Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2021 crashes on fillet

Born to machine

Hi All,

This is becoming a real problem for me as its happened at different times on different days..

Why would 2021 crash with the creation of a fillet between 2 lines?

I cant seem to recreate this specifically as usually its fine although picking the first line is real clunky ..i have to pick first line but it doesnt take then i pick again   and bam it crashes?

wtf?

I should also mention that im up to date with the latest windows and graphics drivers..

1 hour ago, Born to machine said:

Hi All,

This is becoming a real problem for me as its happened at different times on different days..

I cant seem to recreate this specifically as usually its fine although picking the first line is real clunky ..i have to pick first line but it doesnt take then i pick again   and bam it crashes?

wtf?

I should also mention that im up to date with the latest windows and graphics drivers..

Can you duplicate this?

2 minutes ago, Born to machine said:

I'm worried I will be stuck with this issue for ever more now that my maintenance has expired.. Not happy though.. 

You made a decision..it is what it is...I dropped maint on the seat I have at home...at home, I run 2020..

If my company had made that decision, I would uninstall 2021 and stick with the last version of 2020 instead

JM2C YMMV

• Like 1

I totally disagree.. 

I shouldn't have to put up with these issues.. If I buy a car and the management system is at fault I get it fixed under warranty no question.. 

Clearly I will never deal with mastercam again nor would I ever recommend it to anyone.. Clearly the people who write the software can't even get a simple thing like trim fillet sorted.. This is not over believe me and I resent anyone who tells me tough luck.. 

• Like 1

We have addressed the selection issue with Fillets, Chamfers, and Trimming for 2021 Update 2 which will be out for testing soon.  That issue was caused by the addition of drag mode and how it could be activated too easily to select and unselect an entity unintentionally while it appeared to be selected. 

I have not heard of any reports of crashing from our QC group or on the Mastercam forum which i monitor regularly.

• Like 3

I totally disagree.. 

I shouldn't have to put up with these issues.. If I buy a car and the management system is at fault I get it fixed under warranty no question.. 

Clearly I will never deal with mastercam again nor would I ever recommend it to anyone.. Clearly the people who write the software can't even get a simple thing like trim fillet sorted.. This is not over believe me and I resent anyone who tells me tough luck.. 

Not to make light of your frustration as many others feel it as well. ALL software contain bugs even the biggest....Windows has bugs. Cars come out with many defects and recalls, software gets updates to try and fix problems. CNC Software has acknowledged this and they claim that a solution is coming.

As far as I know you don't own software, I believe it is a licensing agreement but I could be wrong.

Just my 2 cents and not meant to anger or frustrate anyone.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

As far as I know you don't own software, I believe it is a licensing agreement

this is true.. with Mastercam it's a lifetime lease with an option to purchase maintenance

If you don't purchase maintenance you still have use of the software.

with a subscription service like Fusion  it's a month to month or year to year rental..  don't pay the rent and you're out in the street

7 hours ago, Born to machine said:

I have not had a problem with crashing.

I have had lots of issues with hinky line selection in trim and fillet.

MC2020 Update 2 is supposed to fix this.

I don't know when it will be out or what service date it will have.

I would think something as basic as this would warrant a service date of 5/31/20, MC2021's initial release date

so all MC2021 users got this fix.

Ken I agree with your comments..clearly as far as I am finding with the fillet issue there was a problem with the initial release.. I'm not asking for extra features ect with an update just to fix a basic issue which is used dozens of times a day.. Life without this fix to me renders the software useless.. Especially sucks if you don't backup your files when it does crash.. How do I make a case for software fix for this given my maintenance has just expired? 

Ken I agree with your comments..clearly as far as I am finding with the fillet issue there was a problem with the initial release.. I'm not asking for extra features ect with an update just to fix a basic issue which is used dozens of times a day.. Life without this fix to me renders the software useless.. Especially sucks if you don't backup your files when it does crash.. How do I make a case for software fix for this given my maintenance has just expired? 

The update should still be good for your expired maintenance date since you already got 2021. 

