Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mill boring bar material to remove

So not a Guru

32 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

I'm wondering what starting hole diameter would be recommended?

Ti is pretty tough so you might need to leave a little more stock than with say 15-5 to make sure you get a good chip.

Depending how big an insert and bar you can cram in there I wouldn't hesitate to start at .01 stock (per side) and check the results.

What quality Ti do they lumber you with? That can make a difference too.

25 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

Ti is pretty tough so you might need to leave a little more stock than with say 15-5 to make sure you get a good chip.

Depending how big an insert and bar you can cram in there I wouldn't hesitate to start at .01 stock (per side) and check the results.

What quality Ti do they lumber you with? That can make a difference too.

Ti CP 40KSI AMS4902, it cuts pretty well and doesn't distort much.

I usually leave .001 per side.

Solid bars sometimes I have to spring it a few or 20 times. Inserted bars usually run better.

Once the size is set and the hole comes out with a taper you just keep springing it because if you open it up when if finally cuts it will be oversized.

We've bored slots in titanium too. 

Once it's dialed in I may open up the pilot hole closer to finish also

• Like 1
7 hours ago, So not a Guru said:

Yes leave about .0003 to .0006 with a carbide reamer. You can dial it in pretty good. Need to watch not to good a finish. I have had 8um and hit a 2um and the parts were rejected for being to smooth and not allowing the seal at -356F degrees to seal correctly. They had to change the print requirements on all parts after that to say 4um to 8um finish required.