2 hours ago, Chris In-House Solutions said:

If you've gone back to X9 my guess is you didn't like the interface which is understandable because it is different.

(I love the new interface. From day 1 when I first opened 2018...after I explained to my company it was time to upgrade and get back on maintenance. Mastercam investment has repaid itself a thousand fold for us.)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dan_AKA_ROY said:

(I love the new interface. From day 1 when I first opened 2018...after I explained to my company it was time to upgrade and get back on maintenance. Mastercam investment has repaid itself a thousand fold for us.)

I am working on an interface add-in that is a little friendlier, but first I must overcome the evils of MFC!!!!! 😱

http://winprog.org/tutorial/apivsmfc.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Foundation_Class_Library

6 hours ago, Chris In-House Solutions said:

I've hidden the complaint because it had nothing to do with the topic).  If you are going to complain in a thread at least describe the issue you are having.    

I agree new threads should be created for each seperate issue, however, there are quite a few complaints I am hearing about the new version,if you hide them all cnc software may miss out on valuable feedback.