Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

This process not available

Born to machine

2 minutes ago, JParis said:

Resource not available

Yup, I've seen that one when open all day....crash is coming...save and restart MCAM...

My coworker had that yesterday, I've seen it before.

1 hour ago, Greg_J said:

Does auto save work well? I disabled it back in X2 days because I would save at the worse time and seem to lock up MC for a while.

Hence the mantra "save and save often".

Yes I have used it since X4. Saved me many times over the years. I hate when it somehow gets changed and is not Autosaving and backing up my files. 

9 hours ago, Greg Williams said:

The save button gets a workout here

Yep, same here, it's habit for me to save after everything I do in Mastercam. Even if it's drawing a circle.

I made it easy for myself and put this at the forefront of every tab on my ribbon:

New,Save,Open,Print and Fit are on every tab. Makes my life 100x easier.

ribbon.jpg

• Like 3

Back in ye olden days (I cant remember which version) Something was broken with that auto save and it corrupted a very tricky part I was programming (it was like 200+ megs at the time... early 2000's) and I lost it all. I have never gone back and tried it and I never will, that trust bridge was burned to ash. I use the auto backup keeping a few copies every time I save and I save a lot and its saved me countless times.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, gms1 said:

Back in ye olden days (I cant remember which version) Something was broken with that auto save and it corrupted a very tricky part I was programming (it was like 200+ megs at the time... early 2000's) and I lost it all. I have never gone back and tried it and I never will, that trust bridge was burned to ash. I use the auto backup keeping a few copies every time I save and I save a lot and its saved me countless times.

I have a very similar story. I've been bitten by Autosave more than once, so for me it is "Backup", but I set the max copies to '20', and I always set the "Backup Folder Location" to "C:\MCBACKUP". (This gives you a single location to search through, and also a single location for "purging" your old files.) I typically will sort my backup folder by "date" about once every month, and will delete any backups older than 30 days.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

I have a very similar story. I've been bitten by Autosave more than once, so for me it is "Backup", but I set the max copies to '20', and I always set the "Backup Folder Location" to "C:\MCBACKUP". (This gives you a single location to search through, and also a single location for "purging" your old files.) I typically will sort my backup folder by "date" about once every month, and will delete any backups older than 30 days.

I do keep mine sorted on a separate drive but I sort mine by mastercam version because I still do use 2019/2020 occasionally and that soup mix of backups drove me nuts.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 12:12 PM, gms1 said:

Back in ye olden days (I cant remember which version) Something was broken with that auto save and it corrupted a very tricky part I was programming

yes... back in the day Autosave worked fine for small files but it could kill you on big files that took a while to save

autosave would kick in and start saving a big file, you would be working away , and autosave is trying to save a moving target.

the end result would be a crash and filesize = 0

That happened to me on a V9 project and I lost whole lot of work

I turned it off and have never used it again so I don't know if it's better now

I use the backup utility set to 10 saves.

file size on my current project is 600meg so that eats 6 gig of space on my backup drive

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 8:33 AM, jeff said:

Yep, same here, it's habit for me to save after everything I do in Mastercam. Even if it's drawing a circle.

I made it easy for myself and put this at the forefront of every tab on my ribbon:

New,Save,Open,Print and Fit are on every tab. Makes my life 100x easier.

ribbon.jpg

I have all the File commands and pr1nt on my QA bar so I don't have to open a tab to hit Save.. it's always there

File QA commands.jpg

On 8/27/2020 at 9:23 AM, crazy^millman said:

For anyone experiencing this issue. Please take screen shots and report it to QC(at)mastercam(dot)com 

I did this this morning and got a quick reply. He wanted me to make a registry edit which I did and so far so good. 

this is the email respnse.

The registry setting that I’d like you to adjust is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\GDIProcessHandleQuota

(See attached picture for details)

What is your current setting in Decimal? I’d suggest starting by doubling this value to 20000 in Decimal value.

This is a windows buffer, and changing this setting may either increase the time between crashes or maybe big enough to prevent them from happening at all.

Please let me know what your current value is set to, what you set it to and if this makes any type of difference in the crashing.

You will need to reboot your system after making this change in order for it to be applied.

The pictures from the email. If someone wants try it and let us know if it works.

pictures.thumb.png.ab4eea64543a05d1da82baa16ff5fa4a.png

• Like 2
On 8/25/2020 at 11:26 PM, gcode said:

I don't know what causes it, but it shows up when I've been working for a long time

If it does, Stop working, and save immediately.

Then close Mastercam, relaunch and go back to work

If you fail to do this, you will crash

Just happened to me, instant crash, lost a whole minute and a half :,(

On 8/27/2020 at 3:37 PM, Greg_J said:

Does auto save work well? I disabled it back in X2 days because I would save at the worse time and seem to lock up MC for a while.

Hence the mantra "save and save often".

I never use Autosave. Sometimes, I might not want to save and close w/o saving then re-open.

I save often manually. Faster than 5 minutes or whatever time you set for Autosave.

I do use backups, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out there are 2 places for this value in Windows 10 64 bit. The other is here...

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

Found the info here... https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38612364/how-to-increase-the-maximum-amount-of-gdi-object-for-windows-10