Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Parameters of tool in Mastercam

I think number 1 is tooling sheet data. The only field I use in that block is Chuck. I add the tool holder name in that field and it gets added to the tooling list.  Number 2 is a set of parameters for how a milling tool is to perform. If you are using a 1/2" end mill and put 40% rough XY step you will get .200 width of cut in your tool path. If you put 40% in the rough Z step you will get a .200 depth of cut. finish XY and finish Z work the same way for your finish pass. I don't use the rough and finish check boxes since that will be controlled inside the operations. That may also be for the tooling sheet.

I don't use #1 field but I do use the #2 field on ALL my tools.  I have over 200 tools in my library and by using the rough and finish settings allows for these parameters to be automatically input into the Depth of Cut and Step over fields saving a lot time and repetition!  Your drill pecks work off of this too.  I have all my drilling set to Deep Hole Cycle and it uses these parameters to input the pecks.  I would also suggest setting your coolant settings on all your tools by clicking the small black arrow on the left under Material-Carbide.   Again, saving the repetition.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tpreb6 said:

I would also suggest setting your coolant settings on all your tools by clicking the small black arrow on the left under Material-Carbide.   Again, saving the repetition.

Thanks about your answer. I have tried to setting coolant in that field, but nothing change. I still must go to Coolant options --> Switch flood ON for each tool to have M8 gcode for each in my program (below picture). It's not automatically pull in. Is it a Mastercam's bug? 

Capture.PNG

9 hours ago, Tim Johnson said:

I think number 1 is tooling sheet data. The only field I use in that block is Chuck. I add the tool holder name in that field and it gets added to the tooling list.  Number 2 is a set of parameters for how a milling tool is to perform. If you are using a 1/2" end mill and put 40% rough XY step you will get .200 width of cut in your tool path. If you put 40% in the rough Z step you will get a .200 depth of cut. finish XY and finish Z work the same way for your finish pass. I don't use the rough and finish check boxes since that will be controlled inside the operations. That may also be for the tooling sheet.

Yeah. I have thinked parameters of number 2 will be automatically added on Depth cuts and Step over for tool but i'm not sure. If it's true, we will save much time when create Mastercam program.