mayu

How to Become a Post Developer

Hello EM,

How does someone become a full-time post developer?

What is the typical trajectory for obtaining such a position?

Is there a formal curriculum of courses and training for this type of work?

Do you have to be a reseller or own a Mastercam license?

Thank you

• Like 2

I noticed you didn't get an answer. I've been trying to self educate myself on post-processor work AND DO MY JOB for over a year. I don't get paid to learn how to edit posts. I get in trouble IF I don't learn it quick enough!!! I work for a very large company that has a large variety of machines. I can't continue to ask for more $ because I can't edit a post!  It's very difficult. It's ridiculous to spend so much money on software then not be able to modify it to your machine without paying more for someone else to do it. There is not much help. The Mastercam post-class is barely worth watching. Some of the members here have good videos and can help. Some resellers are not educated or do not have time to train you. It is very frustrating!!! Good Luck!!!

16 hours ago, denkizz said:

I noticed you didn't get an answer. I've been trying to self educate myself on post-processor work AND DO MY JOB for over a year. I don't get paid to learn how to edit posts. I get in trouble IF I don't learn it quick enough!!! I work for a very large company that has a large variety of machines. I can't continue to ask for more $ because I can't edit a post!  It's very difficult. It's ridiculous to spend so much money on software then not be able to modify it to your machine without paying more for someone else to do it. There is not much help. The Mastercam post-class is barely worth watching. Some of the members here have good videos and can help. Some resellers are not educated or do not have time to train you. It is very frustrating!!! Good Luck!!!

I taught myself to edit my current horizontal post at home using the Mastercam learning software and a free Emastercam post. It would only post the first three lines of toolpath code but I was more interested in making routers and subprograms than toolpath code. It took about nine months of training and writing to do what I was looking for. That was some very good experience. I don't know if you can do what I did on today's learning software.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 5:25 PM, denkizz said:

It's ridiculous to spend so much money on software then not be able to modify it to your machine without paying more for someone else to do it.

Get your boss to price out NX or Catia V5 (is V6 out?). With special attention  to what they charge for maintenance and posts. 

He probably won't think MC is so expensive after all.

Or you could go with the  Esprit model where you have no personal control of the post at all. (To be fair our programmer who is handling the lathes uses it and likes their post support).

Plenty of alternatives....

• Like 1

I think if you queried the "real" post developers that are employed by CNC and other external companies, you would find that most, have some kind of computer science degrees...a post is just logic to process information and output in a given format.

For the rest of us hackers and slashers, most of us learned on our own time with the provided information in the post guides, some help here and trial and error.

I can handle almost all of the post edits that I require at this point but when I was still learning 15+ years ago I came here with snippets of code and asked for direction.

To this day, if we put a new machine on the floor and I don't have the time to modify a post, I still purchase them as necessary.

The company I work for understands that a machine needs to be making parts and has no issue spending what we need to get making parts as fast as we can.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

Get your boss to price out NX or Catia V5 (is V6 out?). With special attention  to what they charge for maintenance and posts. 

He probably won't think MC is so expensive after all.

Or you could go with the  Esprit model where you have no personal control of the post at all. (To be fair our programmer who is handling the lathes uses it and likes their post support).

Plenty of alternatives....

Well there are those free ones out there that so there is that. :phone:

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2020 at 5:41 PM, mayu said:

Hello EM,

Thank you

CNC Software publishes full documentation which is available through your Mastercam Reseller. CNC Software also teaches a 3-Day Basic Post Processing Class at their campus in Tolland. It is not cheap, but the training is excellent.

Keep in mind that their is value in developing Posts, so most of that Development work is done by the Resellers, on a for-profit basis. The same for-profit basis your company uses to make money.

I have taught online classes previously on the Mastercam Post Processor for both Mills, Lathes, and 5-Axis as well.

I've made that content available, for free, on YouTube. You're welcome. How much time have you invested on your own, outside of work, on growing your own skills? I put up about 60 hours of content on how to do the basics and advanced stuff as well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

On 5/26/2021 at 5:25 PM, denkizz said:

I learned how to edit posts back when V6 (not X6 for the kids in the room) in the mid 90's. I was working for Mori Seiki (not DMG for said kids) at the time and I had a showroom with 7 machines I think and I needed like 4 different posts. This also pre-dated MPMaster so I had to start with MPFan. My local reseller (CAD/CAM Consulting) was instrumental in helping me get started. They gave me the old Post Processor Book which I read cover to cover on a business trip (on my own time). I asked a few questions and was able to figure a fair chunk of it out.

