Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

cast magnesium

HEAVY METAL

I have never worked with the stuff so I don't have any advice but also have heard of people burning down their machines cutting that stuff so its good that your already aware of the fire hazard so you can get the proper safety measures in place prior to making any chips. Looking forward to hearing what people that have machined the stuff have to say about it. 

• Like 1

Been a while since I cut it, but I do remember that it cuts like aluminum.  DO NOT  let the chips get hot.  Get the chips out of the machine as soon as you're done...

Tried to light up a piece of sheet metal and nothing, my dumbass thought it would be a good idea to put the torch on the chips....I think I went 12 feet in one step, thank god for fire extinguishers...  Machine was OK too, but I just about had a heart attack 

• Like 1

+1,000,000 to the fire extinguisher...in all seriousness, don't start cutting without one nearby...

Sharp tools....try not to "dust" a chip....coolant, coolant, coolant...

The stuff is most apt to go up with very light chips and and heat...

It is very soft and cuts easily, it can be a bit towards the gummy side

• Like 2

Its all about the heat and fuel load  do not make spider web with Mag or you will light it off, and keep it to big chips like alum, and use coolant it keeps everything nice and cool HEAT IS YOUR ENEMY  You should have the buckets of Mag Dust and a fire extinguisher   put a bucket on both sides of the access points of the machine and stop it from time to time to keep the bulk out of the mill that way there is not much to burn. and then make sure you clean the coolant off the parts/material it will stain so dont let it sit over night with pools of coolant in any pockets or holes  that dont go thru . also as JP says do not let the tools get dull  and rub is BAD.  other than that it does cut like Alum, though. I like to do a sanity check  when you cutting and catch some chips and see how warm they are  if your not going to fast they should just feel  some warmth less is better if they are hot then your to fast.  Other than that   Let It Rip.  Make sure your not making ANY DUST ANYWHERE  IT CAN CATCH FIRE PRETTY EASY  THEN YOUR OFF TO THE RACES.

:cheers: 

• Like 1

+1 to the proper fire extinguisher... and a bucket of sand to smother it too.

+1 to keep clearing the chips out of the machine often to minimize the chance of a big fire... and empty the machine completely when everyone goes home... then... all chips are removed from the shop and taken outside and away from the building, so if a fire starts, it is contained in a proper container away from everything.

+1 to it cutting like aluminum... well sort of... more like 7075 aluminum... it’s a bit tougher on tools because it’s abrasive, but not too bad.

The biggest thing to tell operators is, be careful not to rub a steel tool holder spinning in the spindle against a steel clamp, stud or fixture... the one fire I seen, started by the sparks of steel to steel contact that ignited some loose chips on top of the part.  

It’s not a big deal as long as proper precautions are taken seriously.

• Like 1

Back when I was a lowercase machinist I ran a casting magnesium job. I forgot to run one piece so I took the tap out and indicated it in as best as I could.then proceeded to drive the tap down through the casting because I had to use that part of the program to get it in position and never went back to the top. Luckily the casting just cracked.

• Like 1

CLASS D extinguisher is a must within 10 ft.

clean out chips as often as possible. I'm against coolant. dry uncoated sharp ground carbide only.

I had a small fire once in the 80's, the tool grazed the collet, thats all it takes, one spark... good thing there wasn't many chips. (less than a handful)

Coolant and water only feed it like gasoline. 

(pro tip) turn the scrap / extra stock into thin chips for the campfire. :D

• Like 1