Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New to mill-turn

Bob W.

1 minute ago, JParis said:

I haven't had to as yet...most everything comes in with a standard orientation, I just transform it where it needs to go...that is something I should try and remember though

Definitely give it a try. Does the same thing as a Dynamic translation and faster/less steps. Automatically snaps on to the furthest extent of the part.

• Like 1

I have no experience with Mastercam Mill Turn, but we recently bought a 2007 Mori NT6600 and a Postability post

We had to get one edit to get tool numbers outputting properly, but other than that, output is edit free

The machine is 13 years new (200 hours on it) and we did not get models so no machine sim

I've ordered models (solid gold ) from Japan and have issued a PO for Vericut

Programming a machine like this without machine sim is NOT fun.. but Postabiity's code is post and go.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, gcode said:

I have no experience with Mastercam Mill Turn, but we recently bought a 2007 Mori NT6600 and a Postability post

We had to get one edit to get tool numbers outputting properly, but other than that, output is edit free

The machine is 13 years new (200 hours on it) and we did not get models so no machine sim

Programming a machine like this without machine sim is NOT fun.. but Postabiity's code is post and go.

I went through this on an i150W    MT can't handle it so bought a Postability post, couple minor tweaks...good code...

That said programming one of these machines with no sim is a hair raising proposal

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, JParis said:

That said programming one of these machines with no sim is a hair raising proposal

Amen brother

we had a Mori tech out here for 2 weeks training some guys to run it.

I was banging out test files and training files on a daily basis

The Mori tech said it was the cleanest code he'd ever seen

• Like 1
Just now, gcode said:

Amen brother

we had a Mori tech out here for 2 weeks training some guys to run it.

I was banging out test files and training files on a daily basis

The Mori tech said it was the cleanest code he'd ever seen

I warned them. I said, "I'll do everything I can not to put out code that'll crash the machine but I simply cannot guarantee it"

They didn't want to go in on CAV software...long story short, almost 10 months later they're both pumping out the same parts day in, day out and will  likely do so for the next couple of years.

4 minutes ago, Bob W. said:

For NC output...  In mill I select all of the operations, right click and 'edit common parameters', and change nc file name.  Not there in MT...

OK, you'll get IOF output first in Codemeter....then you post process out of Codemeter...doing a "Save As" at posting is the only way I have found....

That option doesn't exist as the posting process doesn't technically take place in "Mastercam"

You'll want to get used to working in Codemeter,. Much of what you used to accomplish in Mastercam is now done there

yl5np3j.png

21 minutes ago, gcode said:

Machine sim as in Vericut or Mastercam machine sim?  We did order the CAD from Mori as well.

5 minutes ago, JParis said:

OK, you'll get IOF output first in Codemeter....then you post process out of Codemeter...doing a "Save As" at posting is the only way I have found....

That option doesn't exist as the posting process doesn't technically take place in "Mastercam"

Bummer, I guess it pays to get the name correct right at the start 🙂

We ordered a  Vericut machine last week... between buying the models from Mori and CGtech's normal bill

and a freight car's worth of Sandvik Capto C8 tool holders the bosses are getting tired of writting checks for

getting this one on line.

Postability did say they could do machine sim for it, but at the time I did not have models and I did not get a formal quote

I regret that every time I program this machine

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, gcode said:

We ordered a  Vericut machine last week... between buying the models from Mori and CGtech's normal bill

and a freight car's worth of Sandvik Capto C8 tool holders the bosses are getting tired of writting checks for

getting this one on line.

Postability did say they could do machine sim for it, but at the time I did not have models and I did not get a formal quote

I regret that every time I program this machine

Yes, I'm cutting the checks for this one and I'm getting tired of it too!  It is expensive to tool one of these up.

• Like 2

When we first got mill-turn (for the exact machine...NTX2000 SZM) it was a HUGE help to go through the Mastercam Mill-Turn Tutorial. You pretty much have to follow the workflow they outline. It is very frustrating at first, but like anything, once you get used to it....it works.

Also make sure you got through the application guide...this will get you through the many settings that are buried in Code Expert.

The code we get is very good. We also drive a NT3200 will mill turn. Never had a wrong tool number...that one seems odd.

Screen Shot 046.JPG

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Bob W. said:

For NC output...  In mill I select all of the operations, right click and 'edit selected operations', and change nc file name.  Not there in MT...

In the JOB setup you can change the name of the file in there.

If you are going to bore jaws make a new machine group in the same file. Problem will be all the additional planes you will get. I am finding it is best to make 3 files. Open for the Right Spindle Jaws. One for the Left Spindle Jaws and the one for the part.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Got off the phone with MCAM NW and Tim gave a few pointers to get going.  First is to read the machine application guide and go over the demo file that was included.  I am getting code posted now but the machine still isn't liking it for some reason.  It alarms on G41 but if we edit that to G42 it runs fine.  We are climb milling a bore with an end mil and it is just a simple test program.

40 minutes ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

When we first got mill-turn (for the exact machine...NTX2000 SZM) it was a HUGE help to go through the Mastercam Mill-Turn Tutorial. You pretty much have to follow the workflow they outline. It is very frustrating at first, but like anything, once you get used to it....it works.

Also make sure you got through the application guide...this will get you through the many settings that are buried in Code Expert.

The code we get is very good. We also drive a NT3200 will mill turn. Never had a wrong tool number...that one seems odd.

Where would I find the tutorial?