Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Deep pocket in aluminum

I am machining a 4x5x3" deep (0.78 corner rad) pocket in  6061 Aluminum. My previous method used a 3/4 x 3.5" solid carbide rougher (with chip breakers) from Helical tool and finished the walls with a 1/2 reduced neck EM. With the rougher, I did a helical plunge with a dynamic toolpath and 2 passes axially (1.5" depths of cut). Although it cut great and we got high MRR, an operator recently broke the tool (due to the incorrect orientation of the workpiece) and now I am considering switching to an inserted tool of some sort to save money in the long run. Anyone have a tool recommendation to keep the MRR high? I used a single flute shearhog from AB tools to finish the run, but the MRR was not nearly as good and I got significant squealing during some of the cut that annoyed the entire office (we have electronic engineers and computer programmers throughout the building that couldn't stand the noise from the shop.)

I've considered the Sandvik CoroMill 790, but had trouble on their website finding one for the application so I thought I would see what you guys are doing before taking the risk of spending a good amount of money on something that, for a large part, would only be used in a couple of jobs in our shop. I am fine with a larger dia tool and coming back in to clean up the corners with a smaller diameter reduced neck endmill.

BTW, the stock is held in a vise and I am using a HAAS VF2SS.

Inserted tools will not match the MRR of a solid carbide tool.  And the tool body will likely cost more than the carbide cutter, increasing the cost of your operator's mistake.  If you have probing you can idiot proof the setup by making sure the stock is where it needs to be, at the cost of a few seconds of probing per part.

• Like 2

I agree with both of you. I do tend to probe parts and use macro variables to make sure the height measured is within a certain value of what it is supposed to be. I just didn’t think wasting the cycle time or manual entry programming time for this part was worth it (need to learn how to add drill cycles for probing still) .  I’m not faulting the operator as mistakes can happen and he is usually pretty on point. I was more getting at if there is a better option to solid carbide cost wise. 

Spending the extra time up front in programming is the whole reason I am doing strictly programming now. Take the time to do it and it will save you time later when you have to remake/repair something or losing more time to remake parts.

I will say I am a firm believer in you can never 100% dummy proof anything. You will just get a better dummy to beat you. The little things will just help make things easier.

• Thanks 1