Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Carbide drill for 316 stainless - recommendations needed

Thad

We have a stamped part that we run out of 316 stainless. They want to add another hole to the part. It will eventually be added in the die but we have 500 parts without the hole that they want reworked. I'm hoping to run it with air blast (no coolant). I'm looking for recommendations on solid carbide drills to add the hole. The part is .100 thick and jobber length drill will be used. This *should* be a one time run.

Brand? Coating? Anything else?

Thanks!

Walter Titex, Ghuring, OSG come to mind. That thin I would look at a 140 to 150 deg drill point. Might look for the 3 Flute tools more expensive, but they do a good job. Just use each one's Material grade tool selector and then they will call up the right drill and give you speed and feed recommendations. 

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Greg_J said:

What's the diameter of the hole?

Are you looking for speed or for one drill to last the part run?

.257 dia. I've been authorized to buy 6 drills.

Speed is obviously a concern, but it's not like we're running 1000s of parts all year long. 

18 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Yes. IT is a sheet metal part how tight you need to hold the true position on it? that thin no reason to spot in my mind especially with a 3 flute drill. 

Three flute drill doesn't look an option for us. Also, we're limited to what's offered at MSC.

My concern with whether to spot or not was because of the carbide drill, not the part thickness. Isn't there an issue of blown corners on a carbide drill when spotting the hole first? I'm kinda new to the carbide drill thing and production is not my forte. Oh...and hurry up, Thad.

5 minutes ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

Why isn't 3 flute an option?

MSC carries SGS & they make a very good 3 flute drill.

Got a link? I don't see 3 flute drills there.

7 minutes ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

Why isn't 3 flute an option?

MSC carries SGS & they make a very good 3 flute drill.

Now I see them.

2 hours ago, Thad said:

Isn't there an issue of blown corners on a carbide drill when spotting the hole first?

So they recommend that with carbide you start with a large included angle, then drop to a lesser angle with the follow drill so you just get initial engagement on the point, so less immediate heat build up.

• Thanks 1

I'm late to the party too, but my 5c worth... I'm currently running some drilling of 316, 6.5mm diameter. I'm using Sandvik Coromant 861.1 drills. Well, I'm still on the first drill it has currently drilled a total of 9 metres :)

• Like 3

Can anyone offer some speed/feed recommendations for plain old uncoated, 2 flute, solid carbide, Hertel, 118 degree drill? I found a Hertel chart that says 80-300 SFM and .005 per tooth for a material type of "Stainless Steel (soft)." I'm not sure where 316 stainless falls in the Stainless Steel (soft) realm. Any advice is appreciated.

1 hour ago, Thad said:

I'm not sure where 316 stainless falls in the Stainless Steel (soft) realm. Any advice is appreciated.

It's on the harder side compared to 304 for example, but not as hard as 17.4 ph for example the 17.4 ph no coolant I drop as low as 75 sfm  /  150 sfm for 316 ss like millman said / 300 sfm for 303-304 

13 hours ago, Thad said:

Can anyone offer some speed/feed recommendations for plain old uncoated, 2 flute, solid carbide, Hertel, 118 degree drill? I found a Hertel chart that says 80-300 SFM and .005 per tooth for a material type of "Stainless Steel (soft)." I'm not sure where 316 stainless falls in the Stainless Steel (soft) realm. Any advice is appreciated.

316sst is not necessarily "hard". The molybdenum in 316 does make it a lot tougher and more chemical resistant than 304sst. What you need to watch out for with an uncoated carbide drill is the accumulation of heat to the point that the cobalt can no longer hold on the the carbide at a faster pace. If you start seeing notches in your drill then you will need to cut the rpm. If your drill has a web point you need to either give it a split point or cut the rpm to lessen the heat. I would go 80 to 100 sfm.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
On 8/21/2020 at 11:21 AM, Thad said:

No spot, just straight drill in?

Rarely would you ever want to spot with a carbide drill. Especially in stainless.

Go to the Guhring site and first select you material. Then size, the reference length. Do not choose a 3 flute for this. You will be looking for a 2 flute 140deg.

All of your options will be listed. Click on the drill then scroll down for your speeds and feeds link. Guhring makes drilling easy.