Recommended Posts

I am running it on 2 computers . one has win10 and the other has win7 64bit. no problem either way for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2020 at 1:12 PM, JoshC said:

i would check out this link, https://whatsnew.mastercam.com/en-us/Content/OnlineOnly/Home.htm, check out the release highlights for the popular enhancements 

Sorry. I a not interested in the sales pitch. I am interested in knowing what actually works in 2021. 2020 was a huge bottleneck of troubleshooting. We are curious if the users saw any improvement in 2021 or not. We do multiaxis stuff here. The paths in 2020 seldom yield the same results as the verify and need a huge amount of troubleshooting time as well as material. If this continues in 2021 we will probably just look for alternatives to mastercam mill. The lathe is okay and we will probably stick with that. We would probably opt for a package that incorporates a full blown design pack as well. Mastercam design is okay for making notes but real dimensioning is archaic to say the least. Mastercam really needs to take a few steps back and address their issues before adding more bells and whistles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, BILL HUNTER said:

Sorry. I a not interested in the sales pitch. I am interested in knowing what actually works in 2021. 2020 was a huge bottleneck of troubleshooting. We are curious if the users saw any improvement in 2021 or not. We do multiaxis stuff here. The paths in 2020 seldom yield the same results as the verify and need a huge amount of troubleshooting time as well as material. If this continues in 2021 we will probably just look for alternatives to mastercam mill. The lathe is okay and we will probably stick with that. We would probably opt for a package that incorporates a full blown design pack as well. Mastercam design is okay for making notes but real dimensioning is archaic to say the least. Mastercam really needs to take a few steps back and address their issues before adding more bells and whistles.

oh ok, sorry for the sales pitch bill, ill remember this in the future

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, BILL HUNTER said:

We are curious if the users saw any improvement in 2021 or not. We do multiaxis stuff here. The paths in 2020 seldom yield the same results as the verify and need a huge amount of troubleshooting time as well as material.

Machine sim is much improved.. very nice graphics and runs much more smoothly

99% of the time if a 5X toolpath is not posting properly it's because of an error with the WCS or toolplanes

Backplot will not show you this...  machine sim will.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BILL HUNTER said:

Sorry. I a not interested in the sales pitch. I am interested in knowing what actually works in 2021. 2020 was a huge bottleneck of troubleshooting. We are curious if the users saw any improvement in 2021 or not. We do multiaxis stuff here. The paths in 2020 seldom yield the same results as the verify and need a huge amount of troubleshooting time as well as material. If this continues in 2021 we will probably just look for alternatives to mastercam mill. The lathe is okay and we will probably stick with that. We would probably opt for a package that incorporates a full blown design pack as well. Mastercam design is okay for making notes but real dimensioning is archaic to say the least. Mastercam really needs to take a few steps back and address their issues before adding more bells and whistles.

Material? You're not running Machinesim or External verification? I have used Mastercam for Multiaxis Mill Toolpaths for almost 2 decades and have programmed well over 50 different Multiaxis variations of Kinematics in that time.  When you reached out to your dealer about your issues and gave them exact examples of your issues what was their response? Got a sample file you can share right now that someone can look at to try to help you overcome the issues you're running into? Since it is so easy to reproduce should be able to take any basic shape and show us so we can then see what you're seeing. Here are some sample files with some toolpaths on them.

Sample #1

Sample #2

Sample #3

Sample #4

Show us your heartburn and see if we can assist you to make Mastercam sing and dance like you need.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Mastercam really needs to take a few steps back and address their issues before adding more bells and whistles.

lol it's too late for that now... they should have done that a decade ago! they will never dig out of this hole.

I would love to change to Cimetron or something else, but  truth be told,I'd rather retire early.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottom line...I get my job done...efficiently, on-time and making quality parts that meet our standards...crazy as they are sometimes 

2ax, 3axis, 4 axis, 5 axis, Mill-Turn, Live tooling lathes, wire...the job is done..

Yes, some things could be better but I have yet to not be able to do my job.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JParis said:

Yes, some things could be better but I have yet to not be able to do my job

agreed but I am a bit ashamed of teaching it to the new machinists here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Seedy steve said:

lol it's too late for that now... they should have done that a decade ago! they will never dig out of this hole.

I would love to change to Cimetron or something else, but  truth be told,I'd rather retire early.

@Seedy steve I didn't say that not sure how you quoted me as saying that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Seedy steve said:

agreed but I am a bit ashamed of teaching it to the new machinists here. 

Not ashamed at all, I taught it while working for a reseller and I teach it now to anyone in-house that needs to use it..

For people who sat through my training classes, they'll tell you, I didn't put lipstick on the pig....I'd let them know things to watch out for based on the class they were taking.

 

Ain't nothing perfect in this life

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

I didn't say that not sure how you quoted me as saying that.

sorry that was a quote within from Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Seedy steve said:

sorry that was a quote within from Bill

No worries it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JParis said:

Not ashamed at all, I taught it while working for a reseller and I teach it now to anyone in-house that needs to use it..

For people who sat through my training classes, they'll tell you, I didn't put lipstick on the pig....I'd let them know things to watch out for based on the class they were taking.

