Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tolerances on File conversions

beej

4 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

It really depends on what is the "authority" for making the part. Is the "model" the standard to which the part should be made, or is it a drawing with tolerances?

The export issue doesn't just effect the "closure of the face edges", but the actual position in 3D space as well. I've seen walls that were "off" by 0.002-0.004", when simply opening up the stitching tolerances. This isn't to say that the "create a solid from surfaces" function is causing the issue. That isn't the problem at all. It is the "quality of the import geometry" that is really going to effect the outcome.

Usually in these cases, I keep the surfaces saved on a separate level, and use them in compare with the inaccurate 3d model hidden.

7 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

My preference was for the Moldplus Catia Translator, but the translator that is available from Mastercam directly has also been improved recently, so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm not aware of any comparisons between the two translators, to tell us definitively which is the better translator option, so my preference is purely anecdotal.

Yes, we have been using moldplus for many years, I have never tried the "native translator"

1 minute ago, byte said:

Usually in these cases, I keep the surfaces saved on a separate level, and use them in compare with the inaccurate 3d model hidden.

Now get into complex 3d and 5th axis surfaces and cuts...tight profile tolerances and surface finish requirements....you might have to essentially rebuild portions of the model. But your rebuild is likely not a match to the original model which when was brought in was already compromised.

• Like 1
On 9/2/2020 at 8:19 AM, beej said:

I"m wondering if anyone has had any luck using tolerances to help with importing solid models.  we always have problems with solid models that come in from Japan. They always convert in as surfaces or open sheet bodies and the edges are all over the place  keeping them from knitting together as a closed solid.    There are too many layers of insulation between me and the people generating these solids to get any help from Japan.

just wondering if there are tricks to help myself, that I'm missing.

If you are after a quality toolpaths; most likely you will have to remodel everything  from the drawing. Converting from one format to another does not help. If it's a simple part, remodel it to a drawing. If it's 3d complex, ask customer for a model that matches the drawing. My QA department keeps telling me that the Customer's  drawings precedes the model tolerances. I agree,  I tell them to adjust the model accordingly!