Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New to mill-turn

Bob W.

15 minutes ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

Its funny how different AE's in different areas have loyalties different software packages....yet they all work for Mori.

Our local AE's have very high opinions on Gibbs.

It happens even in the same office. When I worked for the Okuma Distributor we had a time where we had AE's that worked with Esprit, Mcam, TopSolid, and Gibbs. 

Been running mill turn to program an i-100 ST integrex for 2 years now

the learning curve is brutal ( had programmed mostly mills in mcam for ~10 years), but i have been able to make some pretty ridiculous parts.

Don't be afraid to lean on your reseller to get the post correct.  Both resellers i've worked with have been great, post edits typically done the next day.

Sofar the machine simulation hasn't lied to me outside of a mazak specific drilling cycle that retraced in the wrong axis, luckily it was a small reamer...

Like all CAV stuff the simulation is only as good as the information you feed it.  It can't find an interference/collision you don't tell it about.

20 hours ago, Jayson Kramer-CNC Software said:

Bob,

Did you get any basic training for MT. you have a great help here from great users. I will try monitoring this to see if I can help at times to. .

Not yet, I have it scheduled for next week.  I have Esprit training on Tuesday and Wednesday, them Mcam on Friday.  It is going to be a long week...

I am machining some holes with the B-axis on a face plate that is ~12" in diameter.  These holes are spaced around the perimeter and I want the C-axis to index to the various hole locations because I think the B-axis would overtravel trying to get to the lower ones using the X-Y travels.  Is there a simple way to accomplish this?  There are 15 holes so I really don't want to create planes if I can avoid it.

On 9/4/2020 at 4:47 PM, Bob W. said:

I am machining some holes with the B-axis on a face plate that is ~12" in diameter.  These holes are spaced around the perimeter and I want the C-axis to index to the various hole locations because I think the B-axis would overtravel trying to get to the lower ones using the X-Y travels.  Is there a simple way to accomplish this?  There are 15 holes so I really don't want to create planes if I can avoid it.

Transform Rotate?

You can only access it through the mill Ribbon. Takes a few times to get the process down on the how and what then you should be good.

Sounds like a training and a support issue .....I just left a situation you about stepped into.....Okuma suggest esprit ..... the client ( good friend of mine ) bought  esprit ...after  90 days of wasted time trying to get a good program .... he came back to Mastercam ..... His claim was there was hardly any control in Esprit.......no backplot for a quick glance Of the tool Paths created before full machine simulation....

The machine was a multis B axis ....sub with lower turret as well........he is running  the part that esprit tripped on .....

once the secrets are unlocked and taught to the client ..... I’ve witnessed attainable good code 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Reece L Gibson said:

Sounds like a training and a support issue .....I just left a situation you about stepped into.....Okuma suggest esprit ..... the client ( good friend of mine ) bought  esprit ...after  90 days of wasted time trying to get a good program .... he came back to Mastercam ..... His claim was there was hardly any control in Esprit.......no backplot for a quick glance Of the tool Paths created before full machine simulation....

The machine was a multis B axis ....sub with lower turret as well........he is running  the part that esprit tripped on .....

once the secrets are unlocked and taught to the client ..... I’ve witnessed attainable good code 

Been there done that numerous time with Mastercam MT.

Time will tell.  Esprit is currently posting programs that run on the machine flawlessly but Mastercam has yet to do that without edits.  We got a mill program to run and we posted a program with both milling on the upper turret and turning on the lower turret and it didn't post the M-code to put the main spindle into turning mode.  This isn't the NTX prototype...  This stuff should have been dialed years ago...  My overwhelming preference is to program the machine in Mastercam but not if we need to hand edit every program.  That really goes against how we operate as a shop.  I'm also not too keen on spending a crapload of time and back and forth trying to get the post working.  Making parts pays the bills, not screwing around with posts..

• Like 3
On 9/4/2020 at 7:47 PM, Bob W. said:

Crazy already touched on this, you can program one then rotate all the others.  Also with regular Mastercam when transforming an operation i would  toggle posting off of the seed operation in a transform so all code was posted from the transform.  Mill turn does not like this, your going to want to keep the seed operation enabled.

or

Select them all and under setup-mill type select C axis and it should do them all with +x and c moves

Also we had a similar situation with posts, when we bought mill turn we were told the post was dialed 100% ready to go, it was not.  The entire program (Millturn) is still in heavy development, Mastercam is playing catchup to Esprit and the like.

On 9/8/2020 at 9:08 AM, Bob W. said:

Time will tell.  Esprit is currently posting programs that run on the machine flawlessly but Mastercam has yet to do that without edits.  We got a mill program to run and we posted a program with both milling on the upper turret and turning on the lower turret and it didn't post the M-code to put the main spindle into turning mode.  This isn't the NTX prototype...  This stuff should have been dialed years ago...  My overwhelming preference is to program the machine in Mastercam but not if we need to hand edit every program.  That really goes against how we operate as a shop.  I'm also not too keen on spending a crapload of time and back and forth trying to get the post working.  Making parts pays the bills, not screwing around with posts..

That is kind of interesting, and if I can offer my 2c worth. Don't be put off using another application to program a machine. More often than not, it is the best tool for the job that needs to be used. I've got no experience with Esprit, but I know of a couple users who use it solely for their Mill-Turns, and they've had nothing but success with it, right out of the box.

I know this is a MC board, (with some of the best support minded people out there helping), but at the end of the day, while the machine is sitting idle, it isn't making money, and as Gecko779 mentioned, MC is playing catchup to Esprit and the other Mill-Turn heavies :)

+1 on Esprit. Programmed Nakumura 3 turret lathes and 2 spindles with ease and I am a native Mastercam user. Esprit does have a back plot option and verification just like mastercam, the interface of the software however is outdated. It seems mastercam over complicates millturn