Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

XY position

tazbierek

Hi all, one quick question

I want to put some points how to define xy position like here ?

I need to put some dimensions between point and that enteties 

Untitled.png

There is no option dimension between that enteties and point? is it really hard to do that? 

I dont want to put position from origin because i need to calculate it, and i can just delete mastercam and use calculator. also i dont like if i have to need create new origin or plane, because i will lost with that, there will be so many other origins then which i dont like i just want simply dimensions. 

1 minute ago, Thad said:

Prior to the X series of MC, there used to be a Relative option. So you could use Create Point Relative, click your corner, then type your incremental XY location. Not sure what happened to that with the interface change.

Create Point > Click Relative autocursor

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Thad said:

Prior to the X series of MC, there used to be a Relative option. So you could use Create Point Relative, click your corner, then type your incremental XY location. Not sure what happened to that with the interface change.

hitting space bar after clicking the anchor point maybe

Don't forget that Mastercam still supports the Autocad method of inputting X, Y and Z locations. To keep it simple, pick the point tool. Now, just start typing. 0,0,0 will put a point at X0-Y0 and Z0. Typing .5,1.5,2.0 will put a point at that location. Don't forget the commas. This also works for any and every position input.

Paul

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PAnderson said:

Don't forget that Mastercam still supports the Autocad method of inputting X, Y and Z locations. To keep it simple, pick the point tool. Now, just start typing. 0,0,0 will put a point at X0-Y0 and Z0. Typing .5,1.5,2.0 will put a point at that location. Don't forget the commas. This also works for any and every position input.

Paul

In this case, he wants to add points a specified distance off of non-zero edges.

Ok so i tried several options and,

I select enteties, and usin dynamic transform, puting gnom in center of enteties, transform to midpoint nex enteties and after that puting values to set distance from that enteties, i dont know if its the simplest way but it works . But i have to say if its the best way then its a waaaaaaaay worse than in fusion where i can select enteties put d(dimension) and simply select enteties which i want and put values,.

BTW Sorry for english, learning same as mastercam :) 

2 minutes ago, tazbierek said:

Ok so i tried several options and,

I select enteties, and usin dynamic transform, puting gnom in center of enteties, transform to midpoint nex enteties and after that puting values to set distance from that enteties, i dont know if its the simplest way but it works . But i have to say if its the best way then its a waaaaaaaay worse than in fusion where i can select enteties put d(dimension) and simply select enteties which i want and put values,.

BTW Sorry for english, learning same as mastercam :) 

That is called parametric controls and Mastercam is not there for a CAD system. It is primary a CAM software that offers CAD where as Fusion is a CAD trying to squeeze CAM into them. 

34 minutes ago, tazbierek said:

Hmm okay. Anyway have to use it as cad too so I need to try 

Well I can model just about anything I need in Mastercam from any print. I have taken some extremely complex models and done everything I need to them with Boolean add/remove for years before the Model Prep stuff came along. Before stock models existed I use to backlot the toolpaths and save the geometry and make solids of the part in the steps they were being made to through different operations machining of those parts. Now with Model Prep and other features in Mastercam I can normally do anything I need. I still like using Spaceclaim for certain things since it a true CAD software. I used Fusion and think they have a good interface, but the limits of Mastercam are not in it's CAD ability and as such don't limit me to do anything I need for any machine I make programs for. You will get there and good to see you asking great questions and digging into Mastercam. If you worked where I worked I would teach you and show you anything I can to help you along. 

12 hours ago, tazbierek said:

i dont know if its the simplest way but it works .

It doesn't sound like the simplest way to me. Try the method I (with the help of JP) mentioned above. 

Create point position-Autocursor Relative-click your corner- type in your XY position.

5 hours ago, Thad said:

It doesn't sound like the simplest way to me. Try the method I (with the help of JP) mentioned above. 

Create point position-Autocursor Relative-click your corner- type in your XY position.

Even simpler, just maintain shift clicking existing point (shift is hotkey to relative autocursor)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Elmer Fudd said:

Create parallel lines from edges and then create point at intersection of lines.

I normally make a center line at X0 Y0 and then start offsetting from there for wireframe. I need point then I do like you are suggesting and make an intersection of 2 lines and the make the point at that intersection. Many ways to draw something and get the job done.

Another way is to turn on grid and make the spacing a common number needed and then count off the grid, but I hate that process.