Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Calling all Tool Manager Gurus and shop floor personal

MetalSlinger5

I am going to build a holder library for every Techniks holder in our 2 machine shops, I have every .stp file from Techniks for every holder that they make and will pick and choose what we are already using and add as we purchase more. Here is my question for the guys that program not only for yourself and your shop, and the machinist on the floor, how do you like to see the information given to the machinist and operators on a setup sheet or however you present setup info?

1. As described on the actual holders:  SYIC 22915-4.72RR

2. as described on the websites: 22915-2.5-CAT40xSLN3_8_-2-1_2_

3. In more common terms: 1/4" solid endmill holder 3" gauge length

4. some other way

I am leaning as described on the holder so there is no confusion on what holder to use.  

• Like 1

I am using 2 descriptions in the available fields on the holder page. 

One is the Manufacturers code, the other is a generic description calling out the gage length and the diameter in some form:

3.0 GL- D 1.25

4.0 GL- ER20

6.0 GL-RD 0.75    RD indicates reduced (tapered) diameter, dimension is for nose. 

This aids the machinist in identifying alternates.

We have just started implementing this, so far so good, but time will tell.

• Like 1

Not all tools are filled in yet but the vast majority of them are. I came up with my own holder naming scheme based on what I have to work with at my current place (which is practically every holder manufacturer under the sun here, so its generic). Order numbers, stickouts yada yada.

Capture.JPG

• Like 4
On 9/25/2020 at 12:12 PM, gms1 said:

Not all tools are filled in yet but the vast majority of them are. I came up with my own holder naming scheme based on what I have to work with at my current place (which is practically every holder manufacturer under the sun here, so its generic). Order numbers, stickouts yada yada.

Capture.JPG

2 things, where did you get that layout?

I'm working in Romulus also

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2020 at 9:12 AM, gms1 said:

Capture.JPG

Are you willing to share this beauty of a template?  I'll buy you a beer or a burrito or a %$@#?

• Like 1

Setup sheets can be overwhelming. Yet, I do like to follow this format:
1st Sheet shows the Setup operator how the setup is going to look like and where the work offset is.  2nd sheet shows the stock size dimensions, orientations, fixtures and elaborates more on the work offset. 3rd sheet has operations tool list with basic description of what the tools are. 4th sheet has a detailed description of the tools and holders.

I wish we could have come up with some standard Tool Naming convention: Lets say if a tool 808 was to break, operator knows that it's a 3/16 flat end mill with cut flute of 0.5" and stick out length of 0.85" and it should be in ER16 holder.

If the tool was to break and operator has no setup sheets, just by reading the tool description the tool can be changed.

JParis, 1.25" Shearhog? really! ;)

tools.png

12 hours ago, Joe777 said:

JParis, 1.25" Shearhog? really!

Yup  :)

Most of our parts fit that window, so a quick face.....the ones that don't there usually isn't room on a tombstone for a 3 or 4" without getting into "other" parts because of part density.