Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Operation display multiple tools by default?

JHyder2

Hi all,

Does anyone know a way of configuring operation defaults to display multiple tools when an operation is programmed in 2020?  I'm trying to set up in such a way that when programmers select a given toolpath, they are presented with a list of appropriate tools automatically without having to sort and filter through tool libraries.  I currently have a library with only the tools they will need, but they still have to open the library and pick the tool the first time it is used in a file.

In control definition in operation defaults, it displays as I would like with three tools shown as soon as you come to the tool page within the parameters.  When programming, you still have to go to the library and bring in the tools that are not selected as the default for that operation.  Is there a way to populate them here automatically?  I reached out to my reseller but figured I'd ask here while I wait. 

eMastercam .png

13 minutes ago, The Chipmaker said:

If you use the same toolpaths over and over you can always import them in form another file. It will keep all the previous tools and parameters.

I thought of this, but a lot of what they program are drill cycles, and the depth is set by the point selection.  When using imported operations, picking the point does not update the depth which has to be done manually.  This method saves them one step but adds a different one.  

10 minutes ago, heavychevy2155 said:

You could open your tool manager, then open your library with your tools and highlight and copy them up.

8-26-2020 10-11-29 AM.png

This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid having to do in each and every file.

2 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Pick your default library and the tools you can choose should come up. The other option to make a library for a specific machine and use it. I like combining holders and tools for a specific machine verses the free for all process the default tools is using. 

The library is defaulted to the one they need, but they still have to go through the "select library tool" dialogue and grab it the first time it is used in a given file.  I'm trying to save them this step as they will only ever use T1, T2, and T3 out of the same library over and over again.  

2 hours ago, JHyder2 said:

The library is defaulted to the one they need, but they still have to go through the "select library tool" dialogue and grab it the first time it is used in a given file.  I'm trying to save them this step as they will only ever use T1, T2, and T3 out of the same library over and over again.  

Go in the control defaults for that machine and make them part of the defaults and see if that helps. 

A lot of people don't realize you can edit common parameters in the operation defaults to change a lot of the defaults quick and easy. 

Once you in the edit common parameters pick the tools you would like a defaults to show up for your machine. Problem will be you have to pick them one by one and hit the blue apply to apply them. I think that should add the standard tools you want to always show to eliminate some mouse clicks. 

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

Go in the defaults for that machine and make them part of the defaults and see if that helps. 

I set it as the default in the machine definition general parameters as well as checking "automatically load tools when machine is read into a machine group" and they're still not displaying automatically.  Seems like that would have the intended results and maybe it's not working properly?

edit:  I have it set as the default library in machine and control definitions, and as the mill tool library in configuration.  Is there anywhere else I could be missing? 

2 hours ago, JHyder2 said:

Want an add-in to import your tools automatically on startup?

I could write a chook for that.

1 minute ago, JHyder2 said:

If it speeds things up like on the official forums, there are actually four people who will be using it if/when it comes out 😅

It does, I cater to the masses. Bwahah.

54 minutes ago, Brad St. said:

How about using a generic start part that has your tools and ops already in it. Simply merge in your new geom and reapply it to the toolpaths.

this would be my suggestion as well, make a template file that already had the machine loaded, tools loaded, levels or anything else that you want. Then make that file read only so no one can overwrite it and can only save as. And from there just have them use that file as a shortcut, or put the file on the server and make a shortcut to it to have them use. you could pin that file to the top of the recent file list so they can easily open that file when starting new jobs and because the file is set to read only they are unable to save over it and will see permission denied if they try, but they will still be able to save as and as soon as they choose save as and save it under a new file name or a new location that file wont be read only so they will have full control. 