I'm nothing special. Barely graduated High School. Suck at math (at least the paper and pencil kind). However, I wrote LOGO (Apple) and BASIC (Commodore, etc...) programs as a kid so I had a very basic understanding of computer programming. I said all that to tell you that YOU are responsible for your own knowledge. Not your employer. Not your school. Not your CAD/CAM reseller. YOU! It's not popular. It's not convenient. It might even be offensive. However, truth is true regardless.

Now all that said, you should be able to get hold of the Post Processor Documentation from your reseller. They are responsible for getting you that information if you ask for it. They aren't helpful or knowledgable? Good. It's an opportunity to expand your professional network. Post Processor Development is hard? Good. We should all strive to do hard things. That is what creates elite professionals. Don;t know how or where to start? Good. You can to the right place. There's some GOOD mentors here if you don;t mind putting in the sweat equity. Guys like @Colin Gilchrist, @crazy^millman, etc... have been here forever and are more than happy to share their hard earned knowledge. 

So, you will need to have an idea of what modifications you need to make so I'm going to suggest you create a SIMPLE sample file (or files) to work from. This will save you untold hours of immense grief. Too few do this and pay the price later. This file should contain only enough "stuff" that you need to create any anticipated conditions you will encounter. So drilling cycles. Drill. Drill with Dwell. Peck. Chip Break. Bore. Bore with Shift. Bore with shift and dwell. A contour path or a rectangle... or a single line. A small surface patch. etc... Seriously. Simple is your friend when you're debugging a post. If you've got some massive mold cavity with 200 operations, you'll NEVER get anything accomplished. Toggle the coolant modes. etc... Seriously, you can have a decent sample file with like 20 operations and like 3 tools  to test 90+% of what you'll run into.

And last but not least, figure out where/who your resources are. Don't ask for free $#!+ (not that you did/do/are... I just put that in for the benefit of future readers of this topic) ... ask for help to learn. You'll get WAY farther personally and professionally.

Post work is hard. There's no two ways about it. I'm not nearly as good as I was BITD because I've got new tools/toys that make post building infinitely easier but i never forget where I came from because it's what brought me here where I am now.

HTH

:coffee:

• Thanks 1
  • Like 7

On 9/25/2020 at 5:41 PM, mayu said:

Hello EM,

Thank you

On 5/26/2021 at 8:25 PM, denkizz said:

By the way, I'll be doing a YouTube Live session this weekend on how to edit the Custom Drill Cycles, to add support for Renishaw Probing, to the MPMaster Post. This will be an opportunity to learn and ask other Post Questions as well. Try searching "MP 101" or "MP 301" on YouTube, and subscribe to my channel so you can get notifications. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

I got caught up with exploring a new feature in Mastercam; the ability to add Custom Bitmap Graphics to a Drill Cycle. So I ended up building Graphics for Protected Positioning P9810, XYZ Single Point O9811, Web/Pocket O9812, Bore/Boss O9814, B-Axis Align O9817/O9818, and Stock Allowance O9820.

I'll do the Live session this coming weekend, to give people a chance to prepare. I'll post the Date/Time soon.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

I got caught up with exploring a new feature in Mastercam; the ability to add Custom Bitmap Graphics to a Drill Cycle. So I ended up building Graphics for Protected Positioning P9810, XYZ Single Point O9811, Web/Pocket O9812, Bore/Boss O9814, B-Axis Align O9817/O9818, and Stock Allowance O9820.

I'll do the Live session this coming weekend, to give people a chance to prepare. I'll post the Date/Time soon.

Awesome! I thought I had missed it.

Thank you so very much for these sessions! I don't always get to watch them live, but I always watch them and I always learn something new.

• Like 1

Ok yall. I figured it out...well enough to make myself addicted!!! This is really fun when you kinda understand it. Hours of playing to get it perfect enough. I have simple stuff 3axis it's not too difficult. On to long lines of variables and formulas! I'm so excited.

Thanks for all the help. 

I'm addicted ;) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, denkizz said:

Ok yall. I figured it out...well enough to make myself addicted!!! This is really fun when you kinda understand it. Hours of playing to get it perfect enough. I have simple stuff 3axis it's not too difficult. On to long lines of variables and formulas! I'm so excited.

Thanks for all the help. 

I'm addicted ;) 

👍 Welcome to the club...

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 9:30 AM, JParis said:

To this day, if we put a new machine on the floor and I don't have the time to modify a post, I still purchase them as necessary.

The company I work for understands that a machine needs to be making parts and has no issue spending what we need to get making parts as fast as we can.

In some ways it is really not much different from buying tools for a CNC.  You wouldn't keep using high speed steel tooling because that it what it came with.  You couldn't be productive.  

And then there is the:  "Sorry boss, I forgot to edit the final program for the umpteenth time and the spindle was turning the wrong direction when it ran into the chuck and I didn't change a G0 to a G1"

For years I have encouraged anyone who will listen to get good post or modify it so that there are no hand edits.