Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I am having a terrible time using the Dynamic Milling tool path.  I have tried to watch several tutorial but I do not have the solid model they are using.   Can someone please let me know where I can find a good tutorial I can follow along with or have any guidance they could offer?

Thanks Efriends

7 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Got a sample file with some toolpath attempts in it?

I use my normal chains quite a bit as well, but solid chaining and have good results from it .... just-sayin''' my friend. 🙂

I hear ya, Ron...I just think it gimmicky...soon we'll have regions defined by faces selected and then we'll have to define cutting strategies based on different shapes of cutting..

I've seen where this goes, it leads to CamWorks....

Wireframe is far superior in many ways to solid edges....plus I can import it with geometry

Not a fan....

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, JParis said:

I hear ya, Ron...I just think it gimmicky...soon we'll have regions defined by faces selected and then we'll have to define cutting strategies based on different shapes of cutting..

I've seen where this goes, it leads to CamWorks....

Wireframe is far superior in many ways to solid edges....plus I can import it with geometry

Not a fan....

I hear you sir, but ask the next group of engineers if they know what a Dummy Boolean Solid is used for? Amazing how many new ones don't know how to solid model the old school way with wireframe. AutoCad is what got me started in CAD back in the Mid 80's in School. Then I took several classes at the Community College. Everyone wants the dumb solids approach and it has it's place, but knowing how each aspect works of the software is what is lacking in most programmers resume. I know many that can drill a hole in a block with 4 holes all day long. Now ask them to take a RAH and drive it 22" inside of a part and do some 5 Axis machining with it? See how many go running for the hills and how many want to figure it out and know how.

We have that here now if we can get a file to see his efforts then we can assist him to know how, why and make him a better programmer and in my book that is a win-win.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JParis said:

What really blows my mind, is that toolpath nesting can import operations from multiple planes and solid chains in one shot, while the importer, cannot.. 

There is clearly functionality that exists that just needs to be ported over..

11 hours ago, Leon82 said:

I even made 3D chains when a combination of multipasses and depth cuts wouldn't do what I wanted.

I can show you levels upon level of wireframe I have this current part, but for 5 axis toolpaths I am using more and more solid wireframe to drive them. I don't ever see Mastercam every getting to the point of not needing it. Even the most advanced toolpaths still sometimes need help. I have worked with several customers in the last year using different CAM Software. Everyone of them that do it for you are lacking greatly in toolpath creation along with control. With the AD push many are running out of good options for a Software that allows you the freedom and Control Mastercam does. There are other good CAM Software out there no doubt.

Now we just need Laebs to post up a file.

• Like 1

I used to be like you old timers and didn't like to use solids for toolpathing.

Then one day I stopped yelling "get off my lawn!" and gave it a chance. I haven't looked back. Solid chaining makes your life so much easier, but I guess it's dependent on the type of work you're doing.

• Haha 1

Laebs,

The Dynamic Milling Toolpath is a really nice tool and once you understand it you will find a lot of places to use it. I would like to see the file also and get you headed in the right direction.

I am a tool hog!  I try to look at every option available, learn it, and then decide which "tool' to use in a given situation. I use solid edges a lot but I also use wireframe.  It really depends on the situation.  I always think that any option that I am given is a chance to make my life-programming/designing- easier!

• Like 2

Thank you so very much for you offer.   I have attached the files from solid works I have not yet grabbed them with Mastercam 2021

This is part will be run in our 5-axis Mazak M430.  Until now I have just been programming for 2D in our 3-axis machining centers.  One of our programmers in the 5-axis department has left to take a position elsewhere.  This is my chance I don't want to mess it up.  That said I realize I need to learn so much more about 5-axis and even dynamic milling.  The fact is a guy is so busy doing his current job where do you get the time to practice(learn).  If I only had something to follow along with some guidance I am dedicated to putting any time that is needed.  They are securing this part to a block with a socket head cap screw.

Thank you and please if you can email me any examples I will sign your praises non stop :)😀

81107947.SLDPRT

81107947_TURNED.SLDPRT

P81107947.SLDASM

P81107947-1.SLDPRT

P81107947-2.SLDASM

47 minutes ago, Laebs said:

Thank you so very much for you offer.   I have attached the files from solid works I have not yet grabbed them with Mastercam 2021

This is part will be run in our 5-axis Mazak M430.  Until now I have just been programming for 2D in our 3-axis machining centers.  One of our programmers in the 5-axis department has left to take a position elsewhere.  This is my chance I don't want to mess it up.  That said I realize I need to learn so much more about 5-axis and even dynamic milling.  The fact is a guy is so busy doing his current job where do you get the time to practice(learn).  If I only had something to follow along with some guidance I am dedicated to putting any time that is needed.  They are securing this part to a block with a socket head cap screw.

Thank you and please if you can email me any examples I will sign your praises non stop :)😀

81107947.SLDPRT

81107947_TURNED.SLDPRT

P81107947.SLDASM

P81107947-1.SLDPRT

P81107947-2.SLDASM

Okay now that we have an idea of what your trying to machine that is great. Where is your Mastercam file? Show us how you have it setup on the machine and what tools your planning on cutting with. Glad you getting time to practice, but many ways to set this part up and go about it and that is what we need to see. The setup in the Mastercam file with your effort put into the process. Then we can give you some examples on how to go about what your after. 

Okay thank you.  I will do my best to get something to you in a couple of days.  Can you tell me where I may be able to find some files for something with this type of shape like a football or something?  If I can find a example like that I think it would help as far as what tool paths to use.

Thank you sir.

On 9/21/2020 at 12:28 PM, Laebs said:

Okay thank you.  I will do my best to get something to you in a couple of days.  Can you tell me where I may be able to find some files for something with this type of shape like a football or something?  If I can find a example like that I think it would help as far as what tool paths to use.

Thank you sir.

Look at the Official Mastercam web site and the tech exchange. All kind of sample files there with toolpaths and other thing to glean from.

Thank you Fellas for the replies.  I have not had a chance to sit down and even start working on this project.  I work in medical manufacturing and the amount of paperwork is nothing close to what I have seen.  This weekend will be dedicated to doing that. 

If anyone would be so kind to send some email me some examples that mirror the part I have sent I will sign songs about you.  heck I'll even post a video of me signing songs about you!