Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool database?

medaq

Just curious how others are handling their tool data base ( tool manager )for multiple machines? Are you building a data base for each machine? I wish the tool manager had an option to select which machine I was working on and share the data base. So not have to rebuild tools that are already built? Or am I missing an easier way to share tools through machines?

• Like 1
Just now, medaq said:

Just curious how others are handling their tool data base ( tool manager )for multiple machines? Are you building a data base for each machine? I wish the tool manager had an option to select which machine I was working on and share the data base. So not have to rebuild tools that are already built? Or am I missing an easier way to share tools through machines?

As most of my work is Mazak HMC's, I guess I'm lucky to be able to draw on a single library.

I do maintain a separate one for VMC's and then the mill-turns though 

• Like 1
Just now, JParis said:

As most of my work is Mazak HMC's, I guess I'm lucky to be able to draw on a single library.

I do maintain a separate one for VMC's and then the mill-turns though 

I was afraid that would be the answer. I hate having to maintain multiple tool manager database's.  Would love to switch machine and select tools and tool holders that are already defined. 

Just now, medaq said:

Would love to switch machine and select tools and tool holders that are already defined. 

You "could" do that but yeah, it would likely be different files if you are using standard in the machine tooling

Everything on the HMC is CAT40 Shrink, down stairs on the VMC's most is side lockers....the millturns are KMZ63, CAT40 and HSK63...

If you have a post for each machine, differing files are easy to handle...it it's the same post....well, you gotta switch them up...

@byte me might be able to offer a hook option

2 minutes ago, medaq said:

I was afraid that would be the answer. I hate having to maintain multiple tool manager database's.  Would love to switch machine and select tools and tool holders that are already defined. 

Well you don't have to you can share one Database how you want, but the issue will be how do you track what works in one machine and what doesn't if they are different tapers? I know if shops with BT30, BT40, Cat 40, Cat 50, HSKA-63, HSKA-100 and CAPTO C6 and C8. Having all of those holders and tools in one Database would for me be a night mare.

We have built a "Master Tool Library" that is mirrored from our FTS System in the Tool Crib.

Evrey tool we have is in there. (over 1400)

For the Verticals (Cat40) we just pull from the master, add a holder and go.

We also have separate libraries for our cells (HSK63A) and our Brothers (BT30)

So, Just copy a tool from the Master library to the Cell library, add a holder and adjust speeds/feeds if nesessary.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, medaq said:

I have created dummy files with the machine defs and relevant tool data base for each machine that i program for.

14 minutes ago, kccadcam said:

We have built a "Master Tool Library" that is mirrored from our FTS System in the Tool Crib.

Evrey tool we have is in there. (over 1400)

For the Verticals (Cat40) we just pull from the master, add a holder and go.

We also have separate libraries for our cells (HSK63A) and our Brothers (BT30)

So, Just copy a tool from the Master library to the Cell library, add a holder and adjust speeds/feeds if nesessary.

I think I've heard Crazy mention he always locks his holder and tool together.   What are the pros and cons of doing that as opposed to doing what is mentioned above?  I need to build a new robust tool library from the ground up and want to get it correct from the beginning.  

40 minutes ago, metalmansteve said:

I think I've heard Crazy mention he always locks his holder and tool together.   What are the pros and cons of doing that as opposed to doing what is mentioned above?  I need to build a new robust tool library from the ground up and want to get it correct from the beginning.  

We have built some common assemblies for the verticals. (most of it is on the fly for each job, we only have so many Cat40 holders)

Our Cell system the tool and holder are only saved as an assembly. (permanent unless obsolete)

On 9/16/2020 at 1:07 PM, metalmansteve said:

Yes by making your holder library your tool library with everything combined you never have to do anything in your Mastercam file file. Currently if you have a tool library and need to use a holder not it in the then for every new operation you have to go pick your holder library. My CAT40 Holder library is 12mb time I have combined all the different tools libraries in it. Notice I only have one assembly shows you how many of them I have used and built over the years.

11 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

Does anyone keep separate libraries based on material?

I have material libraries for both basic materials and specific types of material. Different types of aluminum will basically the same speeds and feeds and only need a couple of libraries while different types of steels and plastics needs their own separate libraries. I also have different process speeds/feeds for each material in the libraries. A new end mill added into a 316 stainless library will start with four tool processes and more will be added as needed.

So we have separate holder libraries from our tool libraries, and our tool libraries are separated by material and hardness, since we do a lot of rough milling and hard milling.  I have brought up to Mastercam the possibility of tying a certain holder library to a certain machine definition, as we have one machine that uses HSK63, and I get tired of re-selecting that holder library so much when I need to use it.

18 hours ago, medaq said:

Would love to switch machine and select tools and tool holders that are already defined. 

Are you asking for a way to simultaneously update the machine def and tool/holder library? If so what kind of machines/tools, mill or lathe ,wire? 

10 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Ron,

Is this not the best thing to do? Have known tool assys with proven speeds and feeds, for each material?

I can't speak for everyone, but I tried this in the past and found it to be a huge PITA. 

The reason - We have 4 variations in 40 taper machines and 3 variations in 50 taper. Different horse power, different rigidity, different spindle speeds, etc.

I started to keep a library for each machine combined with each material back in the X6 era.  I can't remember what happened, but half of my libraries became corrupt and got trashed.  I was so PO'd after that I stopped doing it. 

I should probably go back to doing it that was as it was definitely more efficient.

19 minutes ago, Neurosis said:

I started to keep a library for each machine combined with each material back in the X6 era.  I can't remember what happened, but half of my libraries became corrupt and got trashed.

You'd be better off storing your data in a .mcx file imo, more stable but it still will get trashed sometimes.

Mcx much more stable.

1 hour ago, Neurosis said:

I can't speak for everyone, but I tried this in the past and found it to be a huge PITA. 

The reason - We have 4 variations in 40 taper machines and 3 variations in 50 taper. Different horse power, different rigidity, different spindle speeds, etc.

Okay makes sense.

My place we had 4x #40 identical machines, and 3x #30 identical machines. So we were all about standardisation, so any job could go on any machine.

Bottlenecks would have broken me, if only that job could go on this machine and this job go on that machine....

33 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Okay makes sense.

My place we had 4x #40 identical machines, and 3x #30 identical machines. So we were all about standardisation, so any job could go on any machine.

Bottlenecks would have broken me, if only that job could go on this machine and this job go on that machine....

In cases like that I program for both machines, just in case there has to be a machine switch.

We have seperate file directories for each machine and all parts are named with the current rev # included.

• Like 1

Well since I have to program for so many different machine in a year I just keep it all in my head. I have every speed and feed for everything Material memorized and the ones I don't remember I either use the Manufactures Speeds and feeds or HSM Advisor. Normally I am always well above the recommend that I max out most machines anyway. I am the crazy person in the room most times so I just run with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1