Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

This is a disaster or this is a great opportunity.  I hope it's the latter.

I have the solid of the table, trunnion, vise and fixture as well as the solid model of the part to program and the prepped stock that will be used and assembled.

I have heard you must find the table to trunnion center line first which I did (7.0866)

Next I find the stack up which is your vise+fixture+part but that is built/generated in the post, correct? 

Now the questions I have and and the answers I am looking for.  I have 2021 but an older version with example is fine.

How do I proceed in Mastercam?

Where do I set my work coordinate?

What paths should I use?

I have been reading up on 3D solids selection and toolpathing but i'm still having issues.  I know I am on repeat here but if I someone could get me started and return their examples. I believe I can plow through.  I don't want to go off site and have to pay a design house to do it for me.  For that matter I don't have the money to do it if I wanted to.

Thanks fellas I am going to repost this here so if you can't help me someone else may be able to.

Complete_assembled_table_and_5_axis_jaws_with_part.mcam

1 hour ago, Laebs said:

This is a disaster or this is a great opportunity.  I hope it's the latter.

I have heard you must find the table to trunnion center line first which I did (7.0866)

Next I find the stack up which is your vise+fixture+part but that is built/generated in the post, correct? 

Where do I set my work coordinate?

Disasters are ALWAYS opportunities. It's all in how you look at things. :D

1) Not necessarily. This depends entirely on what options your machine has AND what functions your post processor supports.

2) You need the stackup when doing collision checking.

3) Set your work cordinates based on the features of your machine and post processor.

All the machines I work on have Tilted Work Plane (G68.2), TCP (G43.4) and WESC (G54.4). So, I set my work offset "usually" on the part datums, Center of rotation info is in the CNC's control in parameters so I don't really "need" to know it, or have it anywherein my CAM system.

I was unable to open your file in Mastercam 2021...

I am so thankful to you for your response.  Even that information you shared has cleared up questions I have had.  If others are so helpful I think I will feel very good about my chances.

Hmm, I downloaded it from the site and it opened on my end.  I wonder what it could be.  Maybe I should send it in MC2020 as well.

Here you go can you open it now?

Complete assembled table and 5 axis jaws with part.zip

• Like 1

Sorry I see no toolpaths put to the part. Have you even been training on how to use Mastercam? Here is the part back with 50 minutes of my time put into it. I machining into your riser.

Major issues I see.

That part is not going to stay put on that fixture.

The bolt is to short to hold that part to the fixture. Make the round on the fixture a slot and now you have a locate feature to keep the part from moving while spinning. Make a Square boss on the bottom of the part to remove after doing the work here.

Not enough holding force for the part in the 5 Axis vice. You have the whole jaws to stick it in make it longer to get more support. Use it to your advantage.

Fixture not designed to allow you to cut all around the part.

The 5th Axis Vices are Self Centering not One sided like a Kurt Vice I have fixed that as well. 

Part doesn't lend itself to OPTI-ROUGH toolpaths. I am showing Waterline and Surface finish Contour in my example file. 

Dropbox link

Looks liek there was a problem in my download the 1st time. Sorry for the confusion.

I second Ron's opinion. That part will move. There's no way to maintain clocking.

If there were, "I" would set X, Y, Z at the center of the boss and top of the fixture. Also, that fixture, I'd sink further down in the vise so I could get some clampng force on it. This would give give you the most rigidity possible.

The ellipse within the concave is going to be a problem. You need a radius on those feature intersections otherwise you'll have a REALLY hard time not gouging something. (probably the wall).

JM2CFWIW

:coffee:

On 9/21/2020 at 7:17 AM, tpreb6 said:

Laebs,

The Dynamic Milling Toolpath is a really nice tool and once you understand it you will find a lot of places to use it. I would like to see the file also and get you headed in the right direction.

I am a tool hog!  I try to look at every option available, learn it, and then decide which "tool' to use in a given situation. I use solid edges a lot but I also use wireframe.  It really depends on the situation.  I always think that any option that I am given is a chance to make my life-programming/designing- easier!

On 9/15/2020 at 9:23 PM, crazy^millman said:

I can show you levels upon level of wireframe I have this current part, but for 5 axis toolpaths I am using more and more solid wireframe to drive them. I don't ever see Mastercam every getting to the point of not needing it. Even the most advanced toolpaths still sometimes need help. I have worked with several customers in the last year using different CAM Software. Everyone of them that do it for you are lacking greatly in toolpath creation along with control. With the AD push many are running out of good options for a Software that allows you the freedom and Control Mastercam does. There are other good CAM Software out there no doubt.

Now we just need Laebs to post up a file.

You guys are both pretty awesome.  All our fixture designs our handled by our Product Design engineering department,aka "PD's" .  From there the prints are sent to our tool room where the fixtures are built.  We the programmers write the program to machine the part.  This all culminates on the floor where the part is machined.

I brought your observations to the toolmakers on Saturday.  I did give credit where due.  I said "two guys from emastercam.com have been helping me with this have said it will not work",  I got a weird looking eyebrow raise..😉hehehe, man I could not help but laugh which just made them look at me more weirdly.  Anyways, without telling them the reason you said it would not work they looked at it and said exactly the same.  It was much more colorful as you may imagine. lol.  I hope I did not create a situation they already have great dislike for what they call the "college kids" in product design. 

I will work on it more and report back.

Thank you

10 minutes ago, Laebs said:

You guys are both pretty awesome.  All our fixture designs our handled by our Product Design engineering department,aka "PD's" .  From there the prints are sent to our tool room where the fixtures are built.  We the programmers write the program to machine the part.  This all culminates on the floor where the part is machined.

I brought your observations to the toolmakers on Saturday.  I did give credit where due.  I said "two guys from emastercam.com have been helping me with this have said it will not work",  I got a weird looking eyebrow raise..😉hehehe, man I could not help but laugh which just made them look at me more weirdly.  Anyways, without telling them the reason you said it would not work they looked at it and said exactly the same.  It was much more colorful as you may imagine. lol.  I hope I did not create a situation they already have great dislike for what they call the "college kids" in product design. 

I will work on it more and report back.

Thank you

Glad to help and keep us posted on your journey. The part needs to have a Process Review meeting. This is what we do with several of our customers before starting a project. Since you have a vast team have a product review meeting with the different departments. Nothing like experience and a degree is just part of the process and hopefully a good balance will come and the group will be better for it.