 

Ain't nothing perfect in this life

Hah, I can vouch for jparis. He sat behind me in a 2009 resellers training course at the mist shrouded mountain top fortress headquarters in Tolland, CT, back in the day when things were rosy. I remember him bringing up the non existent M/T module, and how late it was. His timing was perfect because the MT guy was sitting in on the same course.

There were a few red faces LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

When you reached out to your dealer about your issues and gave them exact examples of your issues what was their response?

Response was "We'll get back to you".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JoshC said:

oh ok, sorry for the sales pitch bill, ill remember this in the future

Well, let me explain this. The "what's new" PDF or videos are nothing more than a "sales pitch", like a new car brochure for a Chevy Chevette. I just assumed you knew this. I understand that some people just love to take offense to anything. Perhaps you are one. You have to be careful who you talk to these days of cancel culture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, gcode said:

Machine sim is much improved.. very nice graphics and runs much more smoothly

99% of the time if a 5X toolpath is not posting properly it's because of an error with the WCS or toolplanes

Backplot will not show you this...  machine sim will.  

 

 

When you say "backplot" do you mean verify? Or do you mean the actual backplot? I do have a 5axis machine setup. I generally use both.

We would swarf the 5axis walls. Both verify and sim showed us good results. Got to the machine and it rips right through the walls. This was a purchased post. We tried 2 other posts with the same result. End result was we had to break up the swarf into smaller sections to avoid destroying the part. Think of a twisted oval race track. We could not do a complete rotation. Had to break it into sections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BILL HUNTER said:

When you say "backplot" do you mean verify? Or do you mean the actual backplot? I do have a 5axis machine setup. I generally use both.

We would swarf the 5axis walls. Both verify and sim showed us good results. Got to the machine and it rips right through the walls. This was a purchased post. We tried 2 other posts with the same result. End result was we had to break up the swarf into smaller sections to avoid destroying the part. Think of a twisted oval race track. We could not do a complete rotation. Had to break it into sections.

No I am talking about Machinesim or something like NCSIMUL, Vericut or CAMPLETE. Anythign else is not Kinematic or Control aware enough to help you see everything.

Sounds like a machine issue more than a post issue. Some machines are like that and require you to give them more points to work at their best. I had a Thermwood router 20 years ago that would do the same thing and had them come in and check out the machine and all kind of things. It wasn't until I gave it a ton of code did things work as I expected them. I have seen that at least 20 other times over the years. You can blame the post and everything you want, but no matter the CAM system if the machine is not getting what it needs it will not do what we expect. Figuring these things out is part of our job and once you have them figured out then things go better. 5 Axis machining is sometime sorry most times not as easy as 3 Axis machining time we take Vectors and Kinematics and other things into account we have some work to do. I have made programs for a Brand new machine that I had run similar parts on different machine that just wouldn't work. I reprogrammed one part 5 times for a customer and finally threw in the towel. The AE came in about the same time and realized that no one had set the 5 Axis parameters on the machine correctly. He got it dialed in and the 1st program I had made ran like a champ. Was that a Mastercam or Post problem? It was neither!!! Now I could come in here raise all kind of a cane about Mastercam and Posts which was funny since I was using CAMPLETE to post the code, but side tracking or I can just do my best learn when things go south and get my job done.

The Emastercam Forum has and will hopefully always be a place to fellow Mastercam programmer to come in and help each other and help American as well as International Manufacturing. You want to be a part of it great. You want to be an arse then that is your choice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, crazy^millman said:

Sounds like a machine issue more than a post issue. Some machines are like that and require you to give them more points to work at their best. I had a Thermwood router 20 years ago that would do the same thing and had them come in and check out the machine and all kind of things. It wasn't until I gave it a ton of code did things work as I expected them. I have seen that at least 20 other times over the years. You can blame the post and everything you want, but no matter the CAM system if the machine is not getting what it needs it will not do what we expect. Figuring these things out is part of our job and once you have them figured out then things go better. 5 Axis machining is sometime sorry most times not as easy as 3 Axis machining time we take Vectors and Kinematics and other things into account we have some work to do. I have made programs for a Brand new machine that I had run similar parts on different machine that just wouldn't work. I reprogrammed one part 5 times for a customer and finally threw in the towel. The AE came in about the same time and realized that no one had set the 5 Axis parameters on the machine correctly. He got it dialed in and the 1st program I had made ran like a champ. Was that a Mastercam or Post problem? It was neither!!! Now I could come in here raise all kind of a cane about Mastercam and Posts which was funny since I was using CAMPLETE to post the code, but side tracking or I can just do my best learn when things go south and get my job done.

The Emastercam Forum has and will hopefully always be a place to fellow Mastercam programmer to come in and help each other and help American as well as International Manufacturing. You want to be a part of it great. You want to be an arse then that is your choice.

You may be right about the machine. But this is a brand new Fanuc controlled machine. The only problems it has are with the multiaxis operations. 3+2 works great. Who is being an aas? I am merely notifying of a grievance. Is this your typical approach to people having a difficult time with the software, name calling? Really? My God, what has this world come to? Please avoid reading my posts if you need to refer to such childish tactics in order to prove your manhood. I have heard an "awful" lot about this website. I guess the rumors are true.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Join us!

eMastercam - your online source for all things Mastercam.

Together, we are the strongest Mastercam community on the web with over 56,000 members, and our online store offers a wide selection of training materials for all applications and skill levels.

Follow us