Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thread Milling Burr

I am posting this hoping that someone has a remedy for this. We are cutting a M25 X 1.5 I.D. thread and are getting a hair like hanging burr that is not acceptable to our customer. I have thread milled many a thread over the years and have noticed the hair like burr but it has never been an issue. We have tried climb and conventional cutting with the same result. This is for a part running on our transfer machine, doing  R&D on that is a bit difficult.

Thanks

Need to have a full thread from insert made to crest the top of the thread if this is happening along the minor crest of the thread. If it is the lead in part of the thread where the chamfer is then you are in for a fight. I had to make some parts years ago for Medial surgery that had to have a blunt start thread. The only way to do it was to time the threads and then take a end endmill and mill off the start of thew threads to a blunt start. Then we took a Nylox brush and brushed every part before they left the machine. Every 1000 parts the Nylox brush was replaced. Need a little more detail to know exactly where you having the issue.

• Like 2

The burr is at the lead in. Higby is going to be our next move. We have found it is about 50/50 chance of working. Some times it works some times it doesn't. I'm wondering if shifting the second pass in Z a small amount might help, any body tried that?

1 hour ago, bigprody said:

The burr is at the lead in. Higby is going to be our next move. We have found it is about 50/50 chance of working. Some times it works some times it doesn't. I'm wondering if shifting the second pass in Z a small amount might help, any body tried that?

I don't recommend that since you run a risk of elongating the thread by shifting the Z.

28 minutes ago, zachlancy said:

I used to re run the chamfer at the same depth to clean the lead in up, and interpolate the minor at the same diameter as before to clean burrs up there as well. Adds cycle time, but not much. 

This is something I do when cutting threads on a lathe if I don't have topping inserts or if Im using threading inserts that cover a broader range of thread pitches.

Re-run the finisher just on the thread section then re-run the threading insert with one pass. I will generally up the rpm for both of these so that not too much time is added to the cycle.