On 8/13/2020 at 6:47 AM, Born to machine said:

If I buy a car and the management system is at fault I get it fixed under warranty no question.. 

did you ever try it , because in my experience they do everything they can to deny it and get out of having to fix it.

• Like 1
On 8/13/2020 at 7:42 AM, Leon82 said:

2020 crashes sometimes if you change the diameter while the fillet is still blue 

2021 i just did 50 different fillets changing radius  while still blue, sometimes it wouldn't take the first selection of the line but haven't crashed, actually i haven't had any crashes with 2021

JMO

1 minute ago, htm01 said:

2021 i just did 50 different fillets changing radius  while still blue, sometimes it wouldn't take the first selection of the line but haven't crashed, actually i haven't had any crashes with 2021

JMO

Oh it happens....might it be reflected in to 500+ meg file I am working, maybe....but it has happened to me as well

30 minutes ago, htm01 said:

didn't mean to imply that it doesn't happen, just that it's not cause to condemn Mastercam completely 

While frustrating, I agreed with that...do what you gotta do and move on is my motto...

Last thing I want is a guy complaining he can't get it done....I'll show him 10 ways from Tuesday to get it done

2 weeks running 2021 and haven't had any of the issues reported here. At times, I've found the selection process when trimming and filleting can be a bit bulky (have to select again when it wouldn't take) but not that big a deal.

One thing irks me (not related to this topic): Say, you want to convert solid body(ies) to surfs - no dialog box shows up like in previous versions. I have to triple click a solid to select the body. Sometimes I have to do it more than once to take. In previous versions, all I do is select the solid body icon and it only selects bodies (and not faces, etc.)...or select the 'faces only' icon / button to select faces. The clicking only selection bugs me a bit. I prefer the former described.

On 8/13/2020 at 6:47 AM, Born to machine said:

I totally disagree.. 

Your first mistake is comparing software to a car.

As for your maintenance, it's been stated that it will be in update 2, so relax tough guy.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, jeff said:

Your first mistake is comparing software to a car.

As for your maintenance, it's been stated that it will be in update 2, so relax tough guy. 

BtM did not renew his maintenance this year.

The problem will be fixed with Update 2.

Will Update 2 be back dated to 05/31/20 or will it require current maintenance ?

That is unknown.

If it was my call, it would be back dated.  It's fixing a basic function that is not running correctly.

We'll have to wait and see. 

• Like 1
Just now, gcode said:

BtM did not renew his maintenance this year.

The problem will be fixed with Update 2.

Will Update 2 be back dated to 05/31/20 or will it require current maintenance ?

That is unknown.

If it was my call, it would be back dated.  It's fixing a basic function that is not running correctly.

We'll have to wait and see. 

I thought that maintenance covered the full version and any update that goes with it? I've been wrong once before.

4 minutes ago, jeff said:

I thought that maintenance covered the full version and any update that goes with it? I've been wrong once before.

check out the Info tabs on MC2020 downloads on Mastercam.com

Update 1         May 31 2019  (initial release date)

Update 1.1     May 31 2019

Update 2        Dec  31 2019

If you let your maintenance expire after May 31 2019, you are not running Update 2

I would bet that MC2021 Update 2 will be dated to May 31 2020, but that is only my opinion.  

On 8/13/2020 at 5:03 AM, Ken Erman from CNC Software Inc. said:

I have not heard of any reports of crashing from our QC group or on the Mastercam forum which i monitor regularly.

I have posted on the Mastercam forums about crashing. And I have been going back and fourth with Steven and Brian. They have logged into my computer and watched me crashed it regularly. They have scoured my system and are still stumped. Last I talked to Steven they have a hopeful idea they want to try out. But crashing is happening.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 8:54 AM, gcode said:

I would bet that MC2021 Update 2 will be dated to May 31 2020, but that is only my opinion.  

This is confirmed by Aaron Eberhard of CNC Software in this thread

If you can run MC2021 you will be able to run MC2021 Update 2, even if you have dropped maintenance

• Like 2