We can even edit the target line of a mastercam shortcut to launch a specific file or a specific user configuration, but in this case a shortcut to a template would be just as easy.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, JoshC said:

this would be my suggestion as well, make a template file that already had the machine loaded, tools loaded, levels or anything else that you want. Then make that file read only so no one can overwrite it and can only save as. And from there just have them use that file as a shortcut, or put the file on the server and make a shortcut to it to have them use. you could pin that file to the top of the recent file list so they can easily open that file when starting new jobs and because the file is set to read only they are unable to save over it and will see permission denied if they try, but they will still be able to save as and as soon as they choose save as and save it under a new file name or a new location that file wont be read only so they will have full control. 

We can even edit the target line of a mastercam shortcut to launch a specific file or a specific user configuration, but in this case a shortcut to a template would be just as easy.

Josh that was my next suggestion. Make a template file for every machine and material in your shop. Put travel limits on a level. All working holding used on the machine on different levels. Make your Material libraries and speeds and feeds dialed in for all standard tooling. The tool library with all the holders already integrated into it and named for a specific machine and material. DMU80 FD Inconel, DMU80 FD Aluminum, DMU80 FD Stainless Steel  and such. In the defaults you can pick your defaults, your tool library and every time it fires up from each of them everything is ready to go without any thinking needed.

• Like 2

On a side note if you go with a template Zaffin recently made an addin that will set the file to read only or remove the read only with the click of a button. If someones going to be making templates often this little tool is pretty handy because you can edit the files read only attributes inside of mastercam, here is where he shared the addin 

• Like 1

To those suggesting the template-file idea, I appreciate the idea and it seems like it would work well in many situations.  While I suppose this could accomplish what I'm looking for, it makes more sense for my people to be bringing in tools every time rather than parts every time.  I truly hope not to sound unappreciative of the solutions that have been offered.  The situation at hand combined with our shop work flow is causing me to have a very specific goal in mind, and not changing anything would be better than making the wrong change.  

The library is the default in control and machine definitions, configuration, automatically load tools when machine is read into group is on in machine def, and the specific tools I want are applied in the control definition operation defaults as Millman suggested.  None of this is having the desired result. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JHyder2 said:

To those suggesting the template-file idea, I appreciate the idea and it seems like it would work well in many situations.  While I suppose this could accomplish what I'm looking for, it makes more sense for my people to be bringing in tools every time rather than parts every time.  I truly hope not to sound unappreciative of the solutions that have been offered.  The situation at hand combined with our shop work flow is causing me to have a very specific goal in mind, and not changing anything would be better than making the wrong change.  

The library is the default in control and machine definitions, configuration, automatically load tools when machine is read into group is on in machine def, and the specific tools I want are applied in the control definition operation defaults as Millman suggested.  None of this is having the desired result. 

No worries we all have our own work flows and methods. Hopefully you have already submitted a request to your dealer so they can push it up the ladder to see what can be done. I think you have the correct thoughts in what you are trying to accomplish. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

No worries we all have our own work flows and methods. Hopefully you have already submitted a request to your dealer so they can push it up the ladder to see what can be done. I think you have the correct thoughts in what you are trying to accomplish. 

Yes, I started with our dealer but figured I'd ask here while I wait to hear back from them.  I do appreciate the different perspectives and methods presented, and while they may not be a solution to my current project I hope to apply some of these things I've learned in the future.  Thanks all!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 1:20 PM, byte me said:

Let me know if that works for you.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be doing anything.  I tried both files in C:\programfiles\mastercam and C:\programfiles\mastercam\chooks with no luck.  I also set it to run at startup via configuration but that didn't change anything.  

Just now, JHyder2 said:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be doing anything.  I tried both files in C:\programfiles\mastercam and C:\programfiles\mastercam\chooks with no luck.  I also set it to run at startup via configuration but that didn't change anything.  

What does the event logger say?

There should be a notification when the chook is launched

There is the .ft file and the .dll in the chooks folder correct?

Mastercam needs to be restarted before a chook is added as they are loaded on startup.

If you right click on the files make sure you check the box at the bottom that says unblock.

The event logger will tell you usually. what's going on.