Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WSEC on an HMC?

I work for Doosan Machine Tools. We have a customer that is insisting on using WSEC on a horizontal machining center and in fact has already purchased the option. Says it does not work. I believe I already know the answer but need to know if I am missing something. WSEC is for 5 axis only and in reality, the customer should have bought RTDFO. So, since the customer can't get it to work, it has been thrust upon me to have Fanuc come out to our showroom, install it on our NHP5000 HMC and get it to work. Can the more knowledgeable gents please comment on this. I am trying to avoid wasting a lot of peoples time and I am afraid that is exactly what I would be doing. I spoke with the dealer and he told the customer that WSEC was the wrong option but the customer went ahead with this anyway. As always, your help is appreciated.

It also seems that Fanuc doesn't know enough to just say don't do that.

Paul

4 minutes ago, PAnderson said:

I work for Doosan Machine Tools. We have a customer that is insisting on using WSEC on a horizontal machining center and in fact has already purchased the option. Says it does not work. I believe I already know the answer but need to know if I am missing something. WSEC is for 5 axis only and in reality, the customer should have bought RTDFO. So, since the customer can't get it to work, it has been thrust upon me to have Fanuc come out to our showroom, install it on our NHP5000 HMC and get it to work. Can the more knowledgeable gents please comment on this. I am trying to avoid wasting a lot of peoples time and I am afraid that is exactly what I would be doing. I spoke with the dealer and he told the customer that WSEC was the wrong option but the customer went ahead with this anyway. As always, your help is appreciated.

It also seems that Fanuc doesn't know enough to just say don't do that.

Paul

We have used it on Fanuc's that are HMC. You program everything for the G54 position and when you apply the G54.4 P1 that gives you the find adjustment for the G54 workoffset like they are thinking. We did have to have FANUC change some parameters on one Machine to get it working correctly. Reach out to Marty in the Los Angles Fanuc Office he is one of the best I have worked with on getting the controls dialed in.

20 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

We have used it on Fanuc's that are HMC. You program everything for the G54 position and when you apply the G54.4 P1 that gives you the find adjustment for the G54 workoffset like they are thinking. We did have to have FANUC change some parameters on one Machine to get it working correctly. Reach out to Marty in the Los Angles Fanuc Office he is one of the best I have worked with on getting the controls dialed in.

Thanks CM,

That is good to hear, it's a start. Customer states they want to pick up a part origin and then maintain that origin when the B Axis is sent to any specific angle. WSEC doesn't handle that, does it? He will still need RTDFO and/or G68.2 for 3+2. I also read on here that WSEC doesn't like large offset values, it's more to fine tune than anything.

I don't have a good contact in our area for Fanuc. Do you have a last name for Marty or a contact number?

$#!+ can RTDFO (G54.2) all together and just go with TWP. Way better. Way more powerful. WAY easier to use. 

Too many people mistakenly believe WSEC is the same as DFO. It is not, and it should not be thought of, nor used in that manner.

@PAnderson, you're going to need to set the #19700 parameters (X and Z minimum) in order for WSEC, TCP and/or TWP to work. You are correct, WSEC definitely does NOT like large values.

Marty is on the West Coast. You "should" have some guys out east. Out of Chicago, I'd look up Bill Jones or Rick Schultz. They should be able to point you in the right direction for a local guy for you.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

$#!+ can RTDFO (G54.2) all together and just go with TWP. Way better. Way more powerful. WAY easier to use. 

Too many people mistakenly believe WSEC is the same as DFO. It is not, and it should not be thought of, nor used in that manner.

@PAnderson, you're going to need to set the #19700 parameters (X and Z minimum) in order for WSEC, TCP and/or TWP to work. You are correct, WSEC definitely does NOT like large values.

Marty is on the West Coast. You "should" have some guys out east. Out of Chicago, I'd look up Bill Jones or Rick Schultz. They should be able to point you in the right direction for a local guy for you. 

James, thanks a bunch for this. This is just as I thought, I just needed more verification. Fanuc wants to come in and test this on one of our HMC's. I don't perticularly mind but I don't want to set a precident and give the impression this is a viable option for a HMC. It is not.

Thanks again,

Paul

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, PAnderson said:

James, thanks a bunch for this. This is just as I thought, I just needed more verification. Fanuc wants to come in and test this on one of our HMC's. I don't perticularly mind but I don't want to set a precident and give the impression this is a viable option for a HMC. It is not.

Thanks again,

Paul

Sales is happy to sale a customer whatever they want and our jobs sometimes to help them make that sale happen. I have eating my share of bad sales promises to keep a customer happy giving them what they think they wanted that was not really needed mumbling under my breathe the whole time doing it. Sometimes you have to just say your peace and move on to the next fire. I would like to sit with the Fanuc Guys for a few days and test things on a machine that sounds like a good time. Wish you were closer I would pay my own way just to be a part of that learning experience if I were allowed to be a part of it.

James gave you two local contacts so see if they pan out if they don't I will dig up Marty's information. Been a few years since we worked on something.

3 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Sales is happy to sale a customer whatever they want and our jobs sometimes to help them make that sale happen. I have eating my share of bad sales promises to keep a customer happy giving them what they think they wanted that was not really needed mumbling under my breathe the whole time doing it. Sometimes you have to just say your peace and move on to the next fire. I would like to sit with the Fanuc Guys for a few days and test things on a machine that sounds like a good time. Wish you were closer I would pay my own way just to be a part of that learning experience if I were allowed to be a part of it.

James gave you two local contacts so see if they pan out if they don't I will dig up Marty's information. Been a few years since we worked on something.

Thanks CM,

I asked Fanuc for guidance on the propriety of WSEC on an HMC. Below was his response.

We cannot make  comment on which function to use as It is up to MTB to decide which function to be applied for the particular machine.  

WSEC(G54.4) was ordered by the Customer via Doosan and we installed the option. And now we are just responding  to issue reported by Doosan that FANUC option did not work and want to support as best we could.

We have a Fanuc office within walking distance of our showroom. Koshi Kanda is good but there is a language barrier. Things that should take a day take 2 or 3 days. I need a translator on my phone and he needs one on his. Beat my head against the wall is what I want